Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6x45

Warrior

6x45

I was looking at a few different cartridges for dimensions and found that 6X45 is the first cartridge listed in the SAAMI pdf.
    http://saami.org/specifications_and_...FR.pdf#page=13

It has the same COAL as the 223 so is simply a necked up 223.

I was surprised the 25-45 Sharps is not a SAAMI cartridge.

I was considering trying the 30 American but there seems to be very little information about it online.
    Last edited by bj139; 01-09-2018 at 06:31 PM.

Did you get your barrel? My dies and bullets are out for delivery and everything else I need should be arriving by tomorrow. Hope to do some sizing tonight and then load up about 50 or so on the light side for a function check and barrel break in.
    Cost of Samsung Galaxy S8 Active which replaced iPoop 6s: $35.37/ month for 24 months
    Cost of Samsung Galaxy S6 Active which replaced iPoop 5s work phone: $299.00
    Cost to order ATT Primetime to replace iPoop Mini2: $10/month for 20 months

Knowing that soon I will never have to deal with Apple again: Priceless

Warrior
    I didn't get my barrel yet. I am about ready to call about it.
    Edit: I just called and they said it should be here on Thursday by Fedex.
    Fedex always wants a signature so if I miss the driver I am screwed. I hate Fedex.

I did make a dummy round in 6x45 to show people.

I need to shoot my Howa next at 100 yards when the weather gets warmer.
    It showed an excellent 4 shot group at 50yds, near one hole with 2 Wolf, 1 STT and 1 AMAX mixed and with a cheap UTG 4x scope.
    IMG_20171116_145352 (Medium).jpg
    Last edited by bj139; 01-09-2018 at 09:08 PM.

Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneHendge View Post
    Did you get your barrel? My dies and bullets are out for delivery and everything else I need should be arriving by tomorrow. Hope to do some sizing tonight and then load up about 50 or so on the light side for a function check and barrel break in.
    Do you have the upper assembled? I have a receiver, barrel nut, gas block and gas tube waiting for mine.

I don't need a handguard for now. I am working on a simpler schedule 40 handguard design.

Do I need a forward assist or will the receiver be fine with a hole instead?

Warrior
    According to the Fedex tracking page my barrel should not need a signature so if I'm in the can everything should come out all right.

The YHM wrench I need to get the handguard off the upper is on the truck today. Everything will work fine without forward assist installed.
    Cost of Samsung Galaxy S8 Active which replaced iPoop 6s: $35.37/ month for 24 months

Warrior
    IMG_20180111_211006 (Medium).jpg
    I received my 6x45 barrel this afternoon and assembled the upper.
    BHW barrel 18" bull mid length gas target crown 6x45 $93
    BCA blem upper $34
    Barrel nut $8
    Schedule 40 handguard tube $0.50
    Schedule 40 union $0.78
    SS hose clamp $1.00
    0.936" gas block $22
    Mid length gas tube $7.50
    Diamond Like Coating BCG $100
    Ambidextrous Charging Handle $22
    No forward assist or ejection port cover
    Just enough to get it operational
    Total $288.78

How is that for a budget build? A little bit of FDE paint on the handguard and it will be GTG.

Extras: SWFA 16X42 SS Tactical scope $259,Redfield Mount $30.
    Last edited by bj139; 01-12-2018 at 03:02 AM.

Lookin good - hard to beat $289 for a BHW barreled upper -that’s less then what the barrel was originally! Your way ahead of me -turns out my wrench was shipped Sure Post. Which means we’re not Sure if the Post office will ever get it to you. And sure enough, the handoff from UPS to the USPS was fumbled and they’re blaming it on each other. Another is allegedly on the way. No big deal - all my brass needs trimming so I had to order a RCBS 6mm 3 way cutter. From Midway with a few extra bucks spent on UPS shipping to assure the USPS is excluded from the equation.

Warrior
    I have to load some 6x45. Hodgdon has data online.
    I think I will start with 25g of H335 with the 55g dogtown bullets, the starting load.
    I have to work over the next 3 days so i can't get started loading until next week.
    It looks like the COAL has to be the same as 223 to fit in a P-Mag

Quote Originally Posted by bj139 View Post
    I have to load some 6x45. Hodgdon has data online.
    I think I will start with 25g of H335 with the 55g dogtown bullets, the starting load.
    I have to work over the next 3 days so i can't get started loading until next week.
    It looks like the COAL has to be the same as 223 to fit in a P-Mag
    Mine really likes 2015 and 8208

Warrior
    The last time I was at my LGS I asked them to order some XBR 8208. They might have some by now.
    They are near where I'm working tomorrow so I will stop in and see.

I’m going to start with 8208 and Benchmark with the 70 gr Varmageddons. I’ve had good success with the latter with Varmageddons in 308 and 223

Warrior
    I checked at my LGS and XBR-8208 is on backorder at their distributor. They are going to add my request for a pound when it becomes available.

I just did another stupid thing and ordered the last 6x6.8 barrel from True Sporting Arms. I guess I need a Redding bushing die now.

Lol -what are the specs? I might have ordered their last 12.5” Type 2 264 LBC. If they’re going to practically give the stuff away, someone might as well buy it!

Lol -what are the specs? I might have ordered their last 12.5” Type 2 264 LBC. If they’re going to practically give the stuff away, someone might as well buy it! They left the listing up to taunt anyone else who might have been agonizing over it like me - only to have them click on it to see “0 in stock” [Dr. Evil laugh]

https://truesportingarmsllc.com/prod...-5-ltc-58-mac/

Warrior
    Nice 264 LBC. Did you buy one of the Faxon 12" group buys?

6X6.8 1X10 16 STD/M 1/2 MACH for $82.50 I couldn't resist. I figure I'm saving enough on handguards to buy a few extra barrels.
    https://truesportingarmsllc.com/prod...-stdm-12-mach/
    Last edited by bj139; 01-13-2018 at 01:29 AM.

I missed out on the 12” group buy but the 300 BLK build gave me pistol fever. I’ve been super impressed with the 2 BHWs I’ve got up and running and also could resist.

Warrior
    I just cleaned my 6x45 BHW barrel and tried to feed a few dummy rounds. I had to mortar the new bolt open.
    I removed the o-ring from the extractor and lubed the bolt and it got better. I fed some 223 rounds and they ejected easily.
    Then, the dummy 6x45 round fed and ejected easily. The 100 gr bullet got pushed into the case at some point.
    The 55 gr Dogtown bullet remained OK in the case. I think the problems were caused by the bolt being new.
    I will measure the case neck before firing any rounds and make sure it is a few thou below SAAMI minimum chamber neck dimension to give room for expansion.
    I will load some tomorrow and maybe go to the range for testing.

I just measured a round with a bullet seated and it is .265".
    SAAMI says the case neck of .269" and chamber of .270" so there should be .005" of room for neck expansion.

Case length 1.765" and SAAMI says 1.760 - .030 so I will have to trim to length.
    SAAMI chamber says 1.7720" so it would probably work OK but I better trim anyway.
    That is all for tonight.
    Last edited by bj139; 01-15-2018 at 04:38 AM.

I’m at .266 with the dummies I made. Slipped them into the chamber, pressed hard and they fell right out. Loaded a ladder of 70 RDFs in 223 tonight and then compared to 6x45 dummy with a 70 Varmageddon - pretty significant difference in case intrusion. Beginning to think my velocity expectations are conservative.

Warrior
    Mine were hard to eject but when I dropped it into the chamber and turned it upside down it just fell out.
    The extractor did not engage the cartridge head the first few times the bolt slammed closed which makes me think it was the extractor or bolt friction.