• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vetman1
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2017

Coyote Bullet Terminal Performance Questions

I have just started working with the Grendel and studying up on different bullet results. I have been hunting coyotes and occasionally hogs with a hand loaded 125 grain SST in .300 Blackout. We shot 3 coyotes on one stand Friday night hitting all three coyotes in the lung area. On all 3 shots I heard the bullet ricochet after it exited the animal. Two of the coyotes had quarter sized exit wounds. I do hunt elevated about 8 foot off of the ground on a makeshift Highrack.

I understand that my desires may not be reality. My questions concern both terminal performance of the Grendel bullets as well as expansion of the bullet. I would love to have a bullet that kills quickly, but does not readily richochet upon exit. I know this is not reality, but are some bullets more apt to perform in this way than others? Obviously I make sure of my back drop when shooting, but the richochets are troubling to hear.

I have been looking at the 123 grain SST, the 100 grain Nosler Ballistic tips, and the 95 grain V-max. Of these three I suspect the 123 grain SST might exit a coyote and richochet more often than not resulting in a narrow wound channel and having a coyote run off to die elsewhere.

If I remember correctly the Ballistic tips from Nosler are not all the same. I thought I read where the Ballistic tips less than 100 grains were more frangible and should not be used on hogs or deer.

Also, concerning the V-max. This bullet appears to be the most frangible of the 3 bullets I have mentioned. My concerns are that there are reports of the V-max stopping at the shoulder and not entering the chest cavity of the coyote resulting in wounded and lost animals.

Finally, I occasionally come across hogs while coyote hunting. I feel like from experience and research that the SST is probably the best bullet for Hog hunting, but I worry about them not expanding enough in coyotes. I have some concerns with the Ballistic tip being tough enough to enter a Hog and kill them cleanly. I also have real doubts about the V-max being able to cleanly kill a large boar.

I am pretty sure I want my cake and eat it as well. I just want opinions on terminal performance comparison between these three bullets.
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

VM1, check with Double Naught Spy; he usually shoots coyotes with 123 SST. See his video "Coyotes of 2017" here.
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Djgrendel
      Warrior
      • Feb 2016

I have zero experience shooting hogs. But considering coyotes the 123 sst and 100 grain ballistic tip will make holes in and out. I usually use the vmax and sierra's 85 grain hollowpoint . I Have not used the 90 grain tnt load on song dogs yet, but I think they would do just fine as well. I get pass through with about every bullet on a broadside coyote.
      Yard work is not an excuse!

Comment

• Frontier Gear
        Warrior
        • Nov 2017

What's your range? If I understand you correctly, you are looking for something that will kill effectively and not exit the animal. So you want a good amount of energy with a limited amount of penetration.

Sounds like you may need two different rounds/calibers. For 100 yards or less on a non-exiting coyote, I would recommend a 180-200 grain 44 magnum hollow point fired out of a rifle. I've used that in the past and it works wonders. 3/4" entry hole and the slug is found under the skin on the opposite side. A hot 45LC in a rifle would do the same thing. That's probably not a good choice for a hog though or for distances over 100 yards. For a hog under 100 yards and without over penetration, I'd be looking at a hollow point out of a 458 SOCOM, 450 Bushmaster, 45-70 or something along those lines. I have no experience with hogs, but I'm pretty sure they are going to be harder to kill than a coyote.
        Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• NugginFutz
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

All the coyote's I've shot with the VMax were DRT. Broadside exit hole the size of a baseball. (6mm 87 VMax @ 2850 fps). Most satisfactory, and I seriously doubt there was ever anything solid or massive enough to ricochet.

Hogs? They haven't made it into my part of the country, yet.
          If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• tracker12
            Warrior
            • Dec 2017

Ballistic Tips are death on coyotes. Load them fast and you will get great expansion. I have used the 120 grain with great success when I lived out in Cali.
            AR's make shooting fun again!

Comment

Working...
            X