X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • v1911
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2018

Wow! That was incredible to watch. You’re certainly a craftsman at what you do.

Comment

• sierracharlie338
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2018

Great video bud!

Comment

• Heorot
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2014

Absolutely incredible! Love your videos!!

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2013

Thanks!
          Kill a hog. Save the planet.
          My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
            Warrior
            • Dec 2017

Very cool thread. Not much auto-loader action in our part of the world, very few make it to non-restricted status to be hunt legal and we don't get to night hunt either. Neat to see. I'd be curious if you can think back on whether or not the auto-loader made a direct difference to the amount of dogs you killed? Didn't see any multiples that required hustle in the vid? Or would you have been basically identical with a bolt rig too?

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2013

Stinky, the above video was basically just the highlights. Thinking back, there were maybe 3 or 4 times where having an autoloader made a difference and usually it was when I screwed up the first shot (either with a miss or fail to immediately kill).

For example, hit this coyote and he took off running. Dropped it on the 3rd shot. Mind you, he may have been fatally wounded with the first shot, but I might not have recovered him if he made it to the thick brush.

At 1:50 in this video, I grazed a stationary coyote and picked her up on the run. I don't believe I could have picked her up without an autoloader...

The others were coyotes I shot and started to spin and I put them down quickly.

I am primarily a hog hunter. Having an autoloader is a big benefit for getting on large groups of hogs.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                Warrior
                • Dec 2017

Right on man, i imported a mini-14 6.8spc from asi and gave that a try for a little while but never did like that first shot different poi than the rest so gave up on it. Shot a few coyotes with it and a whitetail doe but maybe not long enough of a test to compare. I've found no matter how fast i cycle a bolt once the shooting starts you're a gifted shot on runners or not and very few of us are. One friend of mine is incredible but sadly when the shooting starts i feel like 95% of the time or higher the faster the shots just speeds up how fast i empty the gun. My bolt buddy definitely chooses his shots a bit more deliberately and have no doubt he'd kill more than me on runners with his bolt than me with an auto-loader so i've often wondered the benefit to the auto-loader for hunting? The math seems to be there for smaller targets coming in as multiples and being quick but i've done some handy work on doubles with bolt action .17 hmr's, have more doubles with that(i think 3 doubles with that now) than the .17 hmr rem 97 auto-loader i ran for a bit (one double). I suppose HD is something we don't think about a lot in canada, so that would be a factor then the plain old fun factor of an auto-loader too. I can definitely see with the hogs it could be a benefit, and large cap mags! Most i've had for coyotes run at me is 5, killed the lead male at 100 and emptied my gun at the runners as per more often than not. Overall i think i've reminded myself i'm more limited by my shooting skills on runners vs the speed a load is chambered. Still good to hear others insight. Would like to see more bolt action love with the Grendel though, i'm sure it's coming, what a great cartridge!

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2013

Moving targets are hard to hit. I have some awful days once in a while. Nobody likes to admit it, but when your buddies consider your shots to be "herding shots" and not "kill shots," you know you are having a bad day.

You can actually play with the math to get some realistic ideas of just how much lead you need on a running animal. The purpose of such calculations isn't to determine exactly what you will have in the field, but to give you some ballpark ideas. I know it used to bother me to watch the videos of guying leading their targets because they weren't aiming at the target they were trying to kill. My mind would simply not connect with that notion. I understood it, but refused to make it happen in the field...until I got some experience.

For giggles and grins, let's say you have a coyote that has come into your caller at 70 yards, realizes it is fake and turns tail and trots away at 7 mph parallel to the caller, slowly opening up the distance. You don't know he is moving 7 mph, but you are guessing because he isn't into a full lope and he certainly isn't walking or running. You are shooting Hornady 123 gr. SST ammo and getting exactly 2500 fps at the muzzle. By the time you get off your first shot, the yote is 75 yards away and moving pretty much perpendicular to your shot, maybe a little quartered away.

At 7 mph, the coyote is moving 10.27 fps. Bullet flight time is 0.9 seconds. FPS times bullet flight time equals how far the coyote will travel while your bullet is in the air.

0.09x10.27=.92 feet or just over 11 inches. So if you want a shoulder hit, you are probably going to need to aim just a little bit in front of his nose.

Well, just as you were about to shoot, your partner lets loose on the yote, yanking the trigger in his excitement (he does that, sometimes), and though he was aiming at the shoulder, his trigger jerk and lack of lead on the shot causes the dirt to explode under the coyote's high feet and the coyote quick sprints 10 yards away from you (direction change) and slows to a 20 mph lope. The coyote was startled, but hasn't been hunted before and isn't running away in terror, but he isn't sticking around either. You try barking at him to get him to stop but he isn't having any of it. Now you have a coyote quartered away and lope. By the time you reacquire the target, the coyote is 130 yards away. Because he is quartered away, you don't want to put a shot into his shoulder, but down by the last ribs so that the bullet will cross through the boilerroom. If you tried for a shoulder shot, it might just take out the shoulder and exit the low front of the neck without hitting anything vital.

At 130 yards, your bullet flight time is now 0.17 seconds and your 20 mph coyote is moving at a whopping 29.3 fps. That means for you to hit those last ribs for this shot, you are going to need to aim right at 5 feet ahead of where you want the impact. He isn't a giant yote and so the place you are trying to hit is roughly 2 feet back from the nose, so you now need to aim 3 feet ahead of the coyote's nose. You pull the trigger and the comes to a rolling crash.

See, it is just that easy.

Well, maybe not. The important lesson to learn is that putting the crosshair on the moving animal at distance is a sure way to have the shot hit well behind where you expect and quite likely miss. I still do it sometimes. Instinctually, that is what we want to do, but that isn't what we need to do.

Then there is the problem of elevation change in the target. Animals often don't run in a level manner like a car going down the road. They tend to change elevation as they run and this can further complicate matters. I tend to look for and elevation that is about average for the animal, thereby giving me the best opportunity for a hit.

Hitting animals on the run isn't an exact science so much as it is an art. You can reduce it down to numbers, but in the field, you aren't running a calculator any more than you if you were a quarterback trying to throw a ball to a receiver down field. The big difference there, of course, is that the receiver is trying to catch the ball.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
                    Right on man, i imported a mini-14 6.8spc from asi and gave that a try for a little while but never did like that first shot different poi than the rest so gave up on it. Shot a few coyotes with it and a whitetail doe but maybe not long enough of a test to compare. I've found no matter how fast i cycle a bolt once the shooting starts you're a gifted shot on runners or not and very few of us are. One friend of mine is incredible but sadly when the shooting starts i feel like 95% of the time or higher the faster the shots just speeds up how fast i empty the gun. My bolt buddy definitely chooses his shots a bit more deliberately and have no doubt he'd kill more than me on runners with his bolt than me with an auto-loader so i've often wondered the benefit to the auto-loader for hunting? The math seems to be there for smaller targets coming in as multiples and being quick but i've done some handy work on doubles with bolt action .17 hmr's, have more doubles with that(i think 3 doubles with that now) than the .17 hmr rem 97 auto-loader i ran for a bit (one double). I suppose HD is something we don't think about a lot in canada, so that would be a factor then the plain old fun factor of an auto-loader too. I can definitely see with the hogs it could be a benefit, and large cap mags! Most i've had for coyotes run at me is 5, killed the lead male at 100 and emptied my gun at the runners as per more often than not. Overall i think i've reminded myself i'm more limited by my shooting skills on runners vs the speed a load is chambered. Still good to hear others insight. Would like to see more bolt action love with the Grendel though, i'm sure it's coming, what a great cartridge!
                    When you break position to cycle the action, you just added a lot of time to re-acquiring the sight picture, FOV, and situational awareness of what you were doing. Semi auto solves this easily. Bolt guns are no match, especially at night.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Randy99CL
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2017

If one wants to learn to hit moving targets shooting Skeet can really help. Do some research, there are different methods of leading the target and skeet allows you to practice with target angles varying from flying almost straight away from you to almost 90* across your position. Clay pigeons don't fly very fast and are fairly close to you but at station 4 you have to lead them by about 4 feet.
                      Edit: History Factoid... WW2 gunners assigned to bombers were taught to lead targets with shotguns and clay targets.

A squirrel-hunting friend of mine always uses semi-autos to hunt because of the noise of the bolt action. Many animals won't run at the sound of a shot and will calm down quickly but when you rack a bolt action the mechanical noise can scare them away. His opinion.
                      Last edited by Randy99CL; 01-30-2018, 11:23 PM.
                      "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2017

I'm good with leading fundamentals and a decent shot on the birds as i grew up doing lots of waterfowl...maybe i should still be doing it lol. Nowadays i get out so infrequently it won't matter what i'm holding, if they are running they are mostly safe, i still get the odd one but they are almost always done for if i can get them to stop again.

Comment

• Vetman1
                          Bloodstained
                          • Dec 2017

When you are factoring how far to lead a coyote while they are running are you considering thermal delay? Is it in fact a real occurrence and if so how do you account for the “delay”?

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                            Chieftain
                            • Sep 2013

What you are talking about is called latency of the image. With the scope I am using, it is not noticeable and as such would appear to be well under 1/10 of second and not a significant factor.

Comment

Working...
                            X