• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crusty
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

Nuther New'un

Howdy folks, I'm a longtime lurker first time poster here from the Texas hill country. I've had my Grendel for a while now and these days I'm working up loads to see the accuracy that I'm expecting to see (and makin' some headway in that direction). Since I got mine together (mostly homebuilt) I've hardly touched my 5.56 because the Grendel is just more fun. I can't even hear 5.56 on steel at 250 yards but my 6.5 goes WHANG!. Hoo man - now that's what I'm talkin' about.

I put mine together to hunt deer and hogs. My "hunting rifles" are too nice to take out into the woods, so I wanted an accurate, hard hitting, reliable, durable rifle which wouldn't bother me if it got dinged and I believe that I've found it in my Grendel.

Mike
    I'll be yer Huckleberry.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum Crusty!

Comment

• Frontier Gear
      Warrior
      • Nov 2017

Mike,
      Welcome! I like your thinking with the Grendel. It's a great pairing with the AR.
      Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Texas
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum Crusty. By default the Grendel is your hunting rifle

Comment

• just_john
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2012

Welcome to the Clan, Crusty, from another Texian! Worked in Austin back in the '60's, spent a lot of time around Travis. Beautiful area, you are fortunate!

Comment

• Crusty
            Warrior
            • Dec 2017

John, this area isn't what it was when you were here. When the writers started publishing stories about what a great place Austin is, people from all over the world flooded (and it continues) into this area and these days it's a bit uncommon to hear a Texas accent. I try to never go into town because of the crazies on the road blazing away at each other since our traffic is enough to piss off the pope. It does still beat the metroplex though IMHO (spent my first 18yrs in Bedford). Here's a shot of downtown now.

It's quiet and peaceful here at the lake after the sun goes down, for which I'm thankful. I'll be here another year or so before I move to a lot that I own on the Black Warrior River in the Alabama backwoods.
            Last edited by Crusty; 12-27-2017, 08:14 PM.
            I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard.

I'm in the same boat. Every time I think about loading for .223 Rem with one of many different top-end .224 bullets I have, I look over at all my Grendel cases and stacks of much heavier, high BC 6.5mm bullets and never load .223 Rem.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Crusty
                Warrior
                • Dec 2017

Thanks all for the welcome. It's nice to not be dissed in at least a few places.
                I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                  Chieftain
                  • Oct 2016

Welcome! Sounds like you've found the right tool for the job. I too, like going to the range and making the guys shooting the heavy recoiling 308s look my way when I pound the steel as hard as they do at range from a small frame AR.
                  Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

Working...
                  X