• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Peregrine
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2017

BCG Recommendation needed

JP enhanced boltassembly completion group (bolt assembly, cam pin, firing pin, and firing pin retainer pin) worth the few extra bucks vs purchasing just the bolt itself?
    Gun control means using both hands.
  • Kswhitetails
    Chieftain
    • Oct 2016

This is my two cents, feel free to pass it by, but I also agonized over this particular piece for three builds now. By the third time, I learned to buy a carrier alone because I could save enough doing so to pay for a nice CH. You might say it was like new parents and children.

The first child never plays on the floor, never falls from your lap, never even looks at the car without a car seat strapped in with a come-along and some extra 0 gauge aircraft cable... etc. The second plays on the gravel drive way, gets left at the store, and grandma and grandpa are getting tired of him too. By the time the third rolls around, you're ready to leave them on the corner with a "free" sign and wondering why you ever worried about your first, who is now worried about getting somewhat dirty when he cuts the lawn... man, suck it up buttercup!

IMHO- get yourself a nitride treated toolcraft, or a 69.99 special PSA BCG, and swap the bolts. They are easy to clean, and damn near perfect for a Grendel. The important part is matching your head space, so buy the right bolt from JP. Me personally, I'd be looking at a cheap milspec bolt-sled at that point. The typical ROF in the Grendel is low enough in both rate and count to make most any decent carrier even sweat.

If you want the silver goodness of NiB or other "coating" to make it easier to clean, why? Black is the color of the burnt powder, it thus hides it better! If that is what you want though, it's your bang stick, get r done!

long story short, I would't put any more money than necessary into the carrier, it doesn't do much heavy lifting in the Grendel.
    Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

I bought a PSA Nitride 5.56/223 BCG on sale for $59.99 with free shipping last month. I’ll keep the 5.56 bolt for a spare and I’m going to use a spare group buy 6.5 Grendel bolt. This will be mated to the group buy 18” Faxon barrel.

I bought a Precision Firearms 6.5 Grendel BCG last year on sale and used a phospate PSA Premium Bolt carrier with my Shilen barrel which came with a supplied bolt. A Friend has bought a couple of Odin Works 6.5 Grendel BCG and they look real good. It’s believed Brownell’s 6.5 Grendel bolt are made by Toolcraft which also get good reviews.

Maxim Bolts are very good bolts and are used by several manufacturers of 6.5 Grendels.
      Last edited by VASCAR2; 12-27-2017, 07:31 PM.

Comment

• Torquaholic
        Bloodstained
        • Nov 2017

This could get a ton of different replies; I'll add this:

AA, PF, Maxim, JP, or the group buy bolts should be made to the correct dimensions with a .136" face depth and 2.810" bolt length, so they should work with standard firing pins.

Since you are looking at a high dollar bolt, I'll say you could get a nice 5.56 BCG and swap the bolt out for the Grendel variant, then keep the 5.56 bolt as a spare for another gun or sell it.

BCM or LMT are easy choices. BCM offers an IonBond FDE type that's easy to clean.

Azimuth offers an enhanced BCG, melonite makes cleaning easier too. RangerProof, Radian, etc offer that profile.

Comment

• StoneHendge
          Chieftain
          • May 2016

Get a JP Low Mass Carrier to go with that shiny bolt. And then mate it with a Silent Capture Spring. There's nothing easier to clean and its downright dreamy.
          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• AZHTfreak
            Warrior
            • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
            IMHO- get yourself a nitride treated toolcraft, or a 69.99 special PSA BCG, and swap the bolts. They are easy to clean, and damn near perfect for a Grendel. The important part is matching your head space, so buy the right bolt from JP. Me personally, I'd be looking at a cheap milspec bolt-sled at that point. The typical ROF in the Grendel is low enough in both rate and count to make most any decent carrier even sweat.

If you want the silver goodness of NiB or other "coating" to make it easier to clean, why? Black is the color of the burnt powder, it thus hides it better! If that is what you want though, it's your bang stick, get r done!

long story short, I would't put any more money than necessary into the carrier, it doesn't do much heavy lifting in the Grendel.
            +++1, I simply CANNOT justify the added expense of the depleted uranium rhinoceros foreskin BCGs out there, it ain't a handbag...
            Last edited by AZHTfreak; 12-27-2017, 07:55 PM.
            DOJ+FBI+IRS+AFT=NKVD. Joe Stalin and Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria are tap dancing in hell right now...

Comment

• Frontier Gear
              Warrior
              • Nov 2017

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
              Get a JP Low Mass Carrier to go with that shiny bolt. And then mate it with a Silent Capture Spring. There's nothing easier to clean and its downright dreamy.
              Looking at that thing is kind of like drooling over an exotic sports car. I have no use for one, I can't afford one, but boy does it look nice!

4665.jpg
              Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• kcb38
                Warrior
                • Jun 2017

IMHO- get yourself a nitride treated toolcraft...
                That's what I just did, along with a gen-you-wine 6.5 Grendel Forum "Monster" bolt. 70 bucks for the bcg shipped and now I have a spare bolt for 5.56.
                Last edited by kcb38; 12-27-2017, 08:57 PM.
                - Kirk -

Comment

• Peregrine
                  Bloodstained
                  • Dec 2017

I looked at the LMT enhanced bolt carrier and the BCM enhanced bolt carrier group with a 5.56 bolt for $20 more than the LMT. Out of the two, I’d lean towards the BCM, but... now I’m intrigued by what Stonehendge is saying. I know he does some really nice builds.

Is there a significant difference in feel with the whole JP setup? Just curious. I don’t want to blow my build budget, so now I have check pricing. I know it’s not cheap. You know what they say, champagne taste, beer budget.
                  Last edited by Peregrine; 12-27-2017, 09:52 PM.

Comment

• Texas
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2016

I purchased a Gen II BCG from Primary Arms just before Christmas for $70.00. The monster bolts work quite well with standard 5.56 carriers.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

My, but you've come a long way since polling the Horde for a chromed BCG! Very solid and practical approach.
                      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• StoneHendge
                        Chieftain
                        • May 2016

Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Peregrine
                          Bloodstained
                          • Dec 2017

I appreciate all of your input on this. I enjoy reading opinions from many points of view and I’m really glad I joined this forum. Thanks guys.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                            Chieftain
                            • Oct 2016

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
                            My, but you've come a long way since polling the Horde for a chromed BCG! Very solid and practical approach.
                            If I have, then its in no small part thanks to you and many of your cohorts here. There are a few good folks left, and many seemingly have made a home around the Grendel round table. I am humbled to be able to hurl a turkey leg or two with the Clan Grendel.

I threw my two cents in, and apparently, great minds think alike. I wanted my first build to have the "best" of everything, this was to be my crowning build afterall. It didn't take me long to figure out that the fancy parts don't mean much of a hill of beans out in the corn stalks or on the bench. Providence does not always equal performance, it just took me wasting money on my first go-round to figure that out.

If I was in the OP shoes again though, I think a milspec carrier and a Silent Captured Spring from JP would be worth every penny. just sayin'
                            Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Bwild97
                              Warrior
                              • Jan 2015

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
                              Sorry SH, I strongly disagree to the use of a lightweight carrier for the 6.5 Grendel. I have experimented extensively with carrier weights and found that the heavier the reciprocating assembly is the better (to an extent).

The reason more mass is better, goes like this. As the high pressure gas makes its way through the gas tube and then the gas key, the gas is then directed to the gas expansion chamber behind the bolt,

the expanding gases push the bolt forward (BEFORE) the carrier begins to move rearward. (Here is where the carriers mass comes into play) the amount of force the bolt gets to move forward (ever so slightly)

is directly related to the weight of the carrier.

The forward motion of the bolt is important because it allows the locking lugs of the bolt and extension to slightly separate while the bolt rotates to disengage from the extension.

Most people will never know this to be an issue until they start breaking bolts and getting accelerated cam pin wear. You can monitor the issue by watching the wear pattern on the back side of the bolts locking lugs,

if they appear to be smearing or rounding off with metal squishing off them, you should add some weight to the reciprocating assembly.
                              Last edited by Bwild97; 12-28-2017, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X