X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mad Charlie
    Warrior
    • May 2017

I have found the Forster lube to be Very Good Stuff, most of the time I use Imperial though because it always works for me, and I have a couple cans of it.
    Another great case lube is Royal Case and Die lube, between these three if a case sticks, then it is a die problem.

Comment

• DRandi
      Bloodstained
      • Jul 2013

Well I did the Lanolin/Hexane case lube thing this weekend...... dam!!! Works pretty awesome. I mixed mine 15% liquid Lanolin and 85% Hexane.

To really test how well it works I took some .270 Winchester brass and resized it into .308 cases. Worked great. Also cause it disolves with Hexane very well it was a simple wash to get the lube back out of the case necks. Have to wipe, wipe, wipe Imperal wax. Imperial wax will dissolve out eventually, but is a hassle because it’s more viscous.

Had better shoulder bump control with the Lanolin lube.
      Imperial wax is about .002”-.0025” thickness. So when I measure a dry case with my comparator, .002”-.0025” is how much space the wax occupys in the sizing die shoulder area. Yes I can get it down to just .001” thickness for sizing, just not consistently. With the Lanolin mix that number drops to .001”-.0015” consistently.

***Hexane is a industrial solvent like brake clean, only no other stinky additives like brake clean. Stuff is awesome. Evaporates very very fast and leaves no residue behind. That and I have it by the 55 gallon drum at work.

David.
      Last edited by DRandi; 01-22-2018, 12:21 AM.
      A nice walk in the woods helps me relax and relieves tension....

The fact I'm dragging a shovel and a body should be irrelevant...

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

Read the SDS on the Hexane. I'll stick with 99% Isopropyl Alcohol.
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• DRandi
          Bloodstained
          • Jul 2013

I have and I have also used it for over a decade, work in a industrial shop. Hexane is less toxic than isopropyl alcohol. Hexane toxicology, 25,000 mg/kg over 4 your exposure for acute symptoms. Isopropyl alcohol toxicology 5045 mg/kg over 4 hour exposure for acute symptoms. It takes 4.9 times more exposure to Hexane in the same time period for acute symptoms than isopropyl alcohol.

Puttning in context, I will be exposed to more harmful compounds and in a greater volume with shooting just 10 rounds out of AR, lead vapor, carcinogens, mercury vapors, than a whole loading session with my Hexane Lanolin mix. To size 50 rounds of .308 brass I think I used a soda bottle cap full.

Isopropyl Aclohol: http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9924412
          Hexane: http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927187

edit: I know earlier I said it’s brake parts cleaner, it is. This is industrial brake parts cleaner, not the “shit” brake parts cleaner sold at Auto-Zone or O’Rielys. That stuff has all kinds of extra noxious additives.
          Last edited by DRandi; 01-22-2018, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• DRandi
            Bloodstained
            • Jul 2013

Now if I had to buy Hexane over the counter, heck no. I’d be using Isopropyl Alcohol too. What’s a bottle 90% isopropyl alcohol cost at CVS, $1.50 for 20oz. That same amount would be $20.00 for Hexane.

Comment

• DRandi
              Bloodstained
              • Jul 2013

Juts for giggles here's the actual SDS for what I'm using.

Comment

Working...
              X