• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gmaxx
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2017

CFE load for 105gr MKZ

Does anyone have a good start point for the 105gr MKZ with CFE223? Or is there a reason to not use this powder under this bullet? I have 8208 as well, but wanted to try the CFE.
  • sneaky one
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I tried 32.2 cfe with some GMX -105's. Then I sent some of them to ricsmall to try on whitetails. He used the same charge, -we never got around to changing that load.

The primer was just fine- start at 31.6, then see where it takes you. Jump by .2 at a time. Watch the chrono numbers.

BTW, he dropped deer at 327 yds. with that 32.2 load.
    Last edited by sneaky one; 12-30-2017, 05:30 PM.

Comment

• gmaxx
      Bloodstained
      • Feb 2017

Thanks for the info sneaky. I appreciate it. I'll be giving that a try as soon as the bullets arrive.

Comment

• CavityBackBullets
        Bloodstained
        • Nov 2016

Sneaky is correct, I would start at 31.5 grains of CFE.

Comment

• gmaxx
          Bloodstained
          • Feb 2017

Test Data for CFE223 with 105gr MKZ

Got to test some loads today. Distance was only about 60yds, that's as far as I can shoot in my backyard. Groups were decent but I was just shooting prone with a bipod, so they could probably be better with a better shooting position.

From the results it looks like 32.3 is about the max load, with the drop in velocity at the next load? 32.5 was the highest load I loaded.
          Attached Files

Comment

• sneaky one
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Yes, I would explore the 30.0-32.2 loads. What amount of jump to lands are you using? When I started my Gmx trials in 2009, I had a reading of Coal+ 2.355 to touching lands.-- Coal === combined over all length. Loaded bullet into a case.

So I took a guess, by what I had read on many sites on LFP jump distances. Barnes had the best ideas. So I loaded the Gmx @ 2.31, leaving a 45k jump. Perfect. I could hit sweetheart candy discs @ 100 yds. all day long. That's all I need to drop deer to 300yds.

So I tweaked a magazine to run stock pills at and up to a Coal of 2.33. I could hone the tip a bit to reduce the jump by loading longer, meh- I left them alone.

Let us know what you find on all of this. Stay safe, measure 10 times, trust the scale- test the scale.

BFT just informed me that we have some bullets from Maker to try out. Never a dull moment here...

Once you are on a stable shoot setup, see what you have . Can always change seating depths , in tiny elvis amounts. Don't get closer than 8k to contact tho. All copper doesn't yield as easily as cup and core units once contact is made..

I have not blown a primer, or anything since 2009. Slow and persistent will always get you excellent groups.
            Last edited by sneaky one; 01-13-2018, 09:13 PM.

Comment

• gmaxx
              Bloodstained
              • Feb 2017

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
              Yes, I would explore the 30.0-32.2 loads. What amount of jump to lands are you using? When I started my Gmx trials in 2009, I had a reading of Coal+ 2.355 to touching lands.-- Coal === combined over all length. Loaded bullet into a case.

So I took a guess, by what I had read on many sites on LFP jump distances. Barnes had the best ideas. So I loaded the Gmx @ 2.31, leaving a 45k jump. Perfect. I could hit sweetheart candy discs @ 100 yds. all day long. That's all I need to drop deer to 300yds.

So I tweaked a magazine to run stock pills at and up to a Coal of 2.33. I could hone the tip a bit to reduce the jump by loading longer, meh- I left them alone.

Let us know what you find on all of this. Stay safe, measure 10 times, trust the scale- test the scale.

BFT just informed me that we have some bullets from Maker to try out. Never a dull moment here...

Once you are on a stable shoot setup, see what you have . Can always change seating depths , in tiny elvis amounts. Don't get closer than 8k to contact tho. All copper doesn't yield as easily as cup and core units once contact is made..

I have not blown a primer, or anything since 2009. Slow and persistent will always get you excellent groups.
              I was right around 15k to the lands. Seating depth consistency has been a little difficult. I'm using Lee dies, should probably invest in a better set. I'm going to seat a little deeper to around a 40k jump. I read up on Barnes, they seem to recommend a 50k jump for their bullets. Have you seen better results with less jump than that in your testing of other solid coppers?

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

No, Stay in the 25-50 k zone at first. Each bbl is different. I got lucky on my first swing at bat ., @ 45k. ROS uses a diff depth with his shorter chamber depth...

Get a Forster micrometer seater die. 1 small click at a time to dial it in .

Yes , I can be a brat- I welded up a 3' tripod portable load station - to mount my cheapo lee press onto, with the Forster seating die inside.,,, truck along the rest of items- pre primed brass, powder, calipers, scale ,,etc. to load on site. I should post a pic, I also made up a receiver -ball hitch mounted unit., for same press. Outdoor use only for me. Mostly-

At my beloved gravel pit in northern , MN.

I'll do some pics tomorrow.

Comment

• gmaxx
                  Bloodstained
                  • Feb 2017

Hahaha, that sounds like a pretty interesting set up. Curious to see it. I loaded to a 40k jump 32.2gr CFE and shot 3, 3 shot groups. They were all right at .5in (avg of .49in.
                  I think that's probably as much as I can do til I get to a longer distance range.

I am seeing the temp sensitivity of CFE223, 2682fps @ 53 degrees , 2669 @ 49 degrees, and 2625 @ 32 degrees.

Comment

• sneaky one
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Last edited by sneaky one; 01-16-2018, 01:57 AM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

Depending on the configuration of a solid bullet and its bearing surface, you might have to start much lower.

My loads under a 120gr TSX are totally different than under a 120gr cup and core bullet using CFE223, usually a grain less in charge weight.
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• sneaky one
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Yes, the lfp's are somewhat longer than cup n core. Always plan on going through an extra 1/2 - 1 full box of bullets finding a sweet spot for the lfp.

Start low, I will share some 3-4 grain below max data , if anyone wants to pm me a question. Idle up after that....

More practice, right? That's a good thing.

After loading them for 9 years now- I feel confident that I will dial in a load within 15 trys. Even the modified ones that I dreamt up. It's not too difficult. I kept a many good notes.
                        Last edited by sneaky one; 01-16-2018, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X