• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Twicepop
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2018

Data with WW748?

I just joined the Grendel Forum and have been reading some of the posts and many of them seem to recommend Hodgdon CFE223 and IMR 8208. Has anyone had any experience with WW748 or Ramshot TAC. The load data for the Grendel I've been reading, the TAC seems to offer the highest velocities and am curious about the 748 because I have a lot of it. Thanks in advance.
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

Alexander Arms has some reloading data on their website with a few mentions of WW748.
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Drillboss
      Warrior
      • Jan 2015

Hornady, Speer, and Sierra all have Win 748 data.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I used some Winchester 748 when I first got into the 6.5 Grendel in 2010. For several years there was a shortage of powder and you had to use what you could find. Winchester 748 was accurate and clean burning in my 16” 6.5 Grendel. I didn’t load max charges or actually chronograph my loads. If I still had some W748 I’d have no hesitation using it in my 6.5 Grendel. If I remember correctly I used Winchester 748 with 123 grain A-Max and 120 grain Pro Hunter bullets.

I also used Tac with some 95 grain V-Max in my 6.5 Grendel. Tac was accurate in my 6.5 Grendel but didn’t produce as high of velocity as I expected with heavier bullets. If I remember correctly I used Tac with some 120 grain Sierra Pro Hunter soft points. I think I only got about 2200 FPS out of my 16” barrel with the 120 grain PH. I liked Tac better for the lighter bullets with the 6.5 Grendel.

Western has online load data available for all the Accurate and Ramshot Powders in 6.5 Grendel. I really like Xterminator/Accurate 2230 powder with light bullets in 6.5 Grendel. A Friend has used a lot of Accurate 2520 with 123 grain SMK and 120 grain Nosler BT.
        Last edited by VASCAR2; 01-03-2018, 02:10 PM.

Comment

• DDRanch
          Warrior
          • Jul 2017

VASCAR2 Can you remember what your starting load was for the 123 gr A-max bullet with Winchester 748 powder

Comment

• hikfromstik
            Warrior
            • Oct 2016

Just noticed that on AA data it says magnum small rifle primers . If it'll boost velocity without over pressure signs I'll give'em a whirl .

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
              Warrior
              • Feb 2017

Originally posted by hikfromstik View Post
              Just noticed that on AA data it says magnum small rifle primers . If it'll boost velocity without over pressure signs I'll give'em a whirl .
              Many ball and flatten-ball powder makers recommend magnum primers. I've used both standard and magnum with no noticeable difference.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

The main reason to use magnum primers is the thicker primer cup which resist slam fires from AR-15 floating firing pins. I’ve gotten some pierced primers with newer Winchester small rifle primers in AR-15’s. The loads were not to hot but the thin cups along with the floating firing pin protrusion variability between different AR rifles reinforced my decision to use either CCI 41 or CCI 450 primers in my AR’s.

Here is a good read on rifle primers.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by DDRanch View Post
                  VASCAR2 Can you remember what your starting load was for the 123 gr A-max bullet with Winchester 748 powder
                  I checked my log and I loaded 123 grain A-Max with 29.0 grains of Winchester 748 in once fired Hornady 6.5 Grendel brass. I also loaded 123 grain A-Max with 27.5 grains of Winchester 748 in Fire Formed X39 brass with W-W large rifle primers. I loaded these A-Max to factory Hornady A-Max COAL at 2.245.

According to Hornady Manual 29.5 grains W 748 is a max load with 123 grain A-Max. The fire formed 7.62X39 brass to 6.5 Grendel has less case capacity than typical 6.5 Grendel brass so you need to reduce your powder charge.

I got acceptable accuracy with 748 (around 1” groups @ 100 yards) with both loads but never chronographed them. I shot these in my 16” 1:9 twist chrome moly J&T Dist. 6.5 Grendel. My 16” J&T/Double Star AR-15 has a non free float barrel and shoots really well. I’m usually the weak link.

I shot these loads off a bipod using a 3-9X40 Mark AR mil dot scope. Here is a picture of my 6.5 Grendel but with an E O Tech. The 6.5/Grendel is the AR-15 in the middle.

2D090FD3-0B3A-4502-A2FF-331DF9DE6C3A by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/150966264@N06/]
                  Last edited by VASCAR2; 01-05-2018, 12:38 AM.

Comment

• DDRanch
                    Warrior
                    • Jul 2017

VASCAR2 - Thanks for info

Comment

• ErikS
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2017

Tagged, I have some 748 I might have to give it a go.
                      #shareyourspare

Comment

• diddlyv
                        Warrior
                        • Aug 2016

Watch out for the 748 it is pretty temperature sensitive and a load that is close to max but showing no real pressure signs on a just above freezing winter match day will be way to hot on hot summer day.
                        Queen of Battle
                        Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• blltsmth
                          Unwashed
                          • Mar 2017

The 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks, Volumes 1 and 2 also have data for 748!!

Comment

Working...
                          X