• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AppalachianGunSlinger
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2017

123GR SST Hunting Zero

Was going through my hold overs for this load Incase I wanted to dial it it besides looking at the BDL on the PA 1-6 with ACSS I wil be using until I can get a dedicated scope for this new build. Point is this will be a hunting rig and usual zeros are 200yards for a hunting setup. But doing a 50yard Zero will put my bullet within a 10” to 275 if my calculations are correct. Want input for those who have used in the field. Would like to get boresited tomorrow and verified as well. I have a White Tail hunt coming up in Alabama the firstborn Weekend of January and an exotic animal in Ocochobee the third weekend. Was supposed to be Axis Deer yet seems like the cold front has the heaped loosing it antlers and since this is a Disabled Vet sponsored hunt he doesn’t want us to make a mistake and take a doe messing up his genetics. Understandable indeed. Yet there was some hinting that he would make it another exotic and possible a hog as well. First time I have been out hunting with this rig let alone caliber and not since I took an Elk back in 2012 in Carbondale CO while in the wounded warrior battalion at Ft Carson.

My charts:

50 Yard Zero

[url=https://flic.kr/p/EU1Nnm]

200 Yard Zero

[url=https://flic.kr/p/21X7enE]

Thanks

Photos look much better still takes too long to do this yarghh. Want simple.
    Last edited by AppalachianGunSlinger; 12-31-2017, 07:54 PM. Reason: Photo fix
  • Randy99CL
    Warrior
    • Oct 2017

I may be an idiot for wondering the obvious but have you asked the guides/organizers at these hunts what ranges you'll be shooting?

I think your 200yd zero looks good and flat to be +/- 2" from muzzle to 225 yards. Is it likely you'll be stretching out past that?
    "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• JASmith
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2014

Looks like both images are for 200 yard zero.
      shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
      -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• AppalachianGunSlinger
        Bloodstained
        • Nov 2017

Oops fixed

Comment

• AppalachianGunSlinger
          Bloodstained
          • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Randy99CL View Post
          I may be an idiot for wondering the obvious but have you asked the guides/organizers at these hunts what ranges you'll be shooting?

I think your 200yd zero looks good and flat to be +/- 2" from muzzle to 225 yards. Is it likely you'll be stretching out past that?

Not an idiot. Didn’t have the right pictures up. Take a look at the ballistics. 50yard Zero seems to be much better out to near 300yards.
          Last edited by AppalachianGunSlinger; 12-31-2017, 08:04 PM.

Comment

• Clarence
            Bloodstained
            • Dec 2015

App,

Not sure of your definition of "better". 200 yd zero keeps you within 2 moa of the crosshair out to 275 yes, while 50 yd zero is 2 moa low at 225 yd.

One thing you might review is your sight height above bore. The scope center on my AR's, and most of those I've seen, are generally 2.5-2.75" above bore line.

Clarence

Comment

• 6.8 klr
              Bloodstained
              • Oct 2014

Yep, sight height on your chart is listed as 1.5". Use 2.5" for an AR and your numbers will be different.

Comment

• Texas
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2016

that the vast majority of my shots will take place at 300 yards or closer. My Grendel is zeroed for 225 yards making any shot I would take a maximum hold off of 4 inches. Any shot longer thank 300 yards will be ranged and adjustments made accordingly. It is a much slower shot where inside the 300 a hit on a moving target is much easier.

Comment

• bldsmith
                  Bloodstained
                  • Apr 2017

A 200 yd zero gives you a 300yd Point Blank Range. I try for the +- 3". Would be the kill zone on any big game animal.
                  A. C. Richards OTAC USN RET

ABS Journeyman Smith

http://acrichardscustomknives.com/

Comment

• AppalachianGunSlinger
                    Bloodstained
                    • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Clarence View Post
                    App,

Not sure of your definition of "better". 200 yd zero keeps you within 2 moa of the crosshair out to 275 yes, while 50 yd zero is 2 moa low at 225 yd.

One thing you might review is your sight height above bore. The scope center on my AR's, and most of those I've seen, are generally 2.5-2.75" above bore line.

Clarence
                    Yes yet where 99% of the shots will happen there is a lot flatter trajectory to my target. Especially being on the east coats now everything is going to be under 400most likely under 100 yards especially in the woods. I did just Bore site it at 200 to try out and will decide after some use.

Comment

• AppalachianGunSlinger
                      Bloodstained
                      • Nov 2017

Dunno how that changed musta been a default I had 2.5 in there depending on mine it is either 2.5 -2.6. Thanks I’ll have to fix it all again and verify it stays that way.

Comment

• AppalachianGunSlinger
                        Bloodstained
                        • Nov 2017

I did do a 200 boresiteand confirmed on Steel at 100yards.Ill try it this season and see if ai wantto change it. Most of my shots will most likely be in heavily wooded areas under 100yards everything will be under 400yards. Hence my main concerns here.. time will tell out in the field.

Comment

• zcostilla
                          Warrior
                          • Aug 2017

Originally posted by bldsmith View Post
                          A 200 yd zero gives you a 300yd Point Blank Range. I try for the +- 3". Would be the kill zone on any big game animal.
                          There are two reasons I’d personally stick with the 200 yard zero. The first is the point blank range would be longer. A 50 yard zero doesn’t give your bullet much time above core, and requires adding holdover sooner. Even if short distances are more likely, why not be ready take advantage of the cartidge’s capabilities, since no adjustments would be needed inside the PBR. Second, if your normal target shooting is done with a 200 yard zero, and you’re already comfortable with it, why force your brain to recalculate? Seems to me that it is easier to maintain/increase proficiency if you keep the same setup. It wouldn’t mean much when just shooting paper, because you can take as much time as you need. But in a hunting situation, where you may only get a few moments to get ansight picture and take the shot, every second counts. And it’s there that the familiarity will pay dividends, because you’ll have more confidence in your shot, and therefore, less hesitation.

either way, best wishes hunting. Hope you bag a big’un.
                          -Zac

Husband, Father, Veteran. Grateful for my redemption.

Comment

• AppalachianGunSlinger
                            Bloodstained
                            • Nov 2017

Good to have all the feedback especially with my TBI. I did do the 200Yard Zero and will see if that is copacetic for me. But I’ll be damne if the Outfiter dint change up the parameters of the sponsored hunt at the last minute and it looks like only this weekend will be a go. Sucks but was toldI could get in on a Bear Hunt. Hmm interesting to see what the 65 will do on a black bear!

Comment

• doofus65
                              Bloodstained
                              • May 2017

Just to sanity check:
                              Is your bullet speed solid? Looking at Hornady claims on midwayusa.com, they think the 123gr SST should push 2580 out of a 24" barrel.

Comment

Working...
                              X