• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Lab Radar USB Battery Pack

Looking for some info from those guys using Lab Radar and the battery pack.

The $30 battery pack sold by the manufacturer is a 10Ahr Lithium battery with two outputs; a 5V 1A and a 5V 2A.

1. Is this pack really needed? If you don't have it how quickly do the 6 internal AA batteries drain?
    2. What port is connected to the battery; is it the 1A or the 2A?

Thinking of building my own or just buying a cheaper no-name brand when the radar arrives (thanks Santa!)
  • bj139
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2017

You can use any USB power pack. I bought a few at Lowes and have seen really large ones at the grocery store.

Comment

• terrywick4
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

I purchased one on line for less than 10 bucks that is the same and I use the 1A on it. The 6 AA batteries lasted a while in mine until I forgot to take them out one time they were drained then next time I went to use them. (I store mine in a foam case and I suspect that the foam was on the power button??) the battery pack I purchased I charged one time and haven't recharged it yet. It always show half charge , even ehen it had a full charge.

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice.

Comment

• Younger
          Warrior
          • Dec 2012

I bought a 8000 mAh Lithium battery with two outputs; a 5V 1A and a 5V 2.1A. The battery pack has a charge tester that will indicate when to charge. I will not go back to using batteries in my Lab Radar.

Comment

• NugginFutz
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

I carry one of these in my vehicle wherever I go. It seems like it could very easily be used for what you need, Klem. It's also great for a jump start, when needed, as well a flash light. 4 USB power ports.

81lsuVS7sJL._SL1500_.jpg
            Includes a built in 2.1A USB OUT port that can be used to charge virtually any USB powered device, like a smartphone tablet, GPS and more. In addition, there is a 2.1A USB IN port that allows Boost to be recharged from any powered USB port, like a phone charger or laptop.
            If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
              I carry one of these in my vehicle wherever I go. It seems like it could very easily be used for what you need, Klem. It's also great for a jump start, when needed, as well a flash light. 4 USB power ports.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10684[/ATTACH]
              Good idea Nuggin....those USB outlets will be voltage-limited to 5V so no reason why it wouldn't work, and you've got the added use of the starter.

Comment

• dega37
                Bloodstained
                • Nov 2014

Yes definitely use a usb battery. The regular batteries die too quickly. You will also likely want to secure your battery via adhesive Velcro to the side of the unit

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                  Chieftain
                  • Oct 2016

The external pack has the added benefit of never being left in to corrode. Somehow every important device I own that uses batteries winds up with that one dang cell that leaks between uses...
                  Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• llamaboy
                    Unwashed
                    • Oct 2012

I bought the battery pack that comes with the radar, only to have another shooter tell me he bought his at a local big box store for about half the price. I also have 6 AA batteries in a zip lock bag for those times I forget to look at the battery level, only to have it run dry on me in the middle of a test. As I write this, I just realized that I can charge the battery in my truck as I drive to the range.

A couple of things about cold weather- All batteries drain faster the colder it gets. And something that is seldom mentioned is that Lab Radar will not work in temps lower than 15 degrees Farenheit. Puts a crimp on my style here in Mt.
                    Life is too short for cheap rifles, cheap bourbon, or cheap women.

Comment

Working...
                    X