• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jkingrph
    Warrior
    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by mdram View Post
    ruger #1 with custom barrel?
    That would be ideal. Convert the little 1a light rifle. I have one I found badly used at a gun show, 7x57. Metal was good, stock finish was cloudy and totally missing in large spots, and wood underneath had oxidized to gray. When I finally got all the old finish off and wood lightly sanded it ended up being some of the nicest wood I have. I installed a Kepplinger set trigger and it's one of my favorite rifles, not the most accurate as it is one of the early red pad models that has an extremely long chamber throat, but still fun to shoot.
    Member before 2010, account deleted per 2011 spam attack

Comment

• howl
      Warrior
      • Nov 2015

Who sells Contender barrels for the Grendel? It would be a neat piece to have.

Comment

• Ken AZ
        Unwashed
        • Jan 2018

Match Grade Machine just released the Contender G2 barrels. The 6.5 has to much pressure for the original Contender so they changed the barrel lug so that it will only mount on a G2 version. The original Contender did not have the side reinforcement ribs like the Encore. When the side ribs were added to the G2 it increased the pressure level they can withstand.

It does make for a light package. Very good for a young shooter.

Haus of Arms has just gotten in a shipment of youth thumb hole stocks also.

I got lucky and won a complete G2 rifle in 6.5 Grendel from Haus of Arms with the full bore custom treatment MGM barrel. I'm new to the caliber and looking forward to doing a lot of accuracy and reloading on this one.

TC G2 65 1.jpg

Comment

• Frontier Gear
          Warrior
          • Nov 2017

Awesome little single shot there! Just what I was looking for. Thanks
          Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• biodsl
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Ken AZ View Post
            I got lucky and won a complete G2 rifle in 6.5 Grendel from Haus of Arms with the full bore custom treatment MGM barrel. I'm new to the caliber and looking forward to doing a lot of accuracy and reloading on this one.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10748[/ATTACH]
            Congrats! What a prize. I got into the Grendel prior to it's SAAMI adoption and wide spread acceptance. I was practically forced into reloading. It's been a great adventure. I hope you have a similar experience.
            Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Ken AZ
              Unwashed
              • Jan 2018

I am looking forward to it. I've been reloading for over 50 years so I've got more than needed to take on one more round...
              This one has me excited as I think it has the potential to be an excellent match to the G2 Contender.

I have a target rich environment here in AZ. I just have to get them away from the house.

Javalina aug 17.jpg

Comment

• jkingrph
                Warrior
                • Aug 2014

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
                I got into the Grendel prior to it's SAAMI adoption and wide spread acceptance. I was practically forced into reloading. It's been a great adventure. I hope you have a similar experience.
                Sounds like my experience. When I started commercial Grendel brass was only available sporadically through Alexander Arms, and was very expensive. I found a deal on a quantity of 7.62x39 IMI new brass, purchased some ran it all through my Grendel sizing die and have been fireforming since. I have gotten some proper Grendel brass with small primer since, but really cannot tell much difference, at least through my AR type rifles.
                Member before 2010, account deleted per 2011 spam attack

Comment

• jackRyan
                  Bloodstained
                  • May 2020

Wow very nice. That will be a fun shooter. Was wondering the max barrel length to get the most out of a 6.5 Grendel

Comment

• Cowdog
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2018

MGM will build you one up to 27 " long for the G2 Contender. In 1-7, 1-7.5, 1-8 or 1-9 twist rates.

Comment

• se3388
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2011

I recently picked up a Stainless G2 rifle kit from Bud's to keep my two Encores company. The first barrel I had made was an 22" MGM 6.5 Grendel and like all my other MGM barrels it is super accurate. My next barrel for it started as an Anschutz 22 lr barrel blank that I had MGM turn into a 20 inch rifle barrel.

This was my second outing @50 yds with the 22 lr (got my bench set up on the back porch), the 405 acres out back are filled with Ticks this year so I'm sticking to the back yard. I will move the target out to 100 yds and check out the 22 lr when I shoot the 6.5 Grendel again. The F marked 22 lr rounds turns out to be Federal 555's.

Steve...........
                      Last edited by se3388; 06-19-2020, 07:59 PM.

Comment

• FloorPoor
                        Bloodstained
                        • Feb 2020

Originally posted by Frontier Gear View Post
                        As the title states. I was looking for a single shot Grendel. Currently about the best (only?) option that I see is the TC Encore/Contender. Are there any other options? In the past I would purchase either a NEF Handi rifle (preferred) or a Rossi. Both of those have really dried up in the past few years and I don't expect to see either one in the 6.5 Grendel any time soon.

We use single shot rifles for training purposes. A lot of people/kids who are new to guns will do something unexpected after the gun goes off. A single shot adds to my peace of mind. Less chance of me getting accidentally shot when they get excited or scared from the noise and recoil. They are light and basic with only a few moving parts. It is also the kid's hunting rifle for their first few years.

I don't want to get one yet, but would like to add it to the budget for future purchase. We still have one child left to put through hunters safety. It will be a couple of years before she is ready, so I have some time to look.
                        A bolt action rifle is what I started all my kids on. Just load one round in the magazine. I did have an excellent Savage "Scout" single shot bolt action .22lr that I started some of the kids with. It's ridiculously accurate, and cost less than $200. I picked it because it had arpature sights, and a much better trigger than any other youth model rifle available at the time. I gave it to my nephew a few years ago after all of my kids had out grown it. I also bought my autistic son a heavy barreled H&R .223, but he prefers my bolt action Ruger M77 223.

The Howa mini action is the best bolt Grendel on the market, but the garbage factory magazine/bottom "metal" needs to be replaced. I opted for the Jefferson Outdoors hinged floorplate/box magazine. Excellent quality for a reasonable price.

A bolt action is as good a single shot for training, as long as you maintain control of the ammunition.

As others have stated, you could have an H&R rebored and rechambered, but you will spend as much as you will spend on a complete Howa mini for the custom work, plus the cost of the rifle. You can have an excellent Howa, with the hinged floorplate upgrade, for less money invested overall.

Comment

• Singleshotsam
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jan 2016

I am a single shot hunter by nature, my first 6.5gr was howa mini first came out. On the bench I use it as a single and I put one in the clip when hunting but I have not needed the second one yet.I want a T/C barrelin 6.5 but the makers i ask would not make one for my G2 when I ask, so I dont have one yet. Love the grendel round, have not hunted with any thing else since I got it

Comment

• hill37
                            Warrior
                            • Apr 2017

I've tried to get Henry to do a Grendel youth model. No luck yet. Henry has a caliber suggestion page on their web site. The 6.5 Grendel is on the list. Maybe more request would get something done.

Comment

• GregP42
                              Warrior
                              • Mar 2015

2020-07-05 11.02.08-1.jpg

My 15" 6.5mm Grendel T/C. I had the barrel made by MGM a few years ago. I know that they will only do it for a G2 now since that one was made.

Greg

Comment

• Bottomdweller
                                Bloodstained
                                • Jun 2020

Originally posted by Ken AZ View Post
                                Match Grade Machine just released the Contender G2 barrels. The 6.5 has to much pressure for the original Contender so they changed the barrel lug so that it will only mount on a G2 version. The original Contender did not have the side reinforcement ribs like the Encore. When the side ribs were added to the G2 it increased the pressure level they can withstand.

It does make for a light package. Very good for a young shooter.

Haus of Arms has just gotten in a shipment of youth thumb hole stocks also.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10748[/ATTACH]
                                I too have a TC Encore with a thumb hole stock. I think you are on the right track with the G2 but I would shy away from the thumb hole. I would not have bought it if I would have been able to put my mitts on one first. They look cool but they are very impractical. Especially for young shooters. The rifle is a single shot. One shot. When the opportunity presents itself, it's sometimes fleeting. When you throw that rifle up to the shoulder, you have to take your eyes off the target and take your hand out of the grip to get at the hammer. Then find the target again if it is still available. And if not, now you have a cocked rifle that needs uncocked. Too much for a young shooter, too much for me also. I stopped hunting with mine for this reason.

Comment

Working...
                                X