• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frontier Gear
    Warrior
    • Nov 2017

Single Shot Grendel Options

As the title states. I was looking for a single shot Grendel. Currently about the best (only?) option that I see is the TC Encore/Contender. Are there any other options? In the past I would purchase either a NEF Handi rifle (preferred) or a Rossi. Both of those have really dried up in the past few years and I don't expect to see either one in the 6.5 Grendel any time soon.

We use single shot rifles for training purposes. A lot of people/kids who are new to guns will do something unexpected after the gun goes off. A single shot adds to my peace of mind. Less chance of me getting accidentally shot when they get excited or scared from the noise and recoil. They are light and basic with only a few moving parts. It is also the kid's hunting rifle for their first few years.

I don't want to get one yet, but would like to add it to the budget for future purchase. We still have one child left to put through hunters safety. It will be a couple of years before she is ready, so I have some time to look.
    Engineer, FFL and Pastor
  • jkingrph
    Warrior
    • Aug 2014

I can effectively make my CZ 527 bolt action into a single shot by the use of a Bob Sled , which allows single rounds to be loaded from the top of the action . It replaces the magazine, and might be a good option as it would give you a repeater for future use. The only other bolt action I am aware of is the Howa and I have never seen one, and do not know if a single shot loader is available for it.
    Member before 2010, account deleted per 2011 spam attack

Comment

• Sticks
      Chieftain
      • Dec 2016

Don't load the magazine.

With the Howa rifles, I just have the empty mag in place, and drop one round in the port when I am ready for a second shot.

Even with the AR, when I was teaching the GF and her daughters to shoot, I would only put one round in the magazine, then two, then I would let them load the mag. Baby steps.
      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Dinny
        Warrior
        • Jun 2016

I had a H&R .22 Hornet barrel rebored and rechambered by Wayne York at Oregunsmithing. Price was $350ish. MGM makes accurate barrels for the TC Encore.

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• Frontier Gear
          Warrior
          • Nov 2017

Thanks for the input guys. I hadn't considered reboring an H&R. I'll give that some thought. It looks like it would end up costing about the same as getting a TC Encore with an MGM barrel. I was kind of hoping that there was another option out there though that I just hadn't found yet. I guess not.

Sticks,
          Very sound advise. For some reason I just like the first baby step to be a break action single shot with an exposed hammer. The exposed hammer is also a good introduction to using lever actions, which are quite common around here. Making them learn and hunt with a single shot also helps make them have a little more respect for each shot. No "spray and pray" techniques. When I first started to get serious about hunting, I purposely started with a flintlock muzzle loader and used that for about three years before going to a break action single shot. Boy did I appreciate that "modern" single shot rifle. It felt like a high tech wonder. No longer did I have to worry about rain and moisture. Reloading was quick and clean up was a so easy as compared to a flintlock.

My son graduated this last year from a single shot to a bolt action. He did great all hunting season with proper handling and loading/unloading. Better than some of my adult friends to be honest He really wants to use the budget build AR Grendel next year for hunting. That's going to require some more range time and going through the process that you described before he earns that responsibility.
          Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• howl
            Warrior
            • Nov 2015

Some people prefer single shots. Being able to see the action broken open is handy. Some people worry about young hands cocking hammers. I tend toward bolt actions because they can be left open and can be used as a single shot with a follower or just taking the magazine out.

My kids' first Grendels will be Howa Minis. The magazines will stay behind when we go hunting.

Comment

• Drift
              Warrior
              • Nov 2014

A T/C Contender is probably better suited to the Grendel then an Encore.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                Warrior
                • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Drift View Post
                A T/C Contender is probably better suited to the Grendel then an Encore.
                Oh, why is that?
                Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• bj139
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2017

You can put a piece of paint stirrer stick in a magazine to limit the capacity to zero if needed.

Comment

• Drift
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2014

The difference between an Encore and a Contender is like the difference between a AR 10 and andAR 15. One is big and heavy, the other is slim and light. The Contender is about maxed out with the Grendel, but will fit the frame of kid much better.

Comment

• 65Whelen
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2014

Probably not what you had in mind but you asked for options. AR-15 with an adjustable gas block and close the gas block.

Comment

• bj139
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2017

Originally posted by 65Whelen View Post
                        Probably not what you had in mind but you asked for options. AR-15 with an adjustable gas block and close the gas block.
                        Or move the gas block forward slightly to cover the port if not adjustable.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                          Warrior
                          • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Drift View Post
                          The difference between an Encore and a Contender is like the difference between a AR 10 and andAR 15. One is big and heavy, the other is slim and light. The Contender is about maxed out with the Grendel, but will fit the frame of kid much better.
                          Thanks. I've never purchased a TC before, so I learned something new.

I'm leaning towards the TC, but the new Ruger American does have my interest. The Ruger would be about half the cost of the TC.
                          Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• mdram
                            Warrior
                            • Sep 2016

ruger #1 with custom barrel?
                            just some targets for printing
                            https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2017

Originally posted by mdram View Post
                              ruger #1 with custom barrel?
                              That would be awesome, but too much $$$ for me.
                              Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

Working...
                              X