• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • earlwb
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2017

My Grendel AR upper

I had bought the parts before Christmas and finished getting it together. My Christmas present to myself. I used a 24 inch Bear Creek barrel and BC bolt too. The receiver is a side charging one. That way I don't have any problems with the charging handle using a scope and cheekrest on the rifle. The hand guard doesn't have rails on it as it won't clear the 6-24x44 scope as mounted. But the scope has about 1/8 of a inch clearance right now. I still need to double check the chamber to make sure the headspace is OK though. Anyway they had some great sales before Christmas and I couldn't pass them up. I also got the reloading dies and empty cases, etc to load up some ammo for it as well. I did get some factory ammo to use as a reference too.

6.5 Grendel AR15_01.jpg

6.5 Grendel AR15_02.jpg

6.5 Grendel AR15_04.jpg
    Last edited by earlwb; 12-27-2017, 11:03 PM. Reason: typo correction
  • Frontier Gear
    Warrior
    • Nov 2017

Very fun! I like those side chargers as well. Be careful with the exposed gas block and tube. They get hot and can leak a little as well. Don't burn your hand.
    Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Sticks
      Chieftain
      • Dec 2016

Liking that handguard. Make and model?
      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• earlwb
        Bloodstained
        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
        Liking that handguard. Make and model?
        It is a Hogue AR-15 Knurled Aluminum Free Float Forend - Rifle Length. I bought it from Primary Arms. They also have them in pistol and carbine lengths too.
        ref http://www.primaryarms.com/hogue-ar-...length-ho15034
        Midway has it too

Hogue has a bunch of different types too:
        Last edited by earlwb; 12-28-2017, 03:56 AM. Reason: typo correction

Comment

• earlwb
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Frontier Gear View Post
          Very fun! I like those side chargers as well. Be careful with the exposed gas block and tube. They get hot and can leak a little as well. Don't burn your hand.
          Thanks, yeah I was thinking about that myself too. Fortunately I am right handed, so that keeps my front arm out of the way. I think that one definitely needs the screw in back plug for the rear where the charging handle used to be. That keeps any blow by gasses from coming at your eye and face.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
            Warrior
            • Nov 2017

That should have come with a screw to plug that hole in the rear of the upper. All of mine have.
            Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• earlwb
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2017

Primary Arms had it on sale at like 50% off and they showed the screw plug in the pictures, but it wasn't in the set when it arrived. They are rectifying it though, as they mailed out a plug to me already. It might have been a clearance kind of thing, and the plug wasn't part of the deal at the time. But in the future it is possible that the plug may be a optional kind of thing.

Comment

• bj139
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2017

Nice build. Gnarly.

Both of my side chargers have the screw in the back.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2017

Originally posted by earlwb View Post
                  Primary Arms had it on sale at like 50% off and they showed the screw plug in the pictures, but it wasn't in the set when it arrived. They are rectifying it though, as they mailed out a plug to me already. It might have been a clearance kind of thing, and the plug wasn't part of the deal at the time. But in the future it is possible that the plug may be a optional kind of thing.
                  Don't shoot it without the plug. They need it, as you already stated, to keep the hot gases out of your face. The BCA uppers all come with the plug screw except for the "stripped" side charging uppers. Which is kind of silly because their side charging uppers don't have forward assists or dust covers. You can buy just the plug screw for $10 from BCA. This makes sense as a spare part in case you loose the original. I'm not sure why they sell a proprietary upper without the proprietary plug screw. I can see it for their rear or "dual" charging uppers since they use standard charging handles, but not in this case. I'm glad that they are sending you one and making it right.

I've used or sold probably over 20 of the BCA side charging uppers and BCGs. Never once have I had a problem with them. All of my personal ones have worked flawlessly and no customer has ever come back with a complaint about them. Good uppers and BCGs, especially for the price.
                  Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• earlwb
                    Bloodstained
                    • Dec 2017

Thanks.
                    In case someone was wondering what we were talking about with the screw plug, here is a picture of it. It is made from aluminum, knurled and anodized black. With a side charging receiver, the slot where a charging handle would go is threaded to use this plug instead. Now with the AR15, it uses the gas pressure directly on the bolt.As the bolt moves to the rear, the gas tube end is exposed. So it is possible that some gasses might get pushed out of the slot where the charging handle used to be. it could be some oil spray from lubricants too. Thus your cheek and eye might get some spray on it from the oil and or gasses. Another good reason to where safety glasses or eye glasses anyway. But the plug simply screws in to the slot at the back of the upper receiver.

6.5 Grendel AR15_06.jpg
                    Last edited by earlwb; 12-30-2017, 12:16 PM. Reason: typo correction

Comment

• Tex Nomex
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2017

Like the build. Need a single photo of the entire thing, though.

I suggest a rifle tube and fixed A2-length stock with that barrel. Not gonna be riding shotgun or 3-gunning with a barrel that long.

Like the side charger, too. The plug is indeed important. It blocks gasses, and serves to hold the BCG in the upper receiver. Very important in event of KB...

As noted, BCA sells replacement parts direct. Plugs, handles, everything.... These parts also compatible with old LAR OPS-4 and OPS-22 uppers.

What's the final rifle weight?
                      "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
                      -- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Comment

• earlwb
                        Bloodstained
                        • Dec 2017

Yeah I agree. I am still deciding on the stock I want to use, so I was just trying out on a regular carbine lower to see how it does and fit. etc. I do want a rifle length buffer tube and stock. Right now most of the stuff is sold out, so it makes it tough to decide. Thus I didn't show a full length picture of it yet. Not sure on the weight yet.
                        Last edited by earlwb; 01-01-2018, 01:57 AM. Reason: typo correction

Comment

• Timmy2Knives
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jun 2017

Do you find that the scope height is too low as currently mounted? You must have a better neck than me ha

Comment

• earlwb
                            Bloodstained
                            • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Timmy2Knives View Post
                            Do you find that the scope height is too low as currently mounted? You must have a better neck than me ha
                            It seems Ok for me when i was testing it out at the time. I used a laser to boresight it. But it didn't seem to be a problem. It might be a problem if I use a cheek riser though. I will know for sure at the gun range later when I go and unlimber it some. But you are correct it is pretty low looking. But the scope is fairly large and makes it sort of look low too. I used medium height scope mount rings on it.

Comment

• bj139
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2017

I had medium height rings on an AR. It was usable but I had to tilt my head sideways and scrunch my cheek down to see the full view.
                              I switched to high rings.

Comment

Working...
                              X