• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Princess_Jamie
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2017

Rebel SOS cans

My FFL has become a dealer for Rebel SOS products. Does anyone have any experience with these on the 6.5G?
  • sneaky one
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

No experience, but after checking them out online, -for $249 for the Hunter model, Sign me up! Good find !

Let's both of us run this by BFT- see if they would help the forum out with a group buy pricing.
    Last edited by sneaky one; 01-09-2018, 11:11 PM.

Comment

• Princess_Jamie
      Bloodstained
      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
      No experience, but after checking them out online, -for $249 for the Hunter model, Sign me up! Good find !

Let's both of us run this by BFT- see if they would help the forum out with a group buy pricing.
      Yes I agree

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

Well, we'll get user reports in about a year.
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2013

The price is outstanding. Looking at the specs, what I see for the .30 cal is a very long (10"), lightwight (11 oz) suppressor that is moderately effective (only 25 db noise reduction), with a multi part modular design which allows for easy cleaning, not that I have ever needed to clean my 30 cal suppressors previously, but being cleanable means you can use it with rimfire guns as well.

The price is right, but as with the example they show, reducing the noise level to 141 db, that is not hearing safe.
          Kill a hog. Save the planet.
          My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• sneaky one
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

DNS-Yeah, it's maybe just a start point for them. How much reduction do you get with your gun muffler?

I want one just to take the edge off of a shot while deer hunting, Not sure if I will ever be a nightly Terminator like you are.

I think 87 db. is the max. allowable in a work place without hearing protection. So 141 still is pretty high.

Sticks, that long till on market?

Comment

• SDet
              Bloodstained
              • Sep 2016

For comparison, my ultra 7 is 34db reduction or so, and only 7" long.

87 DB is 8 hour exposure, 140 is max impact. There's a curve with time to damage at different DB levels.

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

SD, what was the price of it?

Maybe Rebel can learn - adapt from this good feedback. Still a great find P Jamie.

Maybe 1 more baffle inside would bring db. down some more.
                Last edited by sneaky one; 01-11-2018, 12:39 AM.

Comment

• SDet
                  Bloodstained
                  • Sep 2016

Ultra 7s are $1100. So yes, a fair bit more. Good number of cans around $500 that will get around 30db reduction and be 7 or 8". 10" is a long can. And do you really want to wait 6-12 months for something that's only okay?

Comment

• sneaky one
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Other alternative is a camo, or Blaze orange -boonie cap, hat from L-52 for use with electronic ear muffs. Combined together to keep ears okay, from sounds and temps ,,, hmmmm.

Check it out, plus no legalities involved- no stamps, etc.

Just another choice...

Comment

• Klem
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

I have some experience with an equivalent design in New Zealand.

The modular Rebel design is similar to a design that has been selling out of New Zealand and the UK for about five years.
                      These are the same as they standard light weight modular but they come with a stainless steel blast baffle for a prolonged life

Given the State Department ITAR restrictions no suppressors from outside the States get in and no suppressors from within get out. This means the US market for suppressors is a closed shop and has developed independently from the rest of the world.

The Rebel SOS counters the abrasive wear on aluminium by swaging a steel section near the centre hole. The NZ suppressor has a modular segment that is entirely made from stainless steel designed to be the first segment fitted closest to the muzzle. They both do the same thing to increase the life of the suppressor while keeping the weight down. While stainless steel weighs twice as much as aluminium it's harder wearing and takes the brunt of the blast and pressure. Both the Rebel and the NZ designs weigh about the same as a titanium suppressor but are much cheaper. They are not however full-auto rated.

The modular design makes for easy cleaning in a standard size ultrasonic bath. The one in the picture has a 5" over-barrel section;

The segments do not come apart while shooting if you are worried about that. Quite the opposite, they carbon-up and bind. This makes it hard to unscrew them afterwards. The NZ designers sell a purpose wrench to help here but a couple of wood chocks drilled with a hole saw works just as well. That said, if you crack them loose by hand after every session and keep the threads greased you won't need it;

Adding segments makes it quieter but frankly after 6 the reduction of extra segments is barely noticeable to the human ear (with muffs on). Also the cumulative effects of machining run-out start to make adding segments more risky of baffle strike. The NZ manufacturer recommends limits to the number of segments. The Rebel design segments look a little wider than the NZ design.

The NZ version works and seems as quiet as any suppressor I have used. I say seems as I don't have a sound meter and am sceptical of manufacturer claims to sound reduction. I have yet to see an objective comparison between manufacturers under the same conditions. The videos on Rebel's website are interesting and go a long way to convincing me how efficient these devices are. Also we need to be mindful that the Decibel scale is logarithmic, not linear. By that I mean a 25db reduction from a peak of 167db is not a 15% reduction in sound (that would be linear). It is much more. Arriving at 141db is a fair reduction but is still not hearing safe. But then no manufacturer in the world makes a high-power, centre-fire suppressor that is 'hearing safe'. 'hearing safe' is also dependent on whether we are talking about low db's over an extended period or higher db's over a short time. All high-power suppressors are around the 130db+ mark which even in short impulses like rifle shooting is still dangerous to unprotected hearing.

The US paperwork and time delay requirements shave a little of the modular utility off this stacked design. As I understand it once you get your licenced suppressor you cannot simply buy replacement segments without starting the whole process again, yes? I suspect they want another $200 tax as well. In NZ you can buy suppressors and replacement segments whenever you like without the government getting involved. This enhances the benefits of a modular design.
                      Last edited by Klem; 01-17-2018, 01:17 AM.

Comment

• scroder
                        Unwashed
                        • Dec 2016

I got all hyped for Rebel suppressors a few years ago when they introduced their first one. Watch some tests about them and really research them. Lots of issues with failures and poor sound reduction. Ended up getting an Omega and Sig 556 titanium cans instead.

Comment

• Sticks
                          Chieftain
                          • Dec 2016

You have to take inot account that the meter was placed at the mil standard of forward at the muzzle end, not back at the shooter.

MAC did a video on suppressor testing and found some that were not hearing safe at the muzzle, but projected the sound wave forward enough that they were quieter back at the shooters ears than the ones that were quieter at the muzzle.

AR shooters also have a lot of noise coming from the chamber as well. Lot of noise coming from there with a suppressor.
                          Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• chowser51
                            Unwashed
                            • Oct 2017

Comment

• 454bore
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2014

I've heard that most silencer companies are going monolithic core for a less expensive product.
                              You can buy a mystic X on sale for 599 and it will shoot 300mag and under plus easy to clean.
                              With the subsonic aluminum FBA it reduces down to 8 " and weighs under 11 oz.
                              With a super sonic FBA is around 9.5 " and weighs 12.5 oz.

Comment

Working...
                              X