X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • earlwb
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2017

OK, I built up a lower just for this upper. Since it was a rifle length gas tube barrel I used a rifle length A2 buffer tube and stock for it. The rifle weighs in at about 10.25 pounds without the magazine and ammo. The rifle is about 44 inches long as well. I already had all the lower parts and a lower on hand, but I didn't have a A2 stock though. I had them as spares, but what the heck, I might as well use them. I ran across an online store that still had some, so I ordered it. Before Christmas just about everyone was out of stock on a lot of stuff. I did think about the fancy Magpul and Lu'ther stocks but I don't think I really need one for this build. But I will keep it in mind though.

I am going to get a set of high scope rings and see how that feels to me too. But right now it has the medium height scope rings on it. it does seem to feel a little short, but I am not sure yet. I am also thinking about cutting off the sling loop on the rear sling mount and just keep the metal part as a nut for the rear buttpad screw. it sorta looks odd with one sling loop on it.

6.5 Grendel AR15_09.jpg

6.5 Grendel AR15_10.jpg
    Last edited by earlwb; 01-07-2018, 01:06 AM. Reason: typo correction

Comment

• Tex Nomex
      Warrior
      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by earlwb View Post
      OK, I built up a lower just for this upper. Since it was a rifle length gas tube barrel I used a rifle length A2 buffer tube and stock for it. The rifle weighs in at about 10.25 pounds without the magazine and ammo. The rifle is about 44 inches long as well. I already had all the lower parts and a lower on hand, but I didn't have a A2 stock though. I had them as spares, but what the heck, I might as well use them. I ran across an online store that still had some, so I ordered it. Before Christmas just about everyone was out of stock on a lot of stuff. I did think about the fancy Magpul and Lu'ther stocks but I don't think I really need one for this build. But I will keep it in mind though.

I am going to get a set of high scope rings and see how that feels to me too. But right now it has the medium height scope rings on it. it does seem to feel a little short, but I am not sure yet. I am also thinking about cutting off the sling loop on the rear sling mount and just keep the metal part as a nut for the rear buttpad screw. it sorta looks odd with one sling loop on it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10706[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10707[/ATTACH]
      I like the stock choice. It has a true rifle-length barrel, so a rifle stock just "looks right." I guess I'm a bit of a purist that way. I've got long arms, so I like the A2 with long barrels. Shoot it. If the gun feels too front heavy with the A2, you might try the A1.

How much of the weight is the optic? That thing is big.

Also like the Hogue hand guard. If you're creative, you can tape off the front and rear smooth areas and spray a thin coat of Flex Seal on the knurled area. Great for grip and keeps your hand from getting too cold or too hot.
      Last edited by Tex Nomex; 01-07-2018, 03:07 AM. Reason: spelling
      "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
      -- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Comment

• earlwb
        Bloodstained
        • Dec 2017

Interesting idea on the hand guard, to use some flex seal on it. Thanks for the tip.

Yeah the huge scope is an experiment to see how it does. It weighs a little under 1 pound 4 ounces. With 6-24 magnification I maybe don't need to use a spotting scope.

Comment

• earlwb
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2017

Believe it or not, but it actually balances on the barrel nut. I was kind of surprised by that. So it seems to balance just fine for me like that. it does have me wondering where the M16 rifles, we used in the USMC balanced at though. But I do not remember anything about it though.

I was going to order a set of high scope mounts, but I had forgotten about a scope mount I had bought earlier. So I changed the scope mounts out for the taller one. It does seem to feel better. So I will go with it now. It is only the wait to try it out at the range next.

6.5 Grendel AR15_11.jpg

Comment

• Tex Nomex
            Warrior
            • Dec 2017

Looks good. A bit of shooting should help sort out scope ring height. There's a center of gravity mark on the M16 upper receiver that marks the balance point that is said to aid in adding a scope.

m16COG.png

Personally, I always try to move the balance point as far back as possible.
            "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
            -- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Comment

• earlwb
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2017

Thanks. Yeah I forgot about that center mark on the M16's. It was originally for the heavy Starlight night vision scopes. So that the armorer could make sure it balanced out OK. it does but the CG over at about the center of the magazine, so that the rifle's CG doesn't change much as the magazine empties.

Comment

Working...
              X