• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wilecoyote
    Warrior
    • Jul 2013

More parts to try out

I finally found the trigger I prefer, so now it's on to other items.

My Grendel and other more precision rifles have PRS stocks. They work well and while they are heavy it doesn't bother me. This group of rifles is set up for bench or prone shooting for the most part. They also run standard rifle length buffers and springs.

In messing with my Creedmoor looking for more tuning in addition to the gas block, I thought about buffers. As a result I have a JP silent capture spring for it. If it quiets down as expected, then I am thinking one will go on my Grendel as well.

For even a little more tailoring, I also picked up an XLR Tactical AR stock. Looks good and has a lot of adjustability (even more than the PRS). From the specs, the XLR is a few ounces lighter. I currently have the Gen 2 PRS stocks, but this is even the case with the Gen 3.

Once I try it out on the Creedmoor, I'll more than likely put it on my Grendel as well (I have the carbine buffers for the platform) to see if it is another item that works better for me than the PRS.

Should have some info to post sometime this weekend.

Anyway, here's the new stock

20180105_102132.jpg
  • js8588
    Warrior
    • Jul 2017

Was just thinking of you today. Finally got around to installing the MBT on my trunk-gun build. I agree with you. Less than impressed. The Ruger 452 Elite (got one for like, $90 shipped) is a smoother trigger. Oh, well. The Larue will do fine for this build.

Definitely grabbing a second Triggertech for my 2nd Grendel build. Probably the black PVD straight trigger.

Comment

• wilecoyote
      Warrior
      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by js8588 View Post
      Was just thinking of you today. Finally got around to installing the MBT on my trunk-gun build. I agree with you. Less than impressed. The Ruger 452 Elite (got one for like, $90 shipped) is a smoother trigger. Oh, well. The Larue will do fine for this build.

Definitely grabbing a second Triggertech for my 2nd Grendel build. Probably the black PVD straight trigger.
      Hey,

I've been busy with work and getting parts together for my two builds I have going. The MBT isn't bad, just not on par with others. Actually saw a comment stating it was as good or better than most that cost two to three times the price. I agree it may be better than some, but not most. My reviews on LaRue's website saying it was just OK and a good $100 trigger were censored. The first never saw the light of day. The second was shown online for about two hours and was promptly removed. Guess the "three out of five dillo" rating and mentioning a long pull and gritty reset was not what LaRue wanted to be stated... only that the MBT is greater than sliced bread is allowed. Hahaha...

I'd use another in my latest carbine, but that's a really short distance build. The other longer range I'm going with another Triggertech. I may go with the adjustable this time though.

Post some info on your new project, sounds interesting.
      Last edited by wilecoyote; 01-05-2018, 11:49 PM. Reason: Fixing spelling

Comment

• js8588
        Warrior
        • Jul 2017

Originally posted by wilecoyote View Post
        Hey,

I've been busy with work and getting parts together for my two builds I have going. The MBT isn't bad, just not on par with others. Actually saw a comment stating it was as good or better than most that cost two to three times the price. I agree it may be better than some, but not most. My reviews on LaRue's website saying it was just OK and a good $100 trigger were censored. The first never saw the light of day. The second was shown online for about two hours and was promptly removed. Guess the "three out of five dillo" rating and mentioning a long pull and gritty reset was not what LaRue wanted to be stated... only that the MBT is greater than sliced bread is allowed. Hahaha...

I'd use another in my latest carbine, but that's a really short distance build. The other longer range I'm going with another Triggertech. I may go with the adjustable this time though.

Post some info on your new project, sounds interesting.
        You mean you have a life outside of posting on gun forums? Perish the thought!

I would say the LaRue is as good as (maybe not quite as smooth, but it breaks cleaner) the Geissele SD-E...which for me, is to say "meh". I'd give it a 4/5 for value. It will do what I need it to do with an irons-only 556 chambered CHF 1/7 twist barrel (18 inch S2W Daniel Defense mid-gas).

My 2nd Grendel project (and I'm still working on the 1st...my how these things multiply) is pretty far from the top of my priorities list.

So far I have:
        Seekins Precision SP223 ambi lower
        Hexmag Overmolded Grip
        15 inch (really a 16.5 inch because of the slant) Diamondhead VRS-T Handguard
        White Oak Armament rifle buffer tube
        BAD ASS lightweight ambi safety (really just to aesthetically match the lower)
        LAR-Grizzly NIB side charging bolt carrier
        Might use the Truss trigger on this one (again, aesthetics) and use the black PVD Triggertech straight trigger over on my RECCE. Buy parts for one build, they end up on another. Big boy legos.

As for the rest I have sort of sketched out mentally
        Eisenach Arms side charging upper
        Rainier Arms Avalanche Ambi charging handle
        JP SCS buffer (maybe)
        Cobalt Kinetics Billet fixed stock
        Probably an AFAB flash comp

Still up in the air on barrel choice. Leaning towards the Proof Research stainless (non CF) barrel but could conceivably end up using a Faxon fluted (not overly impressed with accuracy reports on them so far), or if LaRue decides to sell us Grendel barrels, maybe one of them (he knows how to make barrels that shoot, no doubt).

Sights? Scope? Idk. Ask me again in the summer.

Now that I've accidentally threadjacked...

Comment

• wilecoyote
          Warrior
          • Jul 2013

No man no worries... sounds like a good project. You should be happy with the Seekins lower. My Grendel is that lower with the IRMT-V3 upper. Been really nice and are my keepers. I have the Raptor charging handle. I'll be interested to see how you like the avalanche.

I went big bore and got a 458 SOCOM build going. Then I stupidly started another large frame build because I liked the looks of performance of the 6mm Creedmoor. Down to the barrel for the 458 and an Aimpoint pro for. Still need a rail, barrel and optic for the 6mm. Not sure on the barrel, the rail probably SLR again. Optic, I'll probably move the Steiner on my 6.5 Creedmoor to it and go with more power on the 6.5.

The life outside shooting, that's not much. Mostly work. Got stuck having to get the front brakes done on one of my cars... that cost me, but I want all the service records on file with the dealer so...

Comment

• js8588
            Warrior
            • Jul 2017

Oh, good. I'm not the only nutjob that gets into cartridges because I like the way they look (coupled with performance, of course). The 6mm Creedmoor is such a pretty little, well balanced looking round with specs to match.

I'm toying between 6.5 Creed, the 6mm, or, and this is really the performance envelope my hunting system is missing, the 6.5 PRC.

Comment

• js8588
              Warrior
              • Jul 2017

I also have my eye on a big bore AR. Namely, this http://www.bighornarmory.com/catalog...0-auto-mag-16/

Comment

• Sticks
                Chieftain
                • Dec 2016

Originally posted by wilecoyote View Post
                ...My Grendel and other more precision rifles have PRS stocks. They work well and while they are heavy it doesn't bother me. This group of rifles is set up for bench or prone shooting for the most part. They also run standard rifle length buffers and springs.

For even a little more tailoring, I also picked up an XLR Tactical AR stock. Looks good and has a lot of adjustability (even more than the PRS). From the specs, the XLR is a few ounces lighter. I currently have the Gen 2 PRS stocks, but this is even the case with the Gen 3.

Once I try it out on the Creedmoor, I'll more than likely put it on my Grendel as well (I have the carbine buffers for the platform) to see if it is another item that works better for me than the PRS.

Should have some info to post sometime this weekend.

Anyway, here's the new stock

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10693[/ATTACH]
                That almost looks like a Odin Works Zulu stock with a cheek riser. If only Odin had done the cheek thing too, at least as an option.

Let me know if you are going to release a PRS.
                Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• wilecoyote
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2013

Originally posted by js8588 View Post
                  I also have my eye on a big bore AR. Namely, this http://www.bighornarmory.com/catalog...0-auto-mag-16/
                  That's bigbore alright hahaha.

The 6mm just seems pretty interesting. I have one AR10 (DPMS) pattern. That's the 6.5 Creedmoor amd I really like that cartridge. Another in 6mm seemed to fit. Only problem is they mildly cost. The optics of course cost, so that alone is another couple grand out the door. Oh well, at least I'll have it in my collection and enjoy it. Would have already had it, but those damn brakes tapped me for close to $1500.

Comment

• wilecoyote
                    Warrior
                    • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                    That almost looks like a Odin Works Zulu stock with a cheek riser. If only Odin had done the cheek thing too, at least as an option.

Let me know if you are going to release a PRS.
                    Will do, I may end up with two, but we'll see.

Comment

• wilecoyote
                      Warrior
                      • Jul 2013

Here's the before and after of the new stock on my Creedmoor. Initial just mounting, the stock feels good. I'll have to get a range trip in, but so far so good. I'm really kind of liking the XLR.

Solid and easy to repeat position for clear sight picture. The monopod shown with the PRS is no longer, I prefer a bag. The sunshade is also removed with the XLR.

Before (with the PRS)
                      20170923_193616-1-1-1.jpg

After (with XLR)
                      20180106_153126-1.jpg

Comment

• blackholegun
                        Bloodstained
                        • Oct 2017

Nice looking gun, what flavor barrel is that.
                        Those XLR stocks are something I have on my wish list
                        Everything I enjoy doing is either illegal, immoral or, just to damn expensive

Comment

• wilecoyote
                          Warrior
                          • Jul 2013

The barrel is a Rainer Arms Ultramatch 22". Been excellent so far.

Comment

• wilecoyote
                            Warrior
                            • Jul 2013

Ok,

Just got back from the range. Still have some tinkering to do with the gas on that rifle. No big deal...

The stock is awesome. I really like the setup. Could use a little more tweaking, but nothing that would detract from my opinion. That's all on me. The stock is solid and comfortable. Placement was easy and repeatable. There isn't much recoil on that Creedmoor to begin with, but pad cancels the little that remained right out.

The JP Silent Capture Spring was great to. Silent and smooth.

Would I buy another of either? Yes, in fact I'm planning on it.

Comment

• Crusty
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2017

I liked the JP Captured Spring too but being retired on a budget the cost was just too much for me. I learned about the Armaspec Stealth Captured Spring at less than half price of the JP and bought one, and after around 500 rds on it I like it a lot. I don't even notice the recoil, there's zero noise, my muzzle stays near the target after a shot and it eliminates carrier drag during cycling. It was one of the items which helped to solve my extraction/ejections problems along with an adjustable gas block. I also like not having to remove the buffer stop detent to install it. It took me just a few minutes to learn to pull the handle all the way back when manually cycling the action.
                              I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

Working...
                              X