• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alex984
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2018

My first AR

I've done my research and asked my knowledgeable friends many annoying questions about ARs, but no one I know has a Grendel, so I thought I'd check in with the experienced folks.

Because this is my first black rifle, I'm not going to build one up from parts. However, I could not find what I was looking for in a complete rifle without spending a ton of money, so I'm shopping for a complete lower receiver and complete upper for easy assembly.

Here's what I'm thinking right now:

Yankee Hill Machine complete lower:

Precision Firearms Neptune VI complete upper w/20" barrel and LMB brake and 15" handguard.

From my reading, these are the low-end of the higher-end stuff (which is generally what I go for as a value proposition) and gets me into a functional rifle for about $1250, before optics, ammo, or magazines. Does this seem like a reasonable path? Anyone have suggestions or things I should consider before placing the order?

Thanks!
  • Texas
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2016

Welcome to tje forum Alex984. That will work, and if you are happy with that budget, geaux for it.

Comment

• Redomen
      Warrior
      • Jun 2016

Welcome. That one aught to shoot.

Comment

• zcostilla
        Warrior
        • Aug 2017

Those are both reputable vendors and high-quality items. Should be a tack driver! I couldn’t tell what trigger that comes with, but that is always an easy future upgrade if you’re not satisfied with whatever comes from YHM.
        -Zac

Husband, Father, Veteran. Grateful for my redemption.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
          Chieftain
          • Oct 2016

http://shop.bravocompanymfg.com/AR15...-mod-0-blk.htm
          Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Sticks
            Chieftain
            • Dec 2016

There were a couple of PF rifles and uppers in the Buy Sell Trade section. I can tell you from experience, that is the only way you are going to be shooting a PF upper before May at the earliest. Great rifles, but the wait time is grossly underestimated. Myself and many other members here were 6 months or longer waiting.

For that kind of money, I would also look at JP rifles. Top quality there also.

Just like the lower, you can assemble the upper yourself, just buy a high end barrel if that is your goal.
            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• just_john
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2012

Welcome to the Clan, Alex984, from the Great Nation of Texas! Your plan is sound - as stated above, some of the lead times are painful. You might also look at Alexander Arms for the upper. What part of the world are you in?

Comment

• Sean Boburk
                Bloodstained
                • Dec 2017

Disclaimer...I am not a brand snob so am not familiar with brands. The lower is a forged lower, has a basic butt stock, and says nothing of the trigger. If it is a MIL spec trigger, the price seems very steep to me. If it were me (I am a budget builder), I would get a cheaper lower elsewhere (PSA?) with a better stock, and spend the green I saved on a decent trigger. If I missed something and it has a nice trigger, seems like an OK price...not great.

It also has a commercial stock instead of MIL spec...this limits your stock choices somewhat....

I would say similar of the upper...without knowing the value of the brand name, $870 seems very steep for what they describe as an entry level upper. Seems an MOA upper could be had for 1/2 - 2/3rds of that price.

Sean
                Last edited by Sean Boburk; 01-09-2018, 12:50 PM.

Comment

• zcostilla
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2017

I would agree with the sentiment to build your own lower if you’re comfortable doing so. I built my entire Grendel AR, including the optics and sling, for under $850. It was built over Thanksgiving through Christmas timeframe, and I haven’t sighted in yet, but I hope to be under 1MOA. Based upon the reputation of Precision Firearms, I’d think your upper should shoot better than 1MOA, but you could save some serious cash by building your own. That said, if you’re in a hurry or don’t want to build it, there’s nothing wrong with built lowers. As I said before, you’re choosing reputable vendors. And just because something doesn’t match my own preferences, you are certainly able to choose based upon your own preferences.
                  Last edited by zcostilla; 01-09-2018, 02:24 PM.
                  -Zac

Comment

• Randy99CL
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2017

I'm new to the AR world and this thread brings up some questions I've wondered about for a while.

Why is there so much difference in the price of AR parts when they often seem exactly the same???
                    If a lower is forged and is a collection of unknown parts how are some priced at $100 while others (that seem no better) are around $400?
                    This isn't Cadillac/Chevy or Zeiss/Simmons where it is obvious that you're getting a better product, these pieces are usually "mil-spec" and that guarantees that they function the same.

A few months ago, before I joined this forum, I planned out my first AR build and read of the Ruger AR-Lower Elite. It's 7075 forged, made here in their NC plant, has great Magpul stock and grip and the $100+ Ruger 452 trigger. https://ruger.com/products/ar556/specSheets/8516.html
                    So is it $400? It's brand name, US made, good furniture, good trigger, right? No, I got it for less than $220 and it functions perfectly. The trigger is way better than the mil-spec that the more expensive pieces come with.
                    Can someone explain how/why those expensive lowers are worth the money?
                    "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• Sean Boburk
                      Bloodstained
                      • Dec 2017

Curious to see responses...but I know you can drop $200 on a nice trigger. Best I have is timney, and I think that was 180ish. So I can see a lower with a nice trigger being priced higher. I would prefer to buy one without a trigger and just add my own choice of triggers. Anyhow, outside of a nice trigger, or upper end stock, I don't know why there is such a large spread in prices. Brand name maybe?

Sean

Comment

• zcostilla
                        Warrior
                        • Aug 2017

Here’s my thoughts on triggers: Unless I was using my AR as a duty weapon, where I had a reasonable chance of being sued for employing it, I’d NEVER use a MIL-SPEC trigger. I see absolutely zero reason to use a trigger with creep, gritty takeup, and slip when I can get more consistency and the same reliability with a drop-in unit.

As to the idea of cost, some of it is reputation, supply and demand, and si o,y, whatever a vendor can get away with.
                        -Zac

Comment

• Lastrites
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2017

Ok I'll be that guy and say I wouldn't buy that lower at that price point. Brownells has or had complete Colt lowers for $250 and that price point would be tops as I still would want a nicer trigger. Palmetto State Armory has a complete lower with a Magpul Moe stock for $150 shipped, add a nicer trigger and your at $250 to $300. OP in my opinion you would be best served to do some shopping.

Colt complete lower
                          Last edited by Lastrites; 01-09-2018, 09:26 PM.

Comment

• Sean Boburk
                            Bloodstained
                            • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
                            Ok I'll be that guy and say I wouldn't buy that lower at that price point. Brownells has or had complete Colt lowers for $250 and that price point would be tops as I still would want a nicer trigger. Palmetto State Armory has a complete lower with a Magpul Moe stock for $150 shipped, add a nicer trigger and your at $250 to $300. OP in my opinion you would be best served to do some shopping.

Colt complete lower
                            https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rod109740.aspx
                            Personally, I would go the MOE route (or better yet, ACS-L). I've got a scar on my forehead that says that I don't like the stock adjustment lever exposed. I leaned on it when shooting at the range with my AR308, and the stock collapsed, driving the scope into my forehead. Maybe I'm just a dumbass

Comment

• Dcommoncents
                              Warrior
                              • Jul 2017

I concur regarding the lower. That seems quite spendy for me, particularly since I'm certain that the trigger, pistol grip, and buttstock will end up in a closet when you inevitably decide to replace them. I don't have any recommendations on complete lower alternatives, but would suggest building one. The only specialized tool you would need for assembly is a wrench for the buffer tube castle nut. It's really easy, particularly when you can just pull up a Youtube tutorial these days.

I would recommend buying a stripped forged lower from any reputable manufacturer (I almost always use Aero Precision but that's mostly laziness and familiarity) and lower parts kit that omits the fire control group (essentially the trigger bits, I recently used this one https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/prod...ortby=ourPicks).

Then you can pick the exact grip, trigger, and buttstock you want the first time around. The carbine buffer tube (milspec is standard and pertains to diameter of the tube) and spring are easy choices. Finally, you'll just need a buffer, which again just needs to be from a reputable manufacturer (I once cheaped out on a buffer and it came apart in the tube). A standard carbine weight buffer will work, but a heavy (H) buffer should also function reliably and make for a smoother shooting rifle. Heavier buffers may not be appropriate depending on unknown factors like the barrel gas port diameter and gas system length.

Comment

Working...
                              X