• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drillboss
    Warrior
    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Les View Post
    That Sir is almost identical or looks real familiar to the problem I had with the brand new Elander 17 rd. mag from Alexander, also chopped off the polymer tips in the process. Guess I need to get out a small file.
    Dremel tool works nicely. I was gonna mention this to you.

Comment

• Crusty
      Warrior
      • Dec 2017

I studied the differences between an ASC mag (which works but gouges my brass badly) and a C Products mag (which works the best of all my mags) and I noticed that the lips on the C Products mag are tapered slightly opening towards the bullet end and the ASC mag lips are roughly parallel to each other. I used a file and tapered the lips on an ASC mag to roughly match the C Products mag and now it feeds much better and doesn't gouge the brass. The slant is slight: from zero at the back end to 1/32" less at the front end, and then smooth all sharp edges. I also cleaned the front side guide lips up too.
      Last edited by Crusty; 01-30-2018, 11:03 PM.
      I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• Jmccracken
        Warrior
        • Dec 2017

every asc mag ive owned, ive had to file the front lip down. It was almost flush with the top when I got it, they wouldnt feed. Filed the front lip of the mag and never had a problem after.

I like my E-lander mags, but i get the asc, theyre cheaper and once the 5 min. of filing is done, theyre great.

Comment

• mdewitt71
          Warrior
          • Dec 2016

Bought a 3 pack of ASC mags when I built my rifle and I can say, I will never buy any more......

I am getting huge scratches in the brass.... from all 3 mags.
          My E-Landers are fine and have no issues but, of course I see the E-Landers have a nice powder coat painted finish and these ASCs do not.

I tried filing down the edges and still scraping the brass pretty good.
          I used magic marker to find where and it is not the front lip but both side curved feeding lips; all 3 mags.
          You can see right in the video posted above his green mag is doing the same thing as it scratches right infront of his thumb from the top curve. Mine are deep, you can feel em when you run your finger across the rounds.
          I will throw these mags is a ammo can for SHTF and stick with E-Landers from now on.
          Last edited by mdewitt71; 04-06-2018, 01:04 AM.
          ― George Orwell

Comment

• dammitman
            Warrior
            • Dec 2012

I have NO elanders that will fall when empty. they stick going in and wont fall out. I have many more than one ar15 to test with and its not the firearms. elanders suck

Comment

• Stony
              Unwashed
              • Apr 2018

I started a little experiment this evening with an ASC 5 round mag that is giving me problems. It seems like the spring is WAY too strong and just trying to unload the mag scratches the dickens out of a case and they just don't come out smoothly. I pulled the spring, and have never seen anything like it! It has a top like a normal mag spring, but the bottom part of it is like a collapsed spring that seems to serve as a stop for the follower. I tried cutting off 1/2 inch off the bottom of the collapsed portion, and now it seems to work much better...but I haven't fired it yet.
              I just don't think their mags need as much upward spring pressure as they have built into them....after all the spring just has to push the next round up into position.
              The mag now holds 6 rounds...was purchased as a 5 round....and only held 4 !
              Last edited by Stony; 04-18-2018, 12:33 AM. Reason: Ad a pic

Comment

• Trueblue
                Bloodstained
                • Mar 2018

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
                L52 explained how to polish the bbl. ext. He called it a meltdown. I did it on last 5 builds, Plus sanded and polished under the magazine lips - then run a Q tip over all to verify a snag free item.

Brass comes out scratch free.
                Can you post a link to this?

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Trueblue View Post
                  Can you post a link to this?

Take a look at this thread, I think it has the info you asked about polishing the barrel extension.

I got my Shilen barrel from Midway at the beginning of this week and eagerly I went ahead and finished my new AR. I loaded a few rounds in the mag and cycle them only to see them full of scratches after extracting them: If I drop the bullet into the chamber manually (not from the mag), let the bolt carrier close and extract

Comment

• Klem
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

Stony,

You probably know this but ASC '5-rd' mags use the same body as their '10-rd' mags. They compress the bottom coils so the mag is legal in States/Countries that dictate a 5rd mag limit. No doubt the reason for 5rd mags being slightly more expensive ($20) than their 10-rd mags ($18) is because they use more steel in the spring as a blocker. The fact you can tamper with these and turn them back into a '10-rd' mag is not their problem. They might even shrug this off with a smile.

You won't get 10 Grendel rounds into an ASC '10-rd' mag due to the height of the anti-tilt follower. By removing the spring completely and reconstructing the mag you can however confirm they fit a max of 9-rds. If you want a 9-rd mag copy the number of coils in this photo, cut and stretch them out evenly. Note the short curved tail at the bottom of the coil so it sits evenly across the bottom plate. It feeds fine.

You are right about ASC getting the round count wrong. I don't know why other than maybe they used a normal follower during testing. Or maybe the marketing department is in charge of the specs.

I prefer their '15-rd' mags which are the same size as the old .223 '20-rd' mags. They fit 14 Grendel rds but it's still short enough not to touch the bench when shooting from a rest or the ground when prone.

Last edited by Klem; 04-18-2018, 05:23 AM. Reason: second photo

Comment

• Stony
                      Unwashed
                      • Apr 2018

Klem....I agree with you completely on the 15 round mags as being a preferred size. I really am not hung up on getting a lot of cartridges in the mags, as I mostly use them for hunting and a lot of rounds is not a necessity for me. My only real concern is the force they use to push the rounds upward in the mag. Given the fact that the feed lips seem to almost dig into the brass combined with the force pushing the rounds up into them make for a very poor performance. I'll probably play around a little polishing the lips of the mags too and see if this combined with a softer spring pressure makes things better.
                      I shot my first hog with the Grendel the other night and love the round, the only problem I have run into is the quality and performance of the mags. I purchased the ASC's in 5 rd., 10 rd., and 15 rd., initially to play with.

Comment

• Tex Nomex
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2017

Pretty sure the ASCs are 6.8 SPC mags with a different follower. That's why they hold one fewer round and cut into the sides of the cases.
                        "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
                        -- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Comment

• Stony
                          Unwashed
                          • Apr 2018

Shot 3 hogs with my Grendel between yesterday morning and last night. The mag I altered is working just fine now. It loads up easily and rounds seem to slide out a lot easier. Feeding is not a problem. I guess maybe I'll have to play with some of my others and see if I can have the same success.

Comment

• Klem
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2013

Stony,

Excellent news (well, not for the hogs!).

Comment

• jdelong
                              Warrior
                              • Feb 2017

i ran all elander 17 rounders in a long range class with Hornady AG ammo and experienced multiple failures to feed. Upon examination, the followers seemed to stick and not apply enough upward pressure to load the next round. They also appeared to allow major forward (front end of bullet) tilt when banged on/around to see if I could get it to feed (tap bottom of mag on table). It ended up looking like someone randomly dumped ammo into the magazine. The mags are pretty dirty from running suppressed all the time; could this be the issue? They are less than a year old so I'd like to think the springs are not toast already. Anyone have experience getting replacement springs from elander? I switched to these from ASC since I had similar failures with those (frequently).

Comment

• VASCAR2
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2011

I’ve not experienced any issues with my E-Lander mags other than having very stiff springs when new. When I’ve had problems with my ASC mags I took them apart and cleaned them. I’ve not disassembled my E-Landers but in a sandy environment using a suppressor I’d take them apart and clean them. Inspect the weld points for failure and any rough or dented spots in the body. I’d also check the follower for excess molding/flashing which might impede function.

I don’t use any lube inside my mags as it can attract crap but I don’t live in a sandy enviroment. I’ve read where some people use dry lube inside the mag bodies.

Comment

Working...
                                X