• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Profit Joseph Sith
    Warrior
    • Nov 2016

pin AND weld? or just pin or weld?

Whats the laws regarding muzzle devices on the 14.5" barrels can i just pin this (myself) or do i also need my buddy to mig weld the pin in? OR can i just weld the shoulder of the MD the shoulder of the barrel so i can cut it off later and reuse the MD?

also wondering if i need to grind to bare metal if i need to weld? The MD will be a VG6 nitrided. I imaging the surface treatment will contaminate the weld?

TIA!
    Last edited by The Profit Joseph Sith; 12-29-2017, 06:04 PM.
  • AZHTfreak
    Warrior
    • Jan 2017

When I built my 14.5, researched it pretty thoroughly. Pin AND weld is one of 2 or 3 ATF required methods. I dremeled an old drill bit for the pin and had a buddy MIG weld it. He counter sunk the pin hole with a 3/16" so the weld had clean metal to combine with... Of course ATF would have to destroy the muzzle device/barrel to confirm it's done right :-|
    Last edited by AZHTfreak; 12-29-2017, 08:42 PM.
    DOJ+FBI+IRS+AFT=NKVD. Joe Stalin and Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria are tap dancing in hell right now...

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
      Warrior
      • Nov 2016

Yeah good point. I was wondering because i have two PSL's ones imported with the MD welded directly to the barrel (no pin) and lug neutered. The other was imported de milled as a kit and absolutely everything is virgin. Its interesting that the requirements are different for importing. Thanks AZ.

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
        Warrior
        • Aug 2015

I was wondering this too. I'd really like a grendel upper that's somewhat maneuverable with my Specwar762 (the thing is a beast) so I was thinking either 14.5" pinned/welded or the Faxon 12" on my pistol lower. I move too often and cross state lines too often with my rifles to bother with the SBR tag otherwise I'd just pay out the 200 bucks. I just don't feel right about putting a 2-10x standard eye relief scope on a "pistol" ... seems pretty obvious what I'm doing with that one there. Owning the brace already kind of weirds me out.

Comment

• Lastrites
          Warrior
          • Apr 2017

The two methods that I recall is high temp silver soldered, and the other is pin & weld. The P&W is a as mentioned above, drilling hole in the muzzle device and into the barrel and then welding that spot over the top of pin. I don't believe they will accept just a weld on the edge of the MD attaching to the barrel.

Comment

Working...
          X