• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jbjayzon
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2015

First COMPLETE build

Attempting to build a lightweight hunting grendel. Here's what I have.

Anderson lower
    LAR ops side charge upper
    Minimalist stock
    Alg defense emr vo-e handguard.

My question: is the alexander arms 18" lite barrel the best I can do for what I'm aiming for, at a 200.00 price point?
    Last edited by Jbjayzon; 01-07-2018, 12:55 AM.
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

The group buy barrels are good.

Comment

• Bigs28
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2016

The group buy barrels are good. http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...-S-amp-H-37-50

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

The Alexander Arms 18” 416R Stainless Steel barrels get very good reviews. The AA barrel uses traditional land and grooves which shoot the bimetal bullets from Wolf steel cased ammo better than the 5R EE Faxon group buy barrel. An advantage of the Group Buy Faxon barrel is the QPQ treated 4150 CMV with 5/8X24 threaded muzzle. I have no proof but I suspect the Faxon QPQ 4150 barrel will last longer than a SS 416R barrel. The 5/8X24 is more commonly used thread pitch on 7.62X51/308 barrels. The availability of muzzle devices and suppressors are more readily available for 5/8X24 thread than the 9/16X24 thread pitch used on the AA barrel. The AA barrel is 1:7.5 twist and the Faxon barrel is 1:8 twist.

The AA 18” fluted barrel’s weight is listed as 1.85 pounds or 29.6 ounces.
        The Faxon 18” Group buy barrel is 2 pounds 1.19 ounces or 33.9 ounces

For me I would decide if I wanted to shoot Wolf Steel Cased ammo and whether the 9/16X24 thread pitch made any difference. I considered buying an AA 18” barrel but decided to go with the Faxon Group buy barrel. I have 29 rounds through my Faxon 18” barrel and I’m completely satisfied. Prices are very close to being the same between AA and the GB Faxon barrel.

I have a J&T Distributing 16” 6.5 Grendel barrel with 9/16X24 thread which is non issue for me as I live in Illinois and can’t own a suppressor. My barrel/upper was supplied with a Phantom Flash Hider. Op just needs to decide which barrel he prefer, IMHO either are gtg.
        Last edited by VASCAR2; 01-07-2018, 02:43 PM.

Comment

• zcostilla
          Warrior
          • Aug 2017

If you’re budget conscious, Bear Creek Arsenal has nitride treated barrels at a GREAT price point. Waiting for the winter chill to warm up out of the single digits (and for LaRue to get my backordered magazine in) before trying out my Black Friday special ($69 for an 18” nitride barrel). All their barrels are air gauged for accuracy in machining.

Shop our selection AR-15 barrels! All our high-quality AR15 barrels are made for precision and durability. Shop today and save today at Bear Creek Arsenal!
          -Zac

Husband, Father, Veteran. Grateful for my redemption.

Comment

• Jbjayzon
            Bloodstained
            • Nov 2015

Ok guys, thanks for the input. Decided to go with the AA barrel. Weight is a big factor for me. And I am only going with a thread protector on the muzzle, I also like the wolf ammo.

I am at 3lbs 11 oz as pictured. I am leaning tword the vortex hog hunter scope mainly because of size and the v brite reticle. I like the solitary red dot. I would like just a dot and nothing else if I could find one that was a 3-12 power. Any suggestions?. Ok sorry, no pic. I hate loading pics here. Anyway everything but the barrel , optic and handg uard at that weight
            Last edited by Jbjayzon; 01-08-2018, 03:06 AM.

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
              Warrior
              • Feb 2017

I have the AA 16" it comes in at 1.74 Lbs. and shoots great.

Comment

• Bigs28
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2016

Leopold makes a bunch of optics with different reticles that have a single illuminated dot in the center. Their are still crosshairs but the dot is the only thing illuminated.

Comment

• Jbjayzon
                  Bloodstained
                  • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Bigs28 View Post
                  Leopold makes a bunch of optics with different reticles that have a single illuminated dot in the center. Their are still crosshairs but the dot is the only thing illuminated.
                  I checked them out but they are a bit out of my range , but thank you it is what I am looking g for.

Comment

• Jbjayzon
                    Bloodstained
                    • Nov 2015

Ordered the AA 18" yesterday and got an email from ups saying it should be here thurs. Nice!!.

Comment

• Jbjayzon
                      Bloodstained
                      • Nov 2015

Got the barrel and alg handguard today. Everything appears as it should . Had some trouble with the hanguard anti-rotation tabs. The LAR ops side charging upper i chose was a little to beefy and the tabs wouldnt slide over it. Had to modify the tabs slightly with a dremel. But it worked out. Pics soon. Thanks for the input so far!!

Comment

• bj139
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2017

I believe it has been quite some time since the group buy barrels were 4150 CMV.
                        I think all the latest ones are 416 SS. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                          I believe it has been quite some time since the group buy barrels were 4150 CMV.
                          I think all the latest ones are 416 SS. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Your right, when the 18” GB was intially started it was to use CMV but then they changed to 416R. My 16” Faxon GB is 4150 CMV.

Here is the thread post where BFT noted the change. Old age strikes again I forgot about the change. The appearence of the 16” Faxon and 18” Faxon are very similar.

“UPDATE: These will be 416R stainless with QPQ melonite, and not 4150 CMV. Price will not change.

The 12 and 16 lengths will remain 4150 CMV with QPQ melonite, as I consider them a tactical barrel, where guys might want to shoot them hot and hard.

I see the 18 and 20 as accuracy and hunting barrels, where the precision of stainless gives a theoretical accuracy advantage. Note, however, that with the addition of QPQ melonite on these stainless barrels the durability will also be excellent.”

Comment

• Jbjayzon
                            Bloodstained
                            • Nov 2015

20180112_125328.jpg20180112_125341.jpggr1.jpg 6 lbs as it is right now, a little heavier than i wanted but not bad for what i have into it money wise.
                            Last edited by Jbjayzon; 01-12-2018, 06:25 PM.

Comment

• Tex Nomex
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2017

6 lbs 1 oz is still quite light, considering the LAR upper and its extra-heavy BCG. That, plus the 18" barrel... That's a good pre-optic weight.
                              "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
                              -- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Comment

Working...
                              X