• Show
Clear All
  • The Profit Joseph Sith
    Warrior
    • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
    Lap vertically.....

You can skip to 4:25 if you want
    Watched the vid. And couldn't believe how loose his tool fits. You can see it wobble in the carrier tunnel. The one i got from MidwayUSA is a PTG and fits so snug i had to twist it in most of the of the receivers and use plenty of lube.
    I dont think having you upper face perfectly level is that important so much as having it nearly vertical. I aslo noticed in the vid. When he used his phones level the case cover is obviously not parallel to the back.
    A good quality engineering square with bubble level would be MUCH better. Using actual machinist tools setups and mechanical verification... Priceless!
    I held mine by hand and rotated it as the tool spun slowly. Holding it down with as even pressure as possible. If i recall it was near vertical but not with particular attention to doing it vertically. So maybe I'll go redo them this weekend. It fit SOO tight i kinda highly doubt it would make a difference. The releif cuts are important as well. You really dont want ANY grinding inside the tunnel at all. I just checked and PTG sells a AR10 sized lapping tool as well for $30 whole dollars as well so its definitely worth the cash instead of wasting your time messing around making one. i will say mine was not 100% axially accurate. It wobbled a little in the drill. Which was concerning. Pretty sure it was the shank for the drill chuck. Lets face it these lapping tools are all super cheap and cheaply made. Something is wrong with their process in manufacturing or this wouldn't happen. I trust the wheelers even less than PTG (an actual tool and machining shop)
    Nice video though.
    Good thread has me rethinking this whole process.
    I use a DCM grinding tool at work daily for grinding punches and dies and although ive been able to grind some tools within a few thou of parallel its been beat to sh*t by many new hires and not reliable. Otherwise id be VERY tempted. And surprise.. This multi thousand dollar tool is a vertical grinder. Basically a vertical lathe. There's a quick 2 min YT video at the bottom of the page if anyones interested.
    Maintain and sharpen your turret press tooling fast by adding a punch & die grinder to your toolroom. Easy to use, fast, and reliable.
    Last edited by The Profit Joseph Sith; 01-13-2018, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X