• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brut28481
    Warrior
    • Mar 2016

6.5 Grendel Group Buy Bolt 1/ Barrel Extension 0

Blew my Lilja AR24 barrel extensions to pieces today. Bolt blew apart a few weeks ago so maybe it did some damage to the barrel extension? Seems very odd, thoughts?

• dtdraffen
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2017

Ouch!
    Wow never seen that happen..
    Sorry for what happen to you

Comment

• StoneHendge
      Chieftain
      • May 2016

Crikey. What were you putting in there?
      Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• brut28481
        Warrior
        • Mar 2016

Aren't 6.5 Grr & Creed interchangeable? It was hard to load but I just kept mashing the forward assist with a hammer......

Comment

• brut28481
          Warrior
          • Mar 2016

107 SMK/29.5gr XBR8208 @ 2700

Comment

• Kswhitetails
            Chieftain
            • Oct 2016

Crikey Jimmy, that looks like a winner! Hope you have clean pants on.
            Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
              Administrator
              • Feb 2011

Dang, dude! Whoa.

Any theories as to what's wrong?
              :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                Chieftain
                • Oct 2016

That made a mess. What happened when it failed. Looks like the extension sheared off all the way around just in front of the lugs? Did it come off in a ring? Upper damage? How’s the bolt look now? Ha. You’ve gotten me curious!
                Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• brut28481
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2016

Casualty list: ASC 20rd mag (feed lip ripped off), BCM Gunfighter charging handle (probably saved my face) latch handle sheared off, VLTOR MUR Upper - various gashes/chunks in carrier raceway, Group Buy Grendel bolt extractor (rest of bolt looks great - BFT - awesome piece), Front take down pin bent. Everything else is pretty much fine. Pics of bolt below.

My going theory is the barrel extension or factory bolt (Headspace) was out of square to the barrel. Receiver was lapped, barrel bedded, so somewhat confident of trueness of those faces. The factory bolt from Lilja broke a few weeks ago (Hence grendel group buy bolt replacement). Those bolt lugs showed some heavier wear on one side. I'm guessing the factory bolt went first and probably had caused some damage to barrel extension (or maybe the bolt was working one side of extension and causing fractures??). Had probably 800 +/- Rds on it. When I replaced with new bolt (has not shown any unusual wear as of d-day) the extension finally gave up. Of course a hot load could have helped further the cause. However, since my bolt failure I have been trimming, inspection, hand throwing & chronoing (magnetospeed) every batch of ammo. All lapua brass which has shown no pressure signs. I shoot PRS and handload all my dasher/creed rounds so feel somewhat confident my loads didn't get squirrely. D-Day happened on probably the 25th or so round of the day during a PRS practice running strings off a cattle gate. Suppressed Grendel out to 840yds for PRS practice is a blast BTW! So definitely bummed the rig is down. I have contacted Lilja to send the barrel back. My local smith didn't want to mess with it...... What you think? Sound probable? What else could I be missing? The hot load theory always comes up but I would assume the bolt would give before the extension??

Last edited by brut28481; 01-06-2018, 03:19 AM.

Comment

• Klem
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

Woah, hope you're OK. Nothing in your eyes?

Your load is hot, but not by much. I load no more than 28.5/8208 with the 107SMK. It's not going to be the suppressor because by the time the bullet gets to it the peak pressure has dropped dramatically. Your earlier damaged bolt is too much of a coincidence to ignore. It sounds like either that first bolt was faulty and caused stress in the extension which took a few more rounds to fail, or as you say, the extension was faulty and this damaged the first bolt, and eventually failed completely.

Comment

• 37L1
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2015

WOW! That'll wake you up!

Comment

• zcostilla
                        Warrior
                        • Aug 2017

I hope first of all that you didn’t sustain any injuries. I knew an Air Force CATM Instructor who had to have reconstructive surgery after an M-60 cover blew off in her face. They did a good job, as I wouldn’t have known if she didn’t use it as an instruction lesson prior to our range time. Just as we should never take firearm safety for granted, we should never forget that a malfunction could turn hazardous to one’s health. So hopefully you’re safe and sound, even though your weapon is not.

And here’s to getting it up and running soon. I don’t have enough expertise to weigh in hear, other than to agree that the thoughts postulated so far seem very plausible.
                        -Zac

Husband, Father, Veteran. Grateful for my redemption.

Comment

• Lastrites
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2017

Oh my that extension looks like it's got a ring of Playdough on it. Are you really sure you trued the face of receiver or exacerbated it with the hand held truing device? Will say I never had complete faith these hand held truing devices and have sent a couple of receivers to a machinist who trues them on a lathe turned on a mandrel to within .001 inch to help insure that your sights will zero near the midpoint of their adjustment range for about $10.

Comment

• brut28481
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2016

Very possible. I used the wheeler engineering receiver lapping tool. I'm going to replace it with a mega upper and skip the truing process.

Comment

• just_john
                              Chieftain
                              • Sep 2012

Brut,.when you tried the receiver, was it mounted horizontally or vertically? Also, is it conceivable that the bolt was not completely "home" when the hammer fell? Just curious.

Comment

Working...
                              X