6.5 Grendel TC Contender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For optics, there are limited choices. I currently have a 2.5-8x leupold on the Contender, but I don't need that much magnification, and I'll consider going to just a straight 2x. The Leupolds fit my long arms better than the Burris, which requires me to draw the gun in closer for a higher magnification. The 6.5 100gr TTSX at 2600 performs very similar at handgun ranges to the 6.8 110 gr TTSX at 2500fps. I shot more with the 6.5 this year. Very mild recoil, don't notice it. Extremely accurate. Longest shot this year on game was the Texas Dall sheep at 127 yards, flipped right up onto his back with a heart shot. All the TTSX expanded from the appearance of the bullet tracks, but I unfortunately didn't recover any of my bullets ( which I always try to do. I've got a nice collection of game bullets up to 500 grain that show me what happens.) I did recover a blue plastic tip from the entrance hide last year, right on the surface. I currently only have the 6.8 spcII and the 6.5 Grendel in the G2 contender, but I'm having an Encore Handgun barrel made for next year in 6.5 Creedmoor. I love the Grendel, which may be my favorite overall, but next year I want Mouflon and that will require a little faster somewhat heavier bullet, maybe 120gr TTSX, for a quick 250 yard handgun shot (yes, a very good but fast rest, I'm not that steady at all otherwise).
    The hunt was much harder than it appears, with very fast acquisition and shots required or there were no chances at all.
    Last year was a Scimitar Horned Oryx, which will be illegal to hunt after December of this year, at 140 yards.
    I'm no expert, I just like to have fun.
    Thanks for the Kudos everyone

Comment

I would live to have a G2 in 6.5 Grendel with a carbine barrel.

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by fanofflyn View Post
        For optics, there are limited choices. I currently have a 2.5-8x leupold on the Contender, but I don't need that much magnification, and I'll consider going to just a straight 2x. The Leupolds fit my long arms better than the Burris, which requires me to draw the gun in closer for a higher magnification. The 6.5 100gr TTSX at 2600 performs very similar at handgun ranges to the 6.8 110 gr TTSX at 2500fps. I shot more with the 6.5 this year. Very mild recoil, don't notice it. Extremely accurate. Longest shot this year on game was the Texas Dall sheep at 127 yards, flipped right up onto his back with a heart shot. All the TTSX expanded from the appearance of the bullet tracks, but I unfortunately didn't recover any of my bullets ( which I always try to do. I've got a nice collection of game bullets up to 500 grain that show me what happens.) I did recover a blue plastic tip from the entrance hide last year, right on the surface. I currently only have the 6.8 spcII and the 6.5 Grendel in the G2 contender, but I'm having an Encore Handgun barrel made for next year in 6.5 Creedmoor. I love the Grendel, which may be my favorite overall, but next year I want Mouflon and that will require a little faster somewhat heavier bullet, maybe 120gr TTSX, for a quick 250 yard handgun shot (yes, a very good but fast rest, I'm not that steady at all otherwise).
        The hunt was much harder than it appears, with very fast acquisition and shots required or there were no chances at all.
        Last year was a Scimitar Horned Oryx, which will be illegal to hunt after December of this year, at 140 yards.
        I'm no expert, I just like to have fun.
        Thanks for the Kudos everyone
        Great trophies, and I'd like to hear a start to finish hunt story, and how it came about. Guides, outfitter, etc. too.

Comment

• PumpActionJackson

too cool! im jealous. nice bit of meat there.

Comment

Very nice pictures !!!!!

Comment

Where were you hunting?

Comment

YO Ranch. I know ranch hunting sounds a bit cheezy, but with 47 thousand acres, it can be a pretty difficult hunt. We were really lucky to get an Aoudad, and the others weren't easy. It was a handgun charity hunt for the North American Handgun Hunters chapter of SCI. All the meat donated from everyone, and all the funds were for charity. We even sponsored a wounded warrior 100 percent for his hunt, and that was very gratifying. Most hunted Sika and Whitetail, but there were lots of species taken. I had the only Grendel in the bunch, but I think I made a lot of converts. "You got an Aoudad with that little baby cartridge?" was heard more than once.

BTW, I didn't mean to hijak the thread, so we could fix that if it is a problem.

Comment

• txgunner00
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by kcgrendel View Post
                  I would live to have a G2 in 6.5 Grendel with a carbine barrel.
                  Where would you find such a thing? Gunsmith or is there one available?
                  NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
                    Where would you find such a thing? Gunsmith or is there one available?
                    Here ya go,

Comment

As I recall (on the old forem Bill Alaxander posted) that there was a little saftey concern about using a Contender in 6.5 Grendel. Somthing about bolt pressure being higher then he felt safe. You could call him and ask.

Comment

When I asked them to make a Creedmoor in a Contender, they wouldn't do it, but recommended an Encore barrel, which is currently being made for me now. I can tell you the Grendel is pretty mild in the Contender, but if you're worried about it, get it made in an Encore.

Comment

here is a pic of my TC Grendel from MGM, they did an awesome job on it.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Nice TC akula! Is that a diamond, hex or octagonal barrel from MGM?

I've got an octagonal barreled 475 JDJ from SSK - other than that, just standard contours.

Comment

Nice job on the critters . Those SSK Contender barrels can shoot! Pretty sure my 14", 6.5 JDJ was a Shilen blank. It launched 120 B-Tips at around 2500 FPS... downed a couple of mule deer with it.

Comment

Originally posted by fanofflyn View Post
                                OK, I struggled with this. See if they show up.
                                Wow ! Beautiful animals. Where were you? My guess is game ranch here in Texas somewhere?

Comment

Working...
                                X