Thread: Sooo.... Cali's new laws

Sooo.... Cali's new laws

So if California's new laws make it illegal for state and local LEO to assist ICE with illegal aliens, the legalization of pot etc. What would keep Conservative states from legalizing/ reversing any anti gun laws that the federal govt might pass in the future?

Right. They are opening the door for chaos. I disagree with many “gun laws”, but follow them because it’s rule. Without cooperation from states on major issues such as immigration/pot smoking, chaos will ensue.

Richard
    Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Warrior
    If the state says you can sell a firearm from state resident to state resident the Federal government has no say in the matter.
    They can regulate interstate commerce but not intrastate. The US Constitution says so.

So let me use this example. What if a state passed the "hearing protection act". The MFG, and buyer reside in that same state.

Many States have passed the Firearms Freedom Act, but the Federal Government claims supremacy, so those laws aren't legal according to the Feds.

It all makes sense if you just don't think about it.

Pas your own controlled substance and immigration laws in the State? That's ok.

Pass your own firearms laws? Not ok.

See how that logic works out perfectly?

Now get back to work and stop reading about dissenting views online. CA needs most of your paycheck before you see it.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Warrior
    actually the pot laws are being used to deny firearm sales.
    its illegal under federal law, and a dis qualifier now

i think the cali ammo via mail can be fought in court, that is interstate commerce, and under the federal gov jurisdiction

Quote Originally Posted by mdram View Post
    actually the pot laws are being used to deny firearm sales.
    its illegal under federal law, and a dis qualifier now

i think the cali ammo via mail can be fought in court, that is interstate commerce, and under the federal gov jurisdiction
    If you live in California then here is your solution.

(a) Commencing January 1, 2018, a resident of this state shall not bring or transport into this state any ammunition that he or she purchased or otherwise obtained from outside of this state unless he or she first has that ammunition delivered to a licensed ammunition vendor for delivery to that resident pursuant to the procedures set forth in Section 30312.Unless you have a 03FFL and CA CoE.(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any of the following5) A person who is licensed as a collector of firearms pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto, whose licensed premises are within this state, and who has a current certificate of eligibility issued by the Department of Justice pursuant to Section 26710

What is bad is that if I want to do an early morning hunt in California (I'm in Nevada) I have to wait for a sporting goods store to open up so I can buy ammo because I can't bring ammo into the state. I'm still not clear on whether I can buy ammo in California and then take it back to Nevada and later return with it.

Warrior
    I don't believe there is any amendment allowing the Federal government to claim supremacy over firearms issues.

The fact that they have done so is related to interstate commerce.

That is why I can buy and sell firearms to other citizens in my state with only a sales receipt.
    The sales receipt is not strictly necessary but provides proof a legal sales transaction was made.

California has no state right to keep and bear arms. How convenient!
    http://www2.law.ucla.edu/volokh/beararms/statecon.htm
    Last edited by bj139; 01-09-2018 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sschefer View Post
    If you live in California then here is your solution.

(a) Commencing January 1, 2018, a resident of this state shall not bring or transport into this state any ammunition that he or she purchased or otherwise obtained from outside of this state unless he or she first has that ammunition delivered to a licensed ammunition vendor for delivery to that resident pursuant to the procedures set forth in Section 30312.Unless you have a 03FFL and CA CoE.(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any of the following5) A person who is licensed as a collector of firearms pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto, whose licensed premises are within this state, and who has a current certificate of eligibility issued by the Department of Justice pursuant to Section 26710

What is bad is that if I want to do an early morning hunt in California (I'm in Nevada) I have to wait for a sporting goods store to open up so I can buy ammo because I can't bring ammo into the state. I'm still not clear on whether I can buy ammo in California and then take it back to Nevada and later return with it.
    If you live in California, then here is your solution:

Move.
    Cost of Samsung Galaxy S8 Active which replaced iPoop 6s: $35.37/ month for 24 months
    Cost of Samsung Galaxy S6 Active which replaced iPoop 5s work phone: $299.00
    Cost to order ATT Primetime to replace iPoop Mini2: $10/month for 20 months

Knowing that soon I will never have to deal with Apple again: Priceless

^^like button pushed^^ lol
    Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Quote Originally Posted by sschefer View Post
    I read that as applying to residents. So non-resident hunters must purchase their ammo in-state?

My deepest condolences to California. At one time it really was a great place to be. No more. Such potential and wealth wasted. Watching it's continued decline over the next decade or two will be painful.
    Paul Peloquin

God didn't make all men equal; Colt did.

Quote Originally Posted by ricsmall View Post
    Right. They are opening the door for chaos. I disagree with many “gun laws”, but follow them because it’s rule.
    I follow Heinlein's philosophy regarding rules: "If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them."

Quote Originally Posted by ricsmall View Post
    Without cooperation from states on major issues such as immigration/pot smoking, chaos will ensue.
    The problem is, immigration is a valid function of the federal government, but marijuana smoking properly is a states' rights issue.
    Last edited by stanc; 01-10-2018 at 01:34 AM.
    If at first you don't succeed, give up.
    Anything that can't be done easily, probably isn't worth doing.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneHendge View Post
    If you live in California, then here is your solution:

Move.
    For some of us, that's much easier said than done.

Problem is that what happens in Cali, eventually happens to the other 49 states. It's like a terminal cancer.
    Sticks

Bloodstained
    IMO California is a lost cause, Trillion or more in debt and no end in sight, one big quake and it will fold in many ways and gun/ammo law's will be least of anyone's concerns....at the point the Makers get outnumbered by the Takers there will be issues....In my State 52% of population pays Taxes, 48% does not and the politicians wonder why they have so many budget issues ? go figure....only ONE City in my State has not LOST population in last 5 years and when the tax base keeps shrinking ? then what ? People should be leaving California.....for many reasons....my rant....

Bloodstained
    As I sit here in the Florida panhandle, enjoying my Grandkids and reaping the freedom of firearms building, buying, shooting, hunting (boy those Doe's backstraps were to kill for Monday's supper) I morn the loss of those same god given rights to some of my fellow citizens.

The only way I can help, influence, is with my dollars thus I spend NO money or time in any state with repressive, read Stupid, Gun laws. I and my fellow sportsmen welcome any and all to our Florida, Georgia, South Carolina area to help us enjoy the fruits of our labor. The game is varied and plentiful and you will be treated as if you are family.;
    Last edited by 41bear; 01-10-2018 at 02:21 PM.

Warrior
    The state of California is specifically violating Federal law by infringing on the people's right to keep and bear arms.
    The states are not free to violate an individual's Constitutional rights. A Federal judge should rule on this.
    I believe I read somewhere the magazine ban has been halted by a court ruling. Maybe someone who knows more can comment.

Quote Originally Posted by bj139 View Post
    The state of California is specifically violating Federal law by infringing on the people's right to keep and bear arms.
    The states are not free to violate an individual's Constitutional rights. A Federal judge should rule on this.
    Heh, heh. Fat chance of that happening. The federal government has been violating the Second Amendment for close to a century.

Quote Originally Posted by bj139 View Post
    I don't believe there is any amendment allowing the Federal government to claim supremacy over firearms issues.

The fact that they have done so is related to interstate commerce.

That is why I can buy and sell firearms to other citizens in my state with only a sales receipt.
    The sales receipt is not strictly necessary but provides proof a legal sales transaction was made.

California has no state right to keep and bear arms. How convenient!
    http://www2.law.ucla.edu/volokh/beararms/statecon.htm
    I wonder if an application of the “equal protection clause” of the 14th Amendment, which has been used to compel other states to recognize things like same sex marriages before the Supreme Court ruled it a right, might be used for a legal attack on the California gun ruling in this instance.
    -Zac

Husband, Father, Veteran. Grateful for my redemption.