• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ed Baker
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2016

Cold Weather Lubricant

What are you using for cold weather lubricant on your AR-15 6.5 Grendel? I am using Mobile 1 Synthetic. Others have suggested Frog Lube or Slip 2000 EWL.... I am talking about 32 degrees or colder.

Ed
  • The Profit Joseph Sith
    Warrior
    • Nov 2016

Definitely NOT frog lube. Its widely been known to freeze in cold weather and seize. Eze ox or sentry solutions dry film lube. Which is just a molybdenum powder in a alcohol (Isopropyl) carrier. I also like crc synthetic brake grease its moly (MoS2) teflon and graphite particles in carrier. Although im not sure what that carrier is. Not sure if it will work for sub zero though. The dry lube definitely shouldn't gum up though.

Edit sorry should have said base instead of carrier to eleviate any confusion.
    Last edited by The Profit Joseph Sith; 01-05-2018, 05:33 AM.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
      Warrior
      • Nov 2017

One of the interesting things about living in Washington state is the vast extremes. We have the desert which commonly sees triple digits and is very dry, the coastal rain forests, the palouse flat lands, volcanic mountains and the frigid cold winters along the north 49th parallel. It was -4 here this morning 10 miles south of the Canadian border. I've spent time in most of the climates that this state offers and my gun lubricant has always worked well. Just recently I have been testing my two Grendel builds in the snow, letting them sit outside for a few minutes to get good and cold before trying them. http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...l=1#post177307 I've done these tests in the past as well and have never had an issue with the lubricant. Originally, I started doing sub-zero testing to see if polymers and plastics would crack. I've used the same lubricant since I got my first gun at the age of 13, twenty eight years ago. It's the same one that my dad used as a cop to lubricate his Smith and Wesson 38sp revolver. Good old fashioned Hoppes No.9 http://www.hoppes.com/traditional/lubricating-oil It's just a light machine oil with no fancy additives. Sometimes I think we over complicate stuff. The Spokane County Sheriffs department has successfully been using motor oil for a number of years as well.

81hb7lS5ciL._SL1500_.jpg
      Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

LLRP52 will hopefully chime in here. He has done extensive training and shooting in pucker power cold conditions, but I can not remember for the life of me what he uses/recommends.
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

I’ve used Breakfree CLP since it came on the market and it has been gtg, sub zero to 100+. In the Academy one of the old range guys liked automatic transmission fluid if nothing else was available.

Comment

• rwh
            Warrior
            • Jun 2014

I rarely shoot below 20F but when I do I like mobil 1 5w40. Slip 2000 EWL is a lot more expensive and I can't tell much difference.

Comment

• bj139
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2017

Here is a past thread which has a lot of ideas.
              I finished assembling my very first AR today but it is bone dry. I've watched several youtube videos on what to lube on a new rifle but my question is not what to lube but what lube to use. In Google searches I've read everything from Frog Lube to transmission oil to Mobil 1 oil to ... I don't really have an area in the

Comment

• Ed Baker
                Bloodstained
                • Dec 2016

Thanks for all the input!

Comment

• sneaky one
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Last edited by sneaky one; 01-01-2018, 07:19 PM.

Comment

• LR1955
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Ed Baker View Post
                    What are you using for cold weather lubricant on your AR-15 6.5 Grendel? I am using Mobile 1 Synthetic. Others have suggested Frog Lube or Slip 2000 EWL.... I am talking about 32 degrees or colder.

Ed
                    Ed:

I use issued CLP until it gets below about 20. Then I use cold weather CLP and haven't found a low temperature that gives it problems.

Like most things related to firearms, over 90% is garbage and hype and about 10% is truth. Unfortunately for the truth tellers, their side is pretty boring.

Am I fanatical about CLP? Nope. I have a couple of gallons of the stuff and it works so there is no need to spend money on other stuff.

LR55

Comment

• Dcommoncents
                      Warrior
                      • Jul 2017

I haven't deliberately done any lubricant testing, but anecdotally speaking slip 2k seems to work well year-round. I've had more than a few range sessions of an hour or more in local winter conditions, generally 20-35 degrees F, and don't recall having any malfunctions.

Comment

• treed
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jul 2016

I have been using G96 syn CLP for a few years. U.S forces issue that has replaced LAW for cold weather apps. I was out and about a few days ago and fired several 5.56 at -26 with no problems.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                          Warrior
                          • Nov 2017

Did some more shooting today in the snow. The temperature was low teens to single digits. I even laid the Grendel directly in the snow for about 10-15 minutes after letting it sit outside for about half an hour. No issues whatsoever.
                          Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Ed Baker
                            Bloodstained
                            • Dec 2016

Great information...thanks for everyone's input....

Comment

Working...
                            X