• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
    I have been reaming the primer hole with the Lee neck chamfering tool. Maybe I haven't been removing enough or is swaging different?

I didn't mean the 6x68 IS a 6mm Valkyrie but it might be close to a 6mm Valkyrie Improved.

I was hoping to get to the range today but we got a few inches of snow and I didn't feel like driving with all the idiots who panic in ice and snow.
    You may not be removing enough. I used to do it with a primer pocket reamer on my Lyman Case Prep Center but found it wasn't consistent enough and would still have some that were tough to get in. I got the RCBS Primer Pocket swager and haven't looked back - perfect every time and a lot faster too.

Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• bj139
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
      You may not be removing enough. I used to do it with a primer pocket reamer on my Lyman Case Prep Center but found it wasn't consistent enough and would still have some that were tough to get in. I got the RCBS Primer Pocket swager and haven't looked back - perfect every time and a lot faster too.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/23...swager-combo-2
      Thanks. I just added that to my cart at Midway. My cart is not empty too often. I just fill it up and wait for free shipping.

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
        Thanks. I just added that to my cart at Midway. My cart is not empty too often. I just fill it up and wait for free shipping.
        A little tip - I dip the bottom of the case in isopropyl alcohol to provide a little lube for breaking the case free at the end of the process. You'll see what I mean when you see how it works. Makes it a LOT easier and it fully evaporates (although my cases go in the ultrasonic cleaner for the next step).
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• bj139
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2017

I just reloaded 21 military cases and reamed the primer pocket with this reamer I bought on my last Midway order.

I didn't ream enough on one case and could not seat the primer.
          The thought occurred to me the right size drill bit would work. I bought the complete set of 128 different drill bits a few years ago. Maybe I will see.
          I did ream the case mouths with this reamer and the bullets entered the mouth easier with no extra hard bullet transitions into the case mouth.

Comment

• Sticks
            Chieftain
            • Dec 2016

$59 harbor freight drill press, couple pieces of 2x4, and other misc hardware laying around, I don't remember who's reamer.

Version 2.0 had the vacuum for the Dillon RT1200 trimmer attached to suck up the brass shavings.

Then again, I was doing 5 gallon buckets of 5.56 Lake City once fired from the training classes I took, not 20's or 50's
            Last edited by Sticks; 01-18-2018, 10:50 AM.
            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• bj139
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2017

Sticks,
              Nice brass holding vise. Midway has several of those reamers.
              I will think a bit about how I will do this reaming.

Comment

• bj139
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2017

I shot the 6x45 BHW bull barrel today at 100 yards and it shot about 2 MOA for for an 8 shot and two 10 shot groups..
                6x45-IMG_20180118_140542 (Medium).jpg6x45100yards-IMG_20180118_150354 (Medium).jpg6x45100yards-IMG_20180118_150427 (Medium).jpg6x45100yards-IMG_20180118_141248 (Medium).jpg
                It was cold at the range, about 25F. I couldn't feel my fingers after a while.
                Results were not as good as I hoped after my results shooting at 50 yards.

I think I might have damaged the rifling by shooting two 223 rounds through it with the bullet rattling down the barrel.
                It wouldn't be the first stupid thing I've done.
                Does anyone think this is likely or is the bad grouping due to something else?

I will use a little JB bore paste and shoot again when the weather gets better.
                Last edited by bj139; 01-18-2018, 08:06 PM.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2016

I cant remember last time I shot something other than Claudia (my K31) or Mr. Narikawa (Type 99 Arisaka) off a rest, but the vertical patterning would lead me to believe your stock position varied or maybe the handguard is bouncing around. Free recoil moves back and in the absence of the ability to move back, the barrel moves up. I always get at least 1 MOA rise off of a rest vs. a properly loaded bipod.

My wrench finally showed up yesterday and I managed to break the upper down this morning. 8k rounds through an upper that didn't get much cleaning attention made it fun - needed a hammer to get the gas block off and there is an impressive amount of crust in the recess in the upper receiver where the cam pin goes. Going to take a bit to scrub everything and having a business to pay for all of this stuff is getting in the way.
                  Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• bj139
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2017

I used the same rest when I shot a few days ago at 50 yards and shot a 5/16" 5 shot group.

No use crying over spilt milk.

Comment

• bj139
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2017

I just started reloading the 6x45 brass and after resizing a few I thought I better make sure a bullet fits in the neck of a fired but unsized case.
                      Out of about 30 cases about 20 would not fit a bullet. Bad sign.
                      I measured a few cases with bullet seated and they were .265" or .266". SAAMI says .269" which should be the maximum.
                      I can only assume the barrel has a tight throat. SAAMI chamber dimension shows it should be .270".
                      It's a good thing I loaded light loads. I guess I have to contact BHW.

Comment

• 454bore
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2014

2 to 3 thou is enough for bullet release
                        Get your bullet close to the lands
                        65 grain v-max usually works great in 6x45
                        Try a stick powder like h-322 or 8208
                        6x45 can shoot under moa with right load
                        My 6mmAR shoots half inch and so can a 6x45
                        My bhw 264lbc shot 3/4 inch and I sometimes wish I didn't sell it

Comment

• bj139
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2017

I measured the fired case necks where the bullet does not fit and they are .265", the same as my reloaded rounds with a bullet inserted.

I then thought to measure the case necks where the bullets do fit and they are .270" to .272".

The fact that some of the necks are .272" mean BHW made the barrel correctly.

I think what is happening is with starting loads the brass must be springing back to the resized dimension.

Maybe the case necks should be annealed.

These are all O.D. dimensions.

Comment

• 454bore
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2014

I'd try 26.5 grains 8208 with the 65 grain v max.
                            If it doesn't shoot well I'd be surprised.
                            It's a favorite load for coyotes and fur friendly.
                            There's 16 pages of 6x45 information on the predatormasters forum.
                            It's a good read for 6x45 shooters.
                            I never had to clean my BHW barrel much.
                            They don't fowl easily with their poly bores.
                            I wouldn't use JB paste since the rifling is shallow.

Comment

• 37L1
                              Warrior
                              • Jan 2015

26.3 8208
                              75 V-Max
                              Lake City Brass
                              Fed 205M
                              2760 fps
                              Shoots lights out in my 18" BHW HB and is my go to coyote load.

+ for swaging the primer pockets. Depth is uniform plus you get more strength in the pocket area then if you ream it, IMHO. I have not lost any cases because of loose priming pockets. I also anneal. Agree on the easy to clean poly barrel. Virtually 0 copper fouling. It's a great caliber.
                              Last edited by 37L1; 01-19-2018, 07:50 PM.

Comment

• bj139
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2017

454bore and 37L1:
                                Thanks for the comments.
                                I put about 3 patches with JB paste through the bore. I will not clean often.
                                I did read some of Predatormaster forums on 6x45. I didn't realize there were so many pages of info.
                                I plan to get some XBR-8208. I will order the primer pocket swager.
                                I posted earlier in this thread where I did shoot a 5/16" 5 shot group at 50 yards so I thought this is easy.
                                Not so easy.

Comment

Working...
                                X