X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bj139
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2017

Nice 264 LBC. Did you buy one of the Faxon 12" group buys?

6X6.8 1X10 16 STD/M 1/2 MACH for $82.50 I couldn't resist. I figure I'm saving enough on handguards to buy a few extra barrels.
    Last edited by bj139; 01-13-2018, 12:29 AM.

Comment

• StoneHendge
      Chieftain
      • May 2016

I missed out on the 12” group buy but the 300 BLK build gave me pistol fever. I’ve been super impressed with the 2 BHWs I’ve got up and running and also could resist.
      Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• bj139
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2017

I just cleaned my 6x45 BHW barrel and tried to feed a few dummy rounds. I had to mortar the new bolt open.
        I removed the o-ring from the extractor and lubed the bolt and it got better. I fed some 223 rounds and they ejected easily.
        Then, the dummy 6x45 round fed and ejected easily. The 100 gr bullet got pushed into the case at some point.
        The 55 gr Dogtown bullet remained OK in the case. I think the problems were caused by the bolt being new.
        I will measure the case neck before firing any rounds and make sure it is a few thou below SAAMI minimum chamber neck dimension to give room for expansion.
        I will load some tomorrow and maybe go to the range for testing.

I just measured a round with a bullet seated and it is .265".
        SAAMI says the case neck of .269" and chamber of .270" so there should be .005" of room for neck expansion.

Case length 1.765" and SAAMI says 1.760 - .030 so I will have to trim to length.
        SAAMI chamber says 1.7720" so it would probably work OK but I better trim anyway.
        That is all for tonight.
        Last edited by bj139; 01-15-2018, 03:38 AM.

Comment

• StoneHendge
          Chieftain
          • May 2016

I’m at .266 with the dummies I made. Slipped them into the chamber, pressed hard and they fell right out. Loaded a ladder of 70 RDFs in 223 tonight and then compared to 6x45 dummy with a 70 Varmageddon - pretty significant difference in case intrusion. Beginning to think my velocity expectations are conservative.
          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• bj139
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2017

Mine were hard to eject but when I dropped it into the chamber and turned it upside down it just fell out.
            The extractor did not engage the cartridge head the first few times the bolt slammed closed which makes me think it was the extractor or bolt friction.

Comment

• bj139
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2017

I formed and loaded twenty 5.56 cases to 6x45.
              I was using my Lee hand press and noticed the die was not meeting the shell holder after screwing in the die 1/4 more turn after contact.
              I put the die in my Lee turret press and did the same and the two contacted with a case in the die.
              I think the hand press was not made for reforming cases. Maybe that was the reason I had a little trouble ejecting the dummy rounds.
              I trimmed them to length .015" less than SAAMI max.
              I reloaded with 25g H335, small pistol primers and 55g dogtown bullets.
              I tested them for fit in the chamber and when pressed in and the barrel turned upright they fell out.
              I remembered small pistol primers have thinner cups so I removed the firing pin from the bolt and worked 5 of them through the action where they ejected easily.
              I should have a short firing pin for testing since I thought the cam pin might have turned in the receiver cutout but it didn't.
              This would have locked the BCG in the action, I think. I guess a long rod inserted through the back of the BCG could get the pin realigned and the bolt free.
              You know what they say about Murphys law and that other old saying, "Nothing can be foolproof since fools are so ingenious".

I will try to shoot them tomorrow but we are expecting snow so that may derail my plans.
              Last edited by bj139; 01-16-2018, 01:08 AM.

Comment

• bj139
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2017

I shot the BHW 6x45 barrel today at 50 yards.
                I adjusted the scope left and right 1 MRAD for each group.
                The best group in the center started with 3 shots, as they all do.
                When I counted the rounds remaining I had five left so I thought add 2 to one group for a five shot and then a final 3 shot group.
                When I was ready to squeeze I thought, "I better not Stonehenge this".
                Sorry SH but I couldn't help it. I SHed the last 3 shot group instead since I was feeling cocky at that point.

IMG_20180116_151809 (Medium).jpg

I also shot two 223 through the barrel and they fireformed nicely.
                The thought occured to me this might damage the rifling so I stopped.
                The primers were quite flat but these were small pistol primers so the pressure must have been low.
                It looks like this bull barrel is a shooter.
                Not bad for $91.25/shipped.

Edit: I single loaded the first 4 rounds and the bolt locked back on the bolt stop with every one so I think the gas port size is good.
                Last edited by bj139; 01-16-2018, 10:41 PM.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2016

Damn - that’s pretty impressive for a random load in an unbroken in barrel. If mine is anywhere close to that, there are going to be a lot of baby P-dogs wondering why mommy and daddy didn’t come back down the hole with dinner.

And great minds think alike - I’ve been trimming down to 1.745”
                  Last edited by StoneHendge; 01-17-2018, 01:02 AM.
                  Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• bj139
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2017

It's nice to have someone to discuss 6x45 with since no one else seems interested.
                    This would be a perfect round for young shooters. The recoil is extremly mild.
                    I loaded up 21 more and may go back to the range tomorrow. The fireformed 223s came out the same length as the cases I trimmed.
                    I reloaded with small rifle primers and could not seat 1 primer completely. Then, I remembered pistol primers are slightly smaller in diameter than rifle.
                    No wonder the pistol primers seemed a bit easy to seat yesterday. I will just fire the primed case to reuse it.
                    I have been looking at the SAAMI diagrams for my cartidge and chamber dimensions. It is a really convenient resource.
                    I wish I had dimensions for 6x68 and 30 American for the other barrels I bought.
                    The neck clearances should be similar for all cartridges so I should be OK. They should allow an additional .005" for neck expansion, I hope.

I can't wait to hear your results with your new barrel.
                    It's nice you have some p-dogs for convenient targets.
                    The farmer where I used to go bought conibear traps and set them in front of the groundhogs holes and decimated the population.
                    When we go dove and squirrel hunting we don't see any groundhog and very few groundhog holes.
                    Last edited by bj139; 01-17-2018, 03:17 AM.

Comment

• IceAxe
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2014

The 6x45 is a great cartridge, and one of my favorite to shoot. I ended up with 3 of them in the AR platform. I for the life of me cant understand why everyone doesn't have one. Lately I have been trying to work up a load for the 80 grain PSP.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                        Chieftain
                        • May 2016

At this point, I don’t know if I’m ever going to get my wrench lol. Then my Midway box showed up last night with the box open. Luckily the 6mm 3 way cutter was in there, but no gas block. Got a tracking number for another already, but it just seems like it will never come together. What type of 223 brass are you using? I ask as I’m working my was through swaging about 1k of Norma 223 brass
                        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• bj139
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2017

Welcome to the 6x45 forum IceAxe. After my one experience shooting 6x45 yesterday I agree with you.
                          It is very pleasant to shoot. What purpose did you have in mind for the 80g? I bought some 90g and 100g with an idea of a deer load.

SH:
                          I liked your previous post about Surepost meaning you are not sure if you will get your package.
                          My Midway packages always get delivered by UPS. No fumbled handoff to USPS. Sorry to hear about your problems.
                          Yesterday, I picked up about 50 range brass and thought here I am buying Grendel brass for 45 cents a case and I have all the 6x45 brass I could ever want for free.
                          I was thinking with so many people talking about the 224 Valkyrie maybe a 6mm Valkyrie would be good then I realized I just bought a 6x68 or 6mm Valkyrie for $82.50/shipped.
                          Last edited by bj139; 01-17-2018, 01:32 PM.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                            Chieftain
                            • May 2016

I didn't order the wrench from Midway (none of the big guys have it in stock) - came from a small guy who is probably a drop shipper. Just called them and I should have it via UPS tomorrow! Midway rocks with shipping speed, but as we all know, whoever does the boxing for shipping is on the spastic side and they didn't manage to get the tape down the center of the box and it opened in transit. Gas block is probably rolling around the truck somewhere. No worries - they made good and I should have one tomorrow.

I don't know if you reload a lot of 223, but a lot of the primers can be crimped or staked and the cases could need swaging before loading.

The 224V case is shorter than a 6.8 so they can fit those really long 90s in a mag.
                            Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• IceAxe
                              Warrior
                              • Jan 2014

[QUOTE=bj139;179978]Welcome to the 6x45 forum IceAxe. After my one experience shooting 6x45 yesterday I agree with you.
                              It is very pleasant to shoot. What purpose did you have in mind for the 80g? I bought some 90g and 100g with an idea of a deer load.
                              /QUOTE]
                              The 58g, 60g, and 75g shot unbelievably well but when I went over 85g the groups opened up. I did have some luck with the GMX as far as accuracy goes but the length caused too much compromise on powder and velocity. In Colorado to hunt deer it would have to have 1000 foot pounds at 100 yards and be 6mm or better. That's what I was hoping to accomplish with an AR, It was great hunting coyote's and is a joy to shoot. I think it is plenty of gun for deer or an antelope with the "right" bullet.

Comment

• bj139
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2017

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post

I don't know if you reload a lot of 223, but a lot of the primers can be crimped or staked and the cases could need swaging before loading.

The 224V case is shorter than a 6.8 so they can fit those really long 90s in a mag.
                                I have been reaming the primer hole with the Lee neck chamfering tool. Maybe I haven't been removing enough or is swaging different?

I didn't mean the 6x68 IS a 6mm Valkyrie but it might be close to a 6mm Valkyrie Improved.

I was hoping to get to the range today but we got a few inches of snow and I didn't feel like driving with all the idiots who panic in ice and snow.
                                Last edited by bj139; 01-17-2018, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X