• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Armadillo66
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2017

Ruger American in 6.5 Grendel

Gloriosky ! Ruger dropped a sweet 6.5 Grendel on us, uses AR mags, not sure if AR10 or AR15 platform yet

should sell some units for Ruger and be a big hit at Shot show
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

AR mag eh? Whaddya know!!! I'd bet the AR15 mag....
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

Cool. But not Super Cool.

Super Cool is making a dedicated "micro-bolt" receiver for it like Howa has done.

Since it first came out years ago I've loved how the Ruger American did a great job of putting most of my bolt-gun "wish-list" features into an accurate and affordable rifle. Particularly, I'm a fan of three-lug bolts. (Other wish-list features include tang safety, great trigger with safety blade, integrated Picatinny receiver rails.)

Maybe I'll upgrade this announcement to Very Cool. . . .

Pro Tip for Manufacturers: Make your 6.5 Grendel bolt actions with a micro-bolt receiver that can handle a Cartridge Overall Length (COL) of 2.400 but not more!
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• bakabone25
        Warrior
        • Dec 2016

Great to see another grendel option. I've got one chambered in 300 blk, and it certainly is a shooter. Its a real fun and affordable gun to shoot. I'd would certainly like to try one.

Comment

• Armadillo66
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2017

that is why I am curious if it needs AR10 mags or AR15 mags

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
            Cool. But not Super Cool.

Pro Tip for Manufacturers: Make your 6.5 Grendel bolt actions with a micro-bolt receiver that can handle a Cartridge Overall Length (COL) of 2.400 but not more!
            True, however from a mfg standpoint if they have the short action (or maybe a 223-length) already worked up then it's faster to market by changing the barrel... if they have the 223/300BO (which they seem to) then re-barrel, tweak the bolt head and voila! Head space is already possible b/c of the Remage barrel nut, right? Grendel out the door! Maybe it's a nominal 2.300" capable action? we shall see.

Comment

• grayfox
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2017

I don't mean any disrespect to Howa, I have one and like it a lot.
              That being said, every design has pros and cons... and Howa seems to have trouble finding a way to make an AR/Grrr mag fit their rifle...
              O well, buy 'em both and enjoy!

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                Warrior
                • Nov 2017

This has my attention. I have a Ruger American Predator in .308 and there is one thing I really don't like about it... the rotary magazines. They are cheaply built, are unreliable and expensive to replace. If you have one that works count yourself lucky. They get stuck and don't advance the next round at some point or another. You end up giving the side of your gun a smack to make the next bullet pop up. My last mag actually broke in half. The rear plate came off. It was about $30 to get it replaced. I'm glad to see that they are rectifying the issue and am really curious what mags they are compatible with.
                Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                  Administrator
                  • Feb 2011

Yeah, I understand mass-production manufacturing efficiencies. . . . I'm just a dreamer for The Ultimate Uncompromised Cool Thing — that's still affordable.

Putting the 6.5 Grendel in a standard .308-class short action is like dressing a bikini model in baggy combat fatigues. . . .

As far as mags go, what I want in one of these bolt actions is simply a 5- to 10-round factory AK-style "rock-n-lock" double-stack magazine. Polymer is OK; Magpul has proven that. Shouldn't be too hard. Integrate mag release into trigger guard.
                  :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• StoneHendge
                    Chieftain
                    • May 2016

Now that they’ve learned about the Grrrrrrr, we need a Scout!

And Savage seems to love to copy whatever Ruger does these days, so.......
                    Last edited by StoneHendge; 01-02-2018, 09:29 PM.
                    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Kilco
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2016

Been waiting for this. Ruger Americans group way better than thier price point should allow.

Comment

• howl
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2015

I hope they sell so many Browning does some, too. Browning still has the super short action they could build on. I'd buy three.

Comment

• grayfox
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2017

It's a 10-round mag, looks a lot like the 223 predator mag, definitely not the rotary type.
                          Looks kind-like a Pmag...
                          The 308 mag slot looks longer than the 223/grendel slot.
                          I compared the pic on ruger.com to the 223 and they look alike.
                          Even has the barrel threaded/TP. Says its a heavier barrel, 22".
                          6.6 lbs. Retail $529, available now according to the website.

RugerAmer-Grendel.jpg

Comment

• Drift
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2014

Finally! An American gunmaker building a Grendel. We'ave waited what 14-15 years for this. To bad Mr Alexander got out of the Grendel game before this happened. And it's Ruger..and they do make a micro action...the Mini 30..so they have to be at least looking at doing that. ...

Comment

• Randy99CL
                              Warrior
                              • Oct 2017

Wow, that is great! And the Predator usually sells for around $400.
                              "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

Working...
                              X