X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stumpjumper3d
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2017

I agree it should have been 16 inch ranch rifle. In this 22 inch lenght you might has well get 6.5 creedmore. Howa seems to be hung up on a mag for the mini, which I hate . I may just get rid of my mini and get a ranch rifle in 7.62x39, even if has a mag which maybe a 5 round mag will be closer to the bottom of the stock. Has anyone put a 5 rd mag in the 7.62x39 ranch rifle?

Comment

• Jmccracken
      Warrior
      • Dec 2017

I may buy 2 of these. I've got 3 gun stores waiting for their distributor to get some in stock for me to order. I'd like a second one and cut the barrel down, but I like the idea of a 22"

Comment

• Frontier Gear
        Warrior
        • Nov 2017

Yep, finding them in stock is going to be a challenge for a while. I think that Ruger underestimated the popularity of these and didn't make enough. They sold out quickly.
        Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Jmccracken
          Warrior
          • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Frontier Gear View Post
          Yep, finding them in stock is going to be a challenge for a while. I think that Ruger underestimated the popularity of these and didn't make enough. They sold out quickly.
          I hope one of the 3 stores i called, gets atleast 1. Im selling my AR upper this weekend, so ill have the cash!

Comment

• Frontier Gear
            Warrior
            • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Jmccracken View Post
            I hope one of the 3 stores i called, gets atleast 1. Im selling my AR upper this weekend, so ill have the cash!
            Sending you a PM. I have a few Grendels so I can part with this one. I won't really be ready for it until spring anyways. By then hopefully the supply lines will have filled back up again.
            Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• ricsmall
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

I think the velocity loss for Grendel is around 25-30 fps per inch IIRC. There is a chart in the Grendel handbook from Paul. This is the reason for the popularity of the 16-18” pipes over the 22-24”. Even the 12.5” Grendel’s are holding their own out to medium range.

A lot of folks are asking "What should I expect the velocity in my barrel when the posted load is for a different barrel length?" There are techniques for estimating velocity and some are better than others. If you want a precise estimate, try using this link: Velocity Estimator (http://shootersnotes

ETA: Found the old chart from years ago
              Last edited by ricsmall; 02-04-2018, 03:22 AM.
              Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
                I think the velocity loss for Grendel is around 25-30 fps per inch IIRC. There is a chart in the Grendel handbook from Paul. This is the reason for the popularity of the 16-18” pipes over the 22-24”. Even the 12.5” Grendel’s are holding their own out to medium range.

A lot of folks are asking "What should I expect the velocity in my barrel when the posted load is for a different barrel length?" There are techniques for estimating velocity and some are better than others. If you want a precise estimate, try using this link: Velocity Estimator (http://shootersnotes

ETA: Found the old chart from years ago
                Joe made that chart. Barrel loss per inch is not a linear function, since you have different curves based on the optimum length for the case capacity, working pressure, and projectile shape/weight with given bore volumes.

I did a science project focusing on barrel length with the 6.5 Grendel and found something like 18fps per inch difference between various 16" and 20" rifles shooting the same loads, so roughly 76fps mv difference between a 16" and a 20".
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Jmccracken
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                  Joe made that chart. Barrel loss per inch is not a linear function, since you have different curves based on the optimum length for the case capacity, working pressure, and projectile shape/weight with given bore volumes.

I did a science project focusing on barrel length with the 6.5 Grendel and found something like 18fps per inch difference between various 16" and 20" rifles shooting the same loads, so roughly 76fps mv difference between a 16" and a 20".
                  76fps isnt even worth worrying about either. Wont make much difference will it?

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                    Chieftain
                    • May 2012

the only place 76fps might make a difference is if you are target shooting out to 1k that 76fps at the muzzle might keep you above trans sonic where the slower may not depending on the bullet but at hunting ranges animals wont know the difference and you will be above the 1800fps threshold out past 400 with either, i used 2425 and 2500 in the balistics calculator and uses the 129 ablr as bullet (i know the expansion is down to 1300 but wanted to keep it 1800 for the purpose of generalization) and how many of us are shooting at game past 400 anyway so...
                    Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• explorecaves
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by mongoosesnipe View Post
                      the only place 76fps might make a difference is if you are target shooting out to 1k that 76fps at the muzzle might keep you above trans sonic where the slower may not depending on the bullet but at hunting ranges animals wont know the difference and you will be above the 1800fps threshold out past 400 with either, i used 2425 and 2500 in the balistics calculator and uses the 129 ablr as bullet (i know the expansion is down to 1300 but wanted to keep it 1800 for the purpose of generalization) and how many of us are shooting at game past 400 anyway so...
                      Depends how much of a lead my enemies get.... oh wait, was that out loud?

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2017

I think that it's pretty barrel dependent. I have a 16" BCA barrel with traditional rifling and an 18" BCA barrel with 5R rifling. There is a consistent 100fps difference between them (the 18" being faster fps).
                        Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                          Chieftain
                          • May 2012

Originally posted by explorecaves View Post
                          Depends how much of a lead my enemies get.... oh wait, was that out loud?
                          based on anecdotal researched humans are not as tough as animals so unless your enemies are game animals the statement holds and the 128 will stay above the 1300 thresh hold until around 750 also if game animals are you enemies terminal ballistics are the least of your concerns
                          Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• Sticks
                            Chieftain
                            • Dec 2016

Some four legged mammals get down right bitchy when they get shot. It's like they take it personal or something.
                            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

One thing that stands out with Ruger is that despite the complaints of some about action size across their line-up, they seem to be one of the main US legacy gun companies that continues to make a profit.

That standardization of action size across model numbers helps streamline their production and parts commonality, allowing profitability, quicker delivery times, and ease of TQM.

They have a very diverse product portfolio that must still be a headache to manage from a market demand and production standpoint, but look how Remington is doing currently in comparison.

Riger has found a way to hit home runs enough with different products, whether I like them or not, and that seems to be helping them sustain their business.

What I find interesting is that a company that conservatively manages their product line in such a manner as to really take the time to research before launching a winner, like the RPR, decided to introduce a 6.5 Grendel bolt gun.

What is it about the market that they know that most others don't?
                              Last edited by LRRPF52; 02-10-2018, 05:40 PM.
                              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• usmcm16a2
                                Warrior
                                • Aug 2015

LRRPF52,

I think Rugers ability to come up with winners is its keen eye for what is going on in the market. They see a trend, and bring out what people want. Remington sucks, I have had nothing but trouble with the last 2-3 Remington 700 rifles purchased. Scope base holes drilled off center, soft bolts, poor customer service. Ruger is also beholden to itself, not like Remington, who under Cerbus. Ruger has a management team that cares about its customers, its stock holders, and the quality of its products. A2

Comment

Working...
                                X