6.5 Grendel TC Contender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnOD View Post
    Nice job on the critters . Those SSK Contender barrels can shoot! Pretty sure my 14", 6.5 JDJ was a Shilen blank. It launched 120 B-Tips at around 2500 FPS... downed a couple of mule deer with it.
    How does the Grendel case capacity compare with the 6.5 JDJ?

Comment

I got out of the Contenders so long ago I honestly don't remember what loads I was shooting. If you like I can dig through my records and find out. The parent case is 225 Win which has a rather large rim.

When I first started looking at the 6.5/6.8 AR's my positive experience with the 6.5 JDJ swayed me to the Grendel.

Comment

Originally posted by Whelenon View Post
        How does the Grendel case capacity compare with the 6.5 JDJ?
        The 6.5 JDJ has waaaay more case capacity than the Grendel. It's a 1.90" long case with a .473" rim diameter. It looks like a rimmed case too. Not sure what the parent is, but it looks very similar to .30-30 Win.

Comment

The 6.5 JDJ has a case capacity of 43.6 gr of water. The Grendel has a capacity of 36 gr. of water. The Grendel in rifles is designed to hold up to 50,000 CPU, but the Contender supposedly is limited to 42,000, but I can't say that authoritatively. It would seem to be possible to use a lower pressure such as the JDJ, but I've not personally had a problem with my current loads in the Contender with my Grendel. I will limit myself to 100 gr bullets though with that in mind.

Comment

The Grendel is actually a high pressure case, but you do have to balance that with the action you're using it in. My buddy with a CZ527 is getting insane velocities (2700fps) with 139gr Scenars, with a 22" barrel and N140, so the case will take the pressure. Not sure I would want to go anywhere near that in a Contender either, since I don't know the limitations of the TC. I just saw a video of guys with Contenders and XP100's ringing steel at 1000yds with .260 Remington. This is a great video of what even a pistol is capable of...

Comment

Originally posted by fanofflyn View Post
              OK, I struggled with this. See if they show up.

Wow great work...Aaahhh, the power & accuracy of the 6.5mm caliber !

Comment

• adrenaline junkie

Since there isnt a case size limitation, I think I'd rather have an encore in a 260 than the grendel. I have one in 7mm08 and its awesome, I bought it before the 260 came out or I would have gotten that.

Comment

[QUOTE=LRRPF52;22299]I just saw a video of guys with Contenders and XP100's ringing steel at 1000yds with .260 Remington.QUOTE]

Just a point of clarification, they were shooting the .260 with and Encore not the Contender. Big difference between an Encore and Contender and how much pressure they can take. A Contender could never take the pressures of a .260.

Comment

Id love a grendel barrel for my contender

Comment

Shop for EABCO accuracy barrels by master craftsman at E. Arthur Brown Company, for top models like AR-15, Savage, Ruger, and more.

Comment

• hhi812
                        Unwashed
                        • Oct 2016

Originally posted by fanofflyn View Post
                        I also have one of those barrels, and, being a Barnes affectionado I looked for a load that would work in my 16, 18, 20, and 24 inch rifles as well. The 120 grainers didn't work well in the handgun, couldn't get much over 2100 or 2200 fps. I decided to work with the 100gr TTSX. There wasn't enough velocity with 2520 or with leverevolution (which worked well with the heavier bullets in the longer barrels), so I had to go with a faster powder. Currently I worked up a load that worked well with H335, using 31 grains. This looked a little flatter on the headstamp (I mean a trace) with the gas piston rifles, so I backed it up a couple of tenths of grains to 30.8 with new Lapua brass. It shot very accurately in all the guns. The T/C shot nice groups (the best I can do with a handgun anyway) and chronographed at 2600fps, with a very small sd out of the 14 inch handgun, and with the shorter barrel pressure wasn't an issue at all. I cannot tell you what this may do in your gun. I use the old style white box WSR primers ( the silver harder kind, at least until I run out of the next ten thousand), so a different primer could drive up your pressures. I'd start a couple of grains lower and slowly increase to a comfortable level. I load to 2.260 coal so that it will work in the magazines, but did not use the chamber seating coal gauge for the SSK barrel. Barnes says to back off .050 from the lands anyway, and the Weatherby people tell us this gives us more velocity with less pressure. In the Barnes bullets, it improves accuracy also, as I've shot tons of guilding metal from Barnes in calibers up to .500 Jeffery. I'm doing a charity handgun hunt with the Handgun Hunters chapter of SCI next week, and I'll shoot some big things to see how well it does. Last year I shot a scimitar horned oryx with a 110gr Barnes TTSX 6.8 spc II from a 14 inch barrel at 140 yards, and it went through the shoulder, both sides of the rib cage, and heart, and was imbedded in the off side. They didn't save the bullet for me like they promised, but that was a slightly slower load, so I bet the penetration will be good with the Grendel for most NA game at pistol ranges.

BTW, this round does function in all my Grendel rifles too.
                        fanofflyn,
                        How did you set the overall length of the 100 TTSX in your Contender? Barnes suggests .050" off rifling? I also just aquired a SSK 6.5 Grendel Contender barrel. H335 is the best powder for this Bullet?

Comment

• rabiddawg
                          Chieftain
                          • Feb 2013

You have bumped a thread from '13 that originated in '11. I have not seen fanofflyn post recently so I wouldn't expect a reply.

For some reason you can't search his activity as he is shown as a guest. Could have something to do with board crashes in the past.
                          Last edited by rabiddawg; 10-09-2016, 01:04 AM.
                          Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• hhi812
                            Unwashed
                            • Oct 2016

New here and didn't realize how old it was. Thanks for the update.

Comment

• JASmith
                              Chieftain
                              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by hhi812 View Post
                              ...How did you set the overall length of the 100 TTSX in your Contender? Barnes suggests .050" off rifling? I also just aquired a SSK 6.5 Grendel Contender barrel. H335 is the best powder for this Bullet?
                              Do you mean "How far off of the lands should the bullet be seated?" or did you mean, "How did you determine the optimal overall length?"
                              shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                              -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• hhi812
                                Unwashed
                                • Oct 2016

Both?

Comment

Working...
                                X