If Howa REALLY wants to improve their Mini...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • adamjp
    Warrior
    • Oct 2014

There have been a few locally converted to BR based cartridges. If HOWA really wants to steal a march onthe competition, a Howa Mini Heavy barrel, 20in length, 1:8 twist, chambered for 6mm BR Norma and the DBM setup.

That would be a giant killing varmit rifle, casual target rifle and would work quite well in practical style competitions (modded factory magazine can just take 6). If you cut the bottom metal to the CDI type to use a 10rd AICS PMAG you would be very hard to beat for the price.

Comment

• jason miller
      Warrior
      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by adamjp View Post
      There is a great deal to be said for a Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel, BDL style aluminium (or even plastic) bottom 'metal' and magazine system, with the 20in featherweight barrel in an ultralight composite stock. Like the Howa Alpine Hunter, but without the ugly DBM and so light it just disappears on your shoulder.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10708[/ATTACH]

Fitted with Talleys and a nice compact 2-7 or 3-9 it would make an excellent scouting rifle or introductory rig for junior shooters / ladies / or recoil sensitive.

I could think about selling my custom made Zastava m85 for that kind of rifle (and it would go at a significant loss).
      I've been saying for awhile now that I wish they would offer these stocks for the Mini action. It's one of the best stocks on the market, factory OR aftermarket. Make mine a blind magazine with the mag box designed for the longest COAL that will reliably feed, standard 22" barrel for slightly better balance and a free 40-50 fps vs the lightweight 20", and it would be exactly what I'd imagine as THE perfect deer rifle.

To add, the standard 22" barrel is still a pretty thin contour. With the Hi-Tech/Bansner/whatever-they-call-it-now stock, it would probably be around 5.5 lbs. My .223 with the standard barrel is 5.75 lbs after I took a sander to the stock, and it's still probably not as light as a Hi Tech would be- or as rigid. A couple more ounces off the stock and another ounce and a half or so for the barrel having a .264" hole through it instead of a .224" one, and we'd have ourselves a Kimber Montana competitor.
      Last edited by jason miller; 01-07-2018, 08:17 AM.

Comment

• DRandi
        Bloodstained
        • Jul 2013

7 twist barrel for .223 caliber. Then it is somewhat future proof as Sierra just released a new 95 grain match king. 8 twist is only suitable for 77 grain and under. You can use 70-75 VLD bullets, but it’s a stretch in thicker air density’s.

2.400” magazine room so long high bc projectiles can be used, other wise no benift over AR.

10 round capacity magazine option for all calibers. Maybe out of the question, but a high quality metal magazine would be nice.

Re-engineer the mag release to be on the trigger guard like the regular rifles. Then you can use the mag in a improvised barricade stop situation if needed.

22” heavy barrel. Threaded is nice too.

Option for stripped receiver set for custom work.

I know it’s coming, but I want immediate gratification..... release of the mini chassis!!!!!

Yes I want to build one of these for a small action PRS type rifle. Howa mini with chassis chambered in .22 Grendel shooting the news Sierra 95 matchkings at 2900ish FPS....That blows my skirt up!!!

David
        A nice walk in the woods helps me relax and relieves tension....

The fact I'm dragging a shovel and a body should be irrelevant...

Comment

Working...
        X