Clear All
  • lrgrendel
    Warrior
    • Jul 2013

Forster Co Ax and 5.56/223 stuck cases

• rwh
    Warrior
    • Jun 2014

I have a coax and use the small shell holder with 223. Is one of the lubes you tried imperial sizing wax? It's more work to put on and take off but it has never failed me.

Comment

• DRandi
      Bloodstained
      • Jul 2013

A nice walk in the woods helps me relax and relieves tension....

The fact I'm dragging a shovel and a body should be irrelevant...

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

I cook my own case lube with pure lanolin and 99% isopropyl alcohol in a 9:1 ratio (90% alcohol, 10% Lanolin). Alcohol evaps pretty quick and the lanolin stays as a thin lube. If you like your calluses on your hands, wear some nitrile or latex gloves while sizing else you will have hands that will make your wife/significant other jealous.

1 gallon freezer bag 2/3 full, 10-12 pumps from a spray bottle, close the bag and roll it around for about a minute. Second and consecutive run with the same bag will only need 8-10 pumps.

Never had a stuck case in Lee, Hornady, Dillon or Redding dies. Not even a sticky one.
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• DRandi
          Bloodstained
          • Jul 2013

I’ve read about using lanolin before. Might give it a whirl. Got a brand you recommend? Going to mix mine with Hexane.

David
          A nice walk in the woods helps me relax and relieves tension....

The fact I'm dragging a shovel and a body should be irrelevant...

Comment

• LR1955
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by lrgrendel View Post
            Not grendel related so feel free to delete!

Getting really p@#$&d off. Have had 3 stuck cases in last couple of months.
            Tried 2 different lubes.

Who has the Co Ax and are you using the large or small shell holder?

I’m an expert now at stuck case remover, feel free to send me your dies and I’ll do it for free!!!
            Never had a case stuck with a Co Ax using the right size shell holder which I believe is the small one on the Co Ax.

However, it isn't the press and most likely isn't the shell holder.

It most likely is either the die or that you aren't getting a quality lube inside the necks of the brass.

1. Make sure your decapping assy is seated deeply enough so the expander button goes completely through the neck and into the case.

2. Get a quality lube inside the necks as well as the outside. Never stuck a case with Dillon Spray Lube.

3. Spray some lube into the die so it coats the inside of the die and the expander button.

4. Use the correct size shell holder!

If you stick another one, you need to measure the expander button to make sure it is the right size. If my procedure doesn't work, you have a seriously screwed up die for some reason. Not a Lee by any chance?

LR55

Comment

• Sticks
              Chieftain
              • Dec 2016

Originally posted by DRandi View Post
              I’ve read about using lanolin before. Might give it a whirl. Got a brand you recommend? Going to mix mine with Hexane.

David
              Lifetime supply of case lube for $20. I've sized over 7k pieces of rifle brass (5.56 and 6.5) and I am only 1/3 through my first bottle using a RCBS case lube spray bottle (crappy lube, good bottle)

https://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Solutions-Liquid-Lanolin/

https://www.amazon.com/Swan-Isopropyl-Alcohol-99-Pint

Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• lrgrendel
                Warrior
                • Jul 2013

All good info guys. Thanks.
                No not a Lee!! But is one of the cheaper ones!!!

Too lazy to make my own lube! I neck size only most of my calibers so I will stick with the factory stuff.

Saying all that though. Didn’t have an issue when I used this die on my OTHER TRADITIONAL single stage press WITH ITS OWN DEDICATED 223 SHELL HOLDER

EDITED
                Last edited by lrgrendel; 01-10-2018, 12:52 PM.

Comment

• Bobke
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2015

One further suggestion-I use a couple of quick dips in Imperial Dry Neck Lube and Imperial Sizing Wax on exterior, and have never had an issue when using both, in either Rock Chucker or CoAx. The dry neck lube is assurance of frictionless exit from neck, assuring even neck tension. Especially helpful after annealing cases.
                  Last edited by Bobke; 01-07-2018, 03:44 PM.

Comment

• centerfire
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2017

There are two types of One-Shot user: Those that have had stuck cases and those that will have stuck cases. The two primary causes of stuck cases are not using enough lube and not letting the emulsifier evaporate. The lubricant in One-Shot isn't effective while the alcohol is still mixed in so if you don't let it rest after spray/tumbling you can get some hard sizing cases. Lanolin and 99% alcohol mixed lube is more reliable because you can control the lubricant content and the emulsifier flashes off faster. I use cheap lanolin from Amazon, a $2 spray bottle from Home Depot, and a $3 bottle of Heat from the local Kroger chain. I have a 10 year supply of case lube for less than $20. I still use One-Shot for randomly lubing Dillon dies if they get sticky.

Comment

• LR1955
                      Super Moderator
                      • Mar 2011

Too lazy to make my own lube! I neck size only most of my calibers so I will stick with the factory stuff.

Saying all that though. Didn’t have an issue when I used this die on my single stage press.
                      LRG:

A Co Ax is a single stage press and the press has nothing to do with a piece of brass getting stuck in the die.

Remember that the Co Ax is of different dimensions than other presses so do make sure the die fits the Co Ax. I believe I have to screw my dies in deeper for the Co Ax compared to the T-7 (?).

I like having a little bit of play with the locking ring and the Co Ax so the die floats a little bit. If you have your die locked down in the press, that too could be part of it but I doubt it is the real issue.

The problem seems to be you using the large side of the shell holder assembly for 5.56 which is too big. Take the five minutes to turn the thing around and use the right side of the shell holder. Set your die for the Co Ax, lube properly and it will work.

LR55

Comment

• Mytie
                        Unwashed
                        • Jul 2017

Are you trying to resize Aguila brass? That’s the worst brass in my opinion. I’ve got several of those stuck. The rim is to weak they keep breaking on me. I use both imperial wax and homemade Lanolin and Alcohol mixed lube.
                        Last edited by Mytie; 01-08-2018, 10:30 PM.

Comment

• bj139
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2017

Saying all that though. Didn’t have an issue when I used this die on my single stage press.
                          What brand of die is it? With Lee dies a stuck case is easy to remove. Lee even describes how to do it.

I use this lube. I have not had a stuck case with it although I have with Hornady One Shot for the reasons others have stated.
                          Let One Shot dry before sizing.

Comment

• Mad Charlie
                            Warrior
                            • May 2017

Originally posted by centerfire View Post
                            There are two types of One-Shot user: Those that have had stuck cases and those that will have stuck cases. The two primary causes of stuck cases are not using enough lube and not letting the emulsifier evaporate. The lubricant in One-Shot isn't effective while the alcohol is still mixed in so if you don't let it rest after spray/tumbling you can get some hard sizing cases. Lanolin and 99% alcohol mixed lube is more reliable because you can control the lubricant content and the emulsifier flashes off faster. I use cheap lanolin from Amazon, a $2 spray bottle from Home Depot, and a $3 bottle of Heat from the local Kroger chain. I have a 10 year supply of case lube for less than $20. I still use One-Shot for randomly lubing Dillon dies if they get sticky.
                            What he said.

Comment

• lrgrendel
                              Warrior
                              • Jul 2013

It was never a lube issue as I never had a problem using my “other” single stage press with a dedicated 223 shell holder.
                              By using the small shell holder only, on the Co Ax, has taken care of the problem.

I’m not using Aguila brass.

Used Hornady spray lube for years, never had a problem. Will continue to use it.
                              Also use Forster lube for my precision stuff.....

Comment

Working...
                              X