• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SpairParts
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2017

Magazine problem

I bought 2 ASC 10rd mags and i believe they are both a POS!
    I have tried polishing the lip all the war around the top but both are still scratching the heck out of the shells. Can anything be done to fix them?
    IMG_20180101_171409667.jpg
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

Is it the magazine or the feed ramps in the barrel extension?
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• blackholegun
      Bloodstained
      • Oct 2017

My ASC mags did the same thing.
      Everything I enjoy doing is either illegal, immoral or, just to damn expensive

Comment

• SpairParts
        Bloodstained
        • Nov 2017

Did you fix them and how?

Comment

• Crusty
          Warrior
          • Dec 2017

I recently bought a C Products 10 rd (despite all the problems users reported) and I've found that it functions the best out of my collection which also includes ASC and Elander mags. I did take the follower out and lightly sanded each side so that it slides smoothly. My ASCs function after some lip tweaking but they scratch up my cases. The Elander 28s function well but I don't have any real use for mags that big and mostly they're just in the way.
          I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• Harpoon1
            Chieftain
            • Dec 2017

Originally posted by SpairParts View Post
            I bought 2 ASC 10rd mags and i believe they are both a POS!
            I have tried polishing the lip all the war around the top but both are still scratching the heck out of the shells. Can anything be done to fix them?
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]10672[/ATTACH]
            The front lip on the ASC mag is higher than on the C-product or E-lander mags. The result is the edge of the case neck "stubs it's toe" trying to clear the ASC mag. Or, is at least part of the problem. I take a little mill bastard file to mine and shorten it up some, to better match the other mags.

C-Products, ASC, E-Lander in order in the attached picture.

IMG_751.jpg
            Last edited by Harpoon1; 01-25-2018, 06:26 PM.

Comment

• Dcommoncents
              Warrior
              • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Harpoon1 View Post
              The front lip on the ASC mag is higher than on the C-product or E-lander mags. The result is the edge of the case neck "stubs it's toe" trying to clear the ASC mag. Or, is at least part of the problem. I take a little mill bastard file to mine and shorten it up some, to better match the other mags
              I tried this on the one POS ASC mag I am unfortunate enough to own and it still won't feed properly. The feed lips look to be very close to the lips on my Elander that works perfectly, but since there's really nothing to lose I might try bending them some since the nose of the rounds seem to point down a little more in the ASC mag.

I hope you have better luck with your mags SpairParts, otherwise they'll end up matching your forum name.

Comment

• Harpoon1
                Chieftain
                • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Dcommoncents View Post
                I tried this on the one POS ASC mag I am unfortunate enough to own and it still won't feed properly. The feed lips look to be very close to the lips on my Elander that works perfectly, but since there's really nothing to lose I might try bending them some since the nose of the rounds seem to point down a little more in the ASC mag.

I hope you have better luck with your mags SpairParts, otherwise they'll end up matching your forum name.

Bummer! The ones I've modified run fine, at least so far................

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Comment

• sneaky one
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

L52 explained how to polish the bbl. ext. He called it a meltdown. I did it on last 5 builds, Plus sanded and polished under the magazine lips - then run a Q tip over all to verify a snag free item.

Brass comes out scratch free.

Comment

• sschefer
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jan 2018

I saw on a couple of other forums where folks were using 6.8 mags for 6.5 Grendel because of the mag problems. I sent Alexander Arms an email asking about it but they're all at SHOT until next Monday. I just ordered a bunch of ELander mags from AA because after loading mine up and letting them sit for a week, they seem to run fine. I did have a problem the first time I used them but that was before I let them sit.

Comment

• bj139
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2017

I bought two 25 round 6.8 mags when Midway had them on sale for about $10 and change.
                        Reviews on Midway reported they worked fine with 6.5 Grendel.
                        I fed 20 Grendel rounds through them through and they fed and ejected 100% just working them through the action.
                        Three weeks later they went on sale for $8 and change so I bought five more. It's an easy way to store a 20 round box of ammo.
                        I used one at the range today and it functioned 100% for 20 rounds.
                        The brass was steel cased Wolf but I did not see any scratches.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                          Chieftain
                          • Oct 2016

I am not sold on any ASC or affiliate mags. My several from ASC, STONER, and ARI(?) are all horrible at scratching the brass. Two of them scratch badly enough at the case mouth to make me worry about weakening the brass under pressure. I don't use any of them except for my steel cased ammunition.

I am not impressed with the finish of any of the ASC products magazines for Grendel. My 5.56 are all great. ( I am assuming that these are ASCs, I'll do some more research.)

My experience with E-landers (made in Israel?) is that they function great, but vary on COAL due to poor QC in the spot welding dept. Be sure to inspect your welds, and have at it. None of mine scratch the brass. I prefer the 17s for length vs capacity, and being able to buy 10 of the same thing that fulfills all intended purposes. The 17s allow me to use my 7-13 Harris bipod with a minimalist bag in the back and still clear the mag when prone.
                          Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                            Chieftain
                            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Harpoon1 View Post
                            The front lip on the ASC mag is higher than on the C-product or E-lander mags. The result is the edge of the case neck "stubs it's toe" trying to clear the ASC mag. Or, is at least part of the problem. I take a little mill bastard file to mine and shorten it up some, to better match the other mags.

C-Products, ASC, E-Lander in order in the attached picture.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10908[/ATTACH]
                            Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                            My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Les
                              Warrior
                              • Oct 2016

That Sir is almost identical or looks real familiar to the problem I had with the brand new Elander 17 rd. mag from Alexander, also chopped off the polymer tips in the process. Guess I need to get out a small file.
                              Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

Working...
                              X