• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Peregrine
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2017

Totquaholoc,

The only difference I noticed between the Sanders Enhanced BCG and the Radian Enhanced BCG is that the Sanders bolt has a phosphate coating and the Radian has a black nitride coating. Otherwise, they appear to be identical.
    Gun control means using both hands.

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

Low mass carriers were made for competition. Specialized accessories such as ultra light -short reset triggers, adjustable gas blocks, muzzle brakes, and buffers tuned to the competitors ammo, can reduce recoil enough to squeeze out faster times . If reliability and durability is an important factor, I would stick to a mill spec carrier like the BMC. Jim Sullivan who was the actual designer,"not the inventor" of the M-16 stated, "you want more weight on the carrier, not less". He thought it was amusing people keep trying to shave weight off the AR bolt carrier.

Comment

• bj139
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2017

No problem. If it turned out bad, I could have let LRRPF52 take the blame. Just kidding.

Comment

• StoneHendge
          Chieftain
          • May 2016

-JP Grendel bolt on left with about 1600 rounds on it in a JP low mass carrier.
          -Fail Zero NiB 556 bolt in center with about 800 22 Nosler rounds on it and 300 of 556 - Standard carrier.
          -Unused 2A Arms 556 bolt on right (which resides in a black ion Ti regulated carrier - Bada Bling! )

BAB62419-24F3-4104-8E74-C6C53C3B7ED8.jpeg

Not seeing anything on the JP bolt that would give me pause and think there is excessive wear.

I would note that I spent 50% more time cleaning (or attempting to clean the NiB bolt which has the allegedly world famous super duper EXO NiB coating
          Attached Files
          Last edited by StoneHendge; 12-31-2017, 04:44 AM.
          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• StoneHendge
            Chieftain
            • May 2016

For a possibly better comparison, JP bolt in the center flanked by a pair of unfired BFT Industries Monster bolts

419F3FA1-5723-4CF5-89D0-22409BA5537C.jpeg

To give an idea of where the pixie dust is sprinkled, JP LMOS on left, Toolcraft in center and 2A Titanium SuperBling on the right

D239EF51-3097-4805-A80B-BE139F853129.jpeg
            Last edited by StoneHendge; 12-31-2017, 03:36 AM.
            Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• biodsl
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2011

Originally posted by montana View Post
              Low mass carriers were made for competition. Specialized accessories such as ultra light -short reset triggers, adjustable gas blocks, muzzle brakes, and buffers tuned to the competitors ammo, can reduce recoil enough to squeeze out faster times . If reliability and durability is an important factor, I would stick to a mill spec carrier like the BMC. Jim Sullivan who was the actual designer,"not the inventor" of the M-16 stated, "you want more weight on the carrier, not less". He thought it was amusing people keep trying to shave weight off the AR bolt carrier.
              All of this may be true, but this I know: if I was in the top tax bracket I'd definitely have JP build me one of his rifles in 6.5 Grendel. A thing of beauty.

Oh, for the record, my bolts ride in BCM and PF carriers.
              Last edited by biodsl; 12-31-2017, 04:33 AM.
              Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• montana
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

I never said we shouldn't purchase exotic or create experimental Franken guns LOL In fact most of my rifles are a mix and match creations of race and practical builds that are proven reliable to me. My basement is full of left over body, "firearm" parts from failed experiments. I try not to assume, "everyone who is looking for advice" is an addicted firearm weirdo like myself. I like to give advice which teaches the basics, before they are ready to tread in the waters of creating aberrations of nature. It can be an expensive club to join.
                Last edited by montana; 12-31-2017, 04:14 PM.

Comment

• Peregrine
                  Bloodstained
                  • Dec 2017

I’ve been looking at the Young Mfg. stripped bolt carriers and Brownell’s carrier key staking tool. Seems like staking is relatively easy with the tool, but I could see a lot of problems if you don’t do it correctly. This was more for my edification, rather than a serious consideration.

Apparently Young Mfg. makes a 6.5 Grendel bolt. I thought I read somewhere that Daniel Defense uses Young Mfg. BCGs in their rifles.
                  Last edited by Peregrine; 12-31-2017, 04:46 PM.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                    Chieftain
                    • May 2016

I never said we shouldn't purchase exotic or create experimental Franken guns LOL In fact most of my rifles are a mix and match creations of race and practical builds that are proven reliable to me. My basement is full of left over body, "firearm" parts from failed experiments. I try not to assume, "everyone who is looking for advice" is an addicted firearm weirdo like myself. I like to give advice which teaches the basics, before they are ready to tread in the waters of creating aberrations of nature. It can be an expensive club to join.
                    GreyWyrm takes issue with the Frankengun comment.

511FF66D-D77C-49A4-97B7-5902E1EB4E8C.jpeg

Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• montana
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2011

My creations wear the name Franken gun with pride.

IMG_0033_2.jpg

Comment

• Peregrine
                        Bloodstained
                        • Dec 2017

I found this interesting. Young Mfg. does not stake the gas key. Explanation here.

Comment

• montana
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Peregrine View Post
                          I found this interesting. Young Mfg. does not stake the gas key. Explanation here.
                          Be careful when using high strength Loc tite or Permatex, it takes high heat,"550 degrees" to break the bond for any kind of thread removal. Colt uses Permatex gasket sealer on their gas keys and Young doesn't. Colt stakes and Young doesn't. Life is full of choices

Comment

• Peregrine
                            Bloodstained
                            • Dec 2017

The more you know...

Comment

• Klem
                              Chieftain
                              • Aug 2013

I have used the staking tool. One time we noticed Brownells was selling BCG parts dirt cheap, but unassembled. We purchased three stripped BCG's, keys and screws and the staking tool. It's pretty easy to assemble; first, smear a layer of liquid gasket on the mating surface of the key and then red Loktite the two nuts to mate the key to the BCG. Wipe off the excess gasket that presses out when you screw it up. Then use the staking tool. I will say the Brownells staking is severe compared to a manufacturer-bought one. It is both thick and deep. It also strips any coating off the BCG so you are left with a black BCG with four shiny silver screw channels on the key. You also need to check finish the staking with a few passes of a file to get rid of any burrs. Once you do that it works fine. Should have bought more at the time but everyone's a genius in hindsight.

Not all manufacturers gasket-seal their keys which is a potential source of gas leak. No doubt they do this to save time and cost. Given most systems are over-gassed and the whole system leaks like a sieve anyway it is probably not an issue but if you're going to do it yourself you may as well assemble MILSPEC.

The BCG takes an extraordinary amount of heat, shock and gas pressure which is why staking is a standard. Thread glues heat and eventually break, even Rockset so if you don't stake then you are relying on the thread glue alone. It's not simply a case of keeping it from coming apart but also keeping it pressure sealed.
                              Last edited by Klem; 12-31-2017, 11:24 PM.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                                Chieftain
                                • May 2016

My creations wear the name Franken gun with pride.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10650[/ATTACH]
                                It would be unfair to my FrAnKenBuS to call any of my guns franken.....

54B811CD-6F2B-4DC8-9823-3BF0611424DD.jpeg
                                Let's go Brandon!

Comment

Working...
                                X