• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
    I feel your pain.

I am doing DOT inspections on 100+ on highway vehicles and trailers...in the field.
    Why would a bus engineer (employed by the allegedly almighty Warren Buffet) run the switch power for the passenger door, passenger compartment lights and heat fan through a relay the Ford manual identifies as Modified Chassis Run/Start? I'd call to ask them, but the last time I called the factory about that particular bus, they said they had no record of it being made. Sunny and 50 Sunday. Knock on wood - really looking forward to seeing how the 70 gr NBTVs do........
    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Sticks
      Chieftain
      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
      Why would a bus engineer (employed by the allegedly almighty Warren Buffet) run the switch power for the passenger door, passenger compartment lights and heat fan through a relay the Ford manual identifies as Modified Chassis Run/Start? ...
      For the same reason they would install an inline fuse behind the dash that is the circuit protection for courtesy lights/aux power socket/trailer tow aux power/... spent an entire day tracing a circuit since nobody could tell me where the fuse was since it was not in either of the PDCs.
      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

I guess the day could be considered successful given that the wind was a gusty 20-25 mph and I have some winter rust. Confirmed velocity of the "light" 25.3 gr Benchmark load (27 is Hodgdon max) at 2956 sd 6 es 21 with 7 shots. Given the wind, I'm pretty happy with how the 70 gr Varmageddons grouped. The group in the left was 5 shots and the right was 6. Both are right about MOA

IMG_20180218_185035_crop_619x230.jpg

10 mph of wind = 0.8" at 100, so with the way it was bouncing around today, i would attribute quite a bit of the horizontal stringing to the wind. I also set up right next to the wall with it on my left with a left to right wind (had no choice - it was busy) so I couldn't feel the wind and wait for lulls like I normally would, so there's also likely a bit a aerodynamic jump differential in there too.

Did very good on 6" plates at 350 and 450 and reasonably well at 550 given the target is a little over 2mph wide out there - misses weren't by much. Flat based bullets didn't seem to have more wind drift than projected - was holding same wind values for 120 gr scenars out of my 18" Grrrrrrrr.

25.2 gr of Benchmark with the 70 gr NBTVs shows even better promise. 5 shot 2954 sd 9 es 26 but accuracy potential seems better. This was with the Magnet to on and it may have shifted. There was also of course the wind.

IMG_20180218_184750_crop_506x388.jpg

MOA in total but the 3 on the right are < 1/2 MOA. Usually a group like that during development with Magnetto on does much better with it off (knock on wood)

Gonna work up a bunch of those to see how they do. Those are seated at 2.310 which is ASC mag length + a little wiggle room - and they are off the lands. Fits in the case real nice. Bearing surface protrudes just below the neck and the little spitzer boat tail doesn't really protrude much below the shoulder. I only went up to 26 gr and got 3068 sd 12 es 30 vs Hodgdons 27 gr max at 2960.

And on a Grendel note, I did manage a few hits out of my 18er at 1016 once I figured out what the jetstream was doing. Nothing like holding for 16' of wind on a 16" plate at 1k and getting 2 in a row
        Attached Files
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• bj139
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2017

SH,
          Looks like you are getting some good groups.
          I reloaded some 6x6.8 and American 30 today.
          I plan to shoot tomorrow.
          I will get back to the 6x45 next.

Comment

• StoneHendge
            Chieftain
            • May 2016

This is the 70 gr NBTV at 2.31 (ASC mag length). 27.2 gr of Benchmark goes just above the base of the shoulder. Talk about making full use of a case!

IMG_20180219_211008_crop_227x388.jpg
            Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• bj139
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2017

It looks like you are limited by the mag length. Is 25gr a compressed load?

Comment

• StoneHendge
                Chieftain
                • May 2016

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                It looks like you are limited by the mag length. Is 25gr a compressed load?
                It's pretty much right around 100% fill. Made a bunch last night but it's going to be at least a week before I can get to them. We'll see how they do. They can comfortably get pushed to 3600+ in a 6mm S'more. I'm going to try and convince myself that my 308 RPR barrel is shot out this spring.
                Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• bj139
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2017

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                  I shot my 6x45 today at 100 yards.
                  Two groups one partial resized and one full resized.
                  55gr Dogtown bullets, 25gr H335, COAL same as factory 223.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]10912[/ATTACH]

What does all that vertical stringing mean?
                  Horizontal spread looks good on partial resize.
                  After letting this rattle around in my head a while I realized I had never had vertical stringing like this always shooting the same way.
                  The reason has to be elsewhere. The inconsistent neck dimensions after firing may be the key due to inconsistent neck tension.
                  This is military, range pickup brass I used.
                  Military brass is not designed to be reloaded, so it may be quite stiff for best bullet retention and may need to be annealed to provide consistent neck tension at this point.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                    Chieftain
                    • May 2016

It's hard to beat Lake City brass, but I've found other military headstamps to be not worth the prep time and have the most value in the scale at the scrap yard. SBS, CBC, WCC, TAA, IWI. A buck forty a pound.

A load for my old 556 barrel that shot 3/4 MOA in LC looked like your groups above in CBC and TAA. I personally wouldn't expect better groups than yours above mixing headstamps.
                    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• bj139
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2017

It's hard for me to justify buying new 5.56 brass when it is just lying around for free.
                      An advantage for my 6x6.8 is I had to buy brass so I bought Starline and am starting from a consistent point.
                      I may have to spend some time learning more about headstamps. I now know nothing but at least I know that I know nothing.
                      Do you have a site you use for headstamp translation?

Comment

• bj139
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2017

Went shooting today at 100 yards.

The scope was already on the 6x6.8 and the first shot hit dead center. I thought about stopping right there.

I shot 13 6x6.8 and 11 American 30.

The 6x6.8 shot about 1 MOA.

I moved the scope to the American 30 and set the scope to my previous settings and missed the target twice shooting at the top right spot.

I then shot at the center and hit 1.5 MRAD high and 0.5MRAD right so I adjusted and shot a few at the top right again then adjusted a bit.

I then shot the last 6 American 30 at the bottom right. Looks OK to me.

I remembered later I changed the barrel nut to a non-crappy nut so the POI must have changed.

I'm liking the American 30 even more. Remember, get the best nuts you can and keep them in good shape.

Here are my BHW/Columbia barrels as shot. Manual ejection was easy. These barrels must have the smoothest chambers.
                        Last edited by bj139; 02-20-2018, 08:04 PM.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                          Chieftain
                          • May 2016

A30 looking good aside from the one you presumably StoneHendged. I just used my google fu for the headstamps, but I don't really pick up brass anymore unless I know it's 1x lake city. Too many people shooting factory reloads at my range and who know how many times that brass has been sent thru the ringer. I have more than enough LC and Norma brass from feeding my carbine blaster AE 556 and Norma TAC 223.

Shooting without a handguard will affect your POI unless you put the barrel on the rest in the same spot every time - the pressure on the barrel does have an impact on the harmonics.
                          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• bj139
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2017

I think I placed the barrel on the same spot each time but I could have pulled the magazine housing back or down with more force.
                            I will install one of my special handguards before I shoot these next.
                            The leftmost shot on the A30 group was near the middle of the string and I can't explain it by a called flier.
                            One good thing is I don't have to worry about the gas tube touching anything.

On the 6x6.8, the shots did move left with barrel heating. I shot center, top left then bottom left.
                            Last edited by bj139; 02-21-2018, 03:04 AM.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                              Chieftain
                              • May 2016

I bookmarked your handguard thread in case the gun grabbers are ever successful banning "barrel shrouds" I had to google that one myself. I had no idea how many shrouds I owned!
                              Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• bj139
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2017

I saw "barrel shrouds" mentioned a day or two ago and thought it a rather odd term.
                                I guess they think it hides the barrel from view and so is an evil feature.
                                Unless they ban plumbing fixtures I think I am safe.

Comment

Working...
                                X