• Show
Clear All
  • pase' doble
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2016

baffled on optics

optic selection....

rifle: 18" bbl AR platform
    use: hunting in Maine but I plan to hunt other states/game during retirement
    why I ask: I've owned 1 scope in my life. My first yr of hunting, over 40 yrs ago. Lost some nice deer because I couldn't fix on a moving deer in time. Used only iron sights or red dot/magnifier since. It just seems like this is a special caliber that can be great up close but wants to stretch it's legs occasionally.

Story: I've been building std caliber AR's for a bit, got the bug to build diff calibers and here I am. The rifle is for whitetail hunting, more stalking than blinds(70/30). I live in Maine so the hunting can sometimes be described as who's surprising who, I shot a whitetail a 4' once.... from the hip after he crashed into the thicket I was standing in... from directly behind me while I was holding my rifle on my boot fumbling for a light. Time from CRASH to BOOM? About the time it took my smoke to hit the ground.
    My longest shot was just under 200yds, front too me.
    Terrain: Everything from 'can't see shit' to 'Are you kidding? I can't see that far'
    Timing: Most of my kills are early AM or late day low light.
    Me: A bit broken down. My emergency pack is a lot lighter than it used to be and I still can't hit a college fastball.
    Future: Maybe stretch it out a bit, I've never had a chance or spot to shoot 300/400yds... someday I guess.
    Anyway, the more info the better I heard once. I don't imagine my eyes are getting any better and shooting buried in a scope isn't my thing. Thoughts and suggestions appreciated. Oh, I'm not too upset spending money. Best is better than good, anything less than good is still in the store. Thanks
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

Budget friendly vortex strike eagle 1-8x24

Little more money: nightforce nx8 coming out next month or Leupold vx6 hd multigun

Expensive swarovski, kahles, or s&b

6x and 8x can shoot your 300-400 easy and they are lighter weight.

Comment

• AppalachianGunSlinger
      Bloodstained
      • Nov 2017

Truthfully one of the best values going right no s the Primary Arms 1-8 it s the litterly the same optic as the Leupold Mk8 1-8 with some minor changes and a superior reticle. I choose it myself over the Leupold. Though I really liked the luepold build how the it had Better knurling overall. The difference was that there was none between the two as far as performance except the pa got the led with a better reticle. Well the price was a factor too at just over $1200.

Other than this also look at the Trijicon 1-8. Though you can also go with a non FFP scope and stick with a 1-6 at the ranges you are thinking of shooting. Therefor saving lots of money. Between $300 and $400 look at the Vortex Strike Eagle and the Primary Arms SFP 1-6 and 1-8. Supposedly PA is coming out with a new 1-8 that is FFP and should be similar price points to current offerings. Say around sub $500. Otherwise go used look to riverofguns.com to find a used optic. Know what you are looking t though and avoid ebay cause of counterfeits. For new cans check with gun.deals.com. For the PA either direct or have found that Optics Planet has gift Card sales with the PA Optics that will pay for a good mount. For Vortex I do direct cause of being retired mil and getting discount, same with Leupold. For Vortex though some good deals on Optics planet and gun.deals can be found over 30% off. Manventureoutpost has some great deals too on Leupold and especially Trijicon. Heck beats my .mil when you talk about tax and shipping. Good luck.

Comment

• Randy99CL
        Warrior
        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by AppalachianGunSlinger View Post
        For Vortex I do direct cause of being retired mil and getting discount, same with Leupold. For Vortex though some good deals on Optics planet and gun.deals can be found over 30% off. Manventureoutpost has some great deals too on Leupold and especially Trijicon. Heck beats my .mil when you talk about tax and shipping. Good luck.
        I'd heard that Vortex has a Vet discount but glad to see Leupold does too. Could you give some details? Do you have to sign up with them and is it worth it?
        Thanks
        Randy
        "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• Lastrites
          Warrior
          • Apr 2017

Pase, your description of Maine mirrors my brother in-laws as in thick cover is the norm. May want to consider a small red Dot for fast shooting in cover that has a good quick detachable mount like LaRue or ADM which don't lose zero when removed and be able to shoot easily to 200 yds with it and barely adds any weight to your stalking package. Then consider buying a nice scope with a good QD mount for the days you may be able to stretch out it's legs when longer shots provide themselves or you want to do longer range target shooting and don't discount the light gathering ability of a magnified optic for low light viewing.

Your rifle is able to cover a wide range of target opportunities, set it up for what works best for your circumstances at the time. For close, unexpected potential quick shots nothing tops the speed of a small red dot.

Comment

• PVBoom
            Warrior
            • Oct 2017

If you are early morning/late evening then you need to concentrate on lowlight performance.
            That means a large objective for more light collection. That eliminates anything like a Strike Eagle. You want low light performance over tactical.

I would want at least a 50mm objective, a low minimum magnication for a better FOV and an illuminated reticle.

I would be looking at a Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-10x56 with green triangle post reticle, which is about 850. Its also almost 21 ounces.
            With a larger budget I would look at Meopta, Swarovski and Leica.
            Last edited by PVBoom; 12-31-2017, 03:18 PM.

Comment

• howl
              Warrior
              • Nov 2015

The traditional answer is a 1.5-6x40 with a German #4 reticle. 2-7x was always real popular, too.

You want at least 40' field of view at 100 yards to account for the short range targets. You can still see a whole deer at 10 yards. Leupold VXR 2-7x FireDot is a good one. The VX3 1.75-6x with a heavy reticle is good, too. If you're real serious about the end of the barrel thing a Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8x would be hard to beat.

Basically, look for 1.5x or 2x on the low end and at least 6x top end. A heavy reticle is as good as illuminated.

Comment

• PVBoom
                Warrior
                • Oct 2017

Here is a discussion on low light optics
                Looking for a good low light deer hunting scope. I tend to do way too much research before I actually...

Comment

Working...
                X