X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

Got my barrel in and gas block on last night and just need to put the handguard and VG6 6.5 on tonight and load up 50 or so 70 gr Varmageddons with 24.5 gr of XBR for a function check and break in. Hopefully that will occur tomorrow afternoon weather permitting.

Originally posted by 37L1 View Post
    26.3 8208
    75 V-Max
    Lake City Brass
    Fed 205M
    2760 fps
    Shoots lights out in my 18" BHW HB and is my go to coyote load.

+ for swaging the primer pockets. Depth is uniform plus you get more strength in the pocket area then if you ream it, IMHO. I have not lost any cases because of loose priming pockets. I also anneal. Agree on the easy to clean poly barrel. Virtually 0 copper fouling. It's a great caliber.
    It sure looks slick looking down a shiny new 24" 3P BHW barrel. Thinking more and more that I'll get past my 2900 fps expectations with either XBR or Benchmark
    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• StoneHendge
      Chieftain
      • May 2016

Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• bj139
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2017

Looking good, SH. The barrels look fast.

Do metal mags allow longer COAL than PMags?
        Last edited by bj139; 01-21-2018, 11:05 AM.

Comment

• bj139
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2017

I was out walking the dog and thought suddenly occured to me I used small pistol primers on the original rounds I loaded.
          Since the pistol primers seated easier I decided to switch to small rifle primers.
          The 5/16" inch 5 shot group at 50 yards was shot with small pistol primers.
          The 2 to 3" ten shot groups shot at 100 yards were shot with small rifle primers.
          I had read with more vigorous primers the priming charge can push the bullet and powder out into the bore causing inconsistent ignition.
          I did buy the Lee factory crimp die for 6x45 with my last order since I thought I might have a use for it. Keeping the bullet in place longer could be it.
          I will load some more with pistol primers since I like small groups.

Comment

• 37L1
            Warrior
            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
            I was out walking the dog and thought suddenly occured to me I used small pistol primers on the original rounds I loaded.
            Since the pistol primers seated easier I decided to switch to small rifle primers.
            The 5/16" inch 5 shot group at 50 yards was shot with small pistol primers.
            The 2 to 3" ten shot groups shot at 100 yards were shot with small rifle primers.
            I had read with more vigorous primers the priming charge can push the bullet and powder out into the bore causing inconsistent ignition.
            I did buy the Lee factory crimp die for 6x45 with my last order since I thought I might have a use for it. Keeping the bullet in place longer could be it.
            I will load some more with pistol primers since I like small groups.
            I think you are asking for trouble using small pistol primers in an AR-15 platform. You may want to google "slam-fire" if you don't already know what that is.

I would recommend that you work up a load using small rifle primers with the thicker cups, you won't have much problem finding a load that will shoot bug holes with your 6x45.

Comment

• bj139
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2017

I shot all the rounds with the SPPs. They all fed from a PMag and there were no slam fires.
              I will try to work up an accurate load with SRPs. Maybe crimping will help.

Comment

• bj139
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2017

What would be the next step in finding an accurate load since I shouldn't use pistol primers?

Comment

• 37L1
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2015

What would be the next step in finding an accurate load since I shouldn't use pistol primers?
                  Take some time and work up a load at 100 yards (or more). Start on the low side of some powders/bullets that have been recommended and work your way up in .2/.3 gr. increments. You will find a node that will work for you. If you have a chrony, use it during workup. It will tell you a lot. Be patient, don't be in a hurry.

Comment

• bj139
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2017

I loaded 10 more rounds with small rifle primers. I partially resized the brass by unscrewing the sizing die 1/2 turn.
                    I applied the maximum crimp from the RCBS small base taper crimp seating die.
                    Maybe that will help consistency. There is bright brass all around the neck against the bullet now.
                    I am expecting an order from Midway which includes a Lee factory crimp die.
                    I plan to shoot tomorrow and will post targets when I do.
                    I fed 5 rounds through my 6x45 and the first one had difficult ejection. The others ejected easily.

Comment

• Old dog new tricks
                      Unwashed
                      • Dec 2017

I have a 6x45 in a T/C contender h322 with 60 gr Sierra hp shoots one hole groups at 100yds

Comment

• 37L1
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2015

I loaded 10 more rounds with small rifle primers. I partially resized the brass by unscrewing the sizing die 1/2 turn.
                        I applied the maximum crimp from the RCBS small base taper crimp seating die.
                        Maybe that will help consistency. There is bright brass all around the neck against the bullet now.
                        I am expecting an order from Midway which includes a Lee factory crimp die.
                        I plan to shoot tomorrow and will post targets when I do.
                        I fed 5 rounds through my 6x45 and the first one had difficult ejection. The others ejected easily.
                        I don't crimp my rounds. They shoot great without doing so. YMMV.

Comment

• bj139
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by 37L1 View Post
                          I don't crimp my rounds. They shoot great without doing so. YMMV.
                          I had to look this up. I hope you didn't mean the third definition.
                          YMMV stands for
                          similar
                          YMMV
                          Your Mileage May Vary
                          Internet slang, Forum, Social networking
                          YMMV
                          Your experience may differ
                          Internet slang
                          YMMV
                          You Make Me Vomit
                          Forum, Internet, Book
                          YMMV
                          Yam mild mosaic virus

Comment

• 37L1
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2015

HaHa!

Comment

• StoneHendge
                              Chieftain
                              • May 2016

Well, a good and bad outing yesterday. Did long ladders with both XBR and Benchmark and 70 gr Varmageddons. Seated at COAL of 2.255 which is about 0.045 off the lands. Velocity with both powders was high enough that I think my Magnetto might be on the fritz. But variance was really good across the board ranging from high single digit SDs to high teens with low variance with both powders with the lowest variances at 25.5 gr and 27.0 (max). The best was 27 grains of Benchmark for 3149 sd9/es18 - but throw out a "flyer" and it was sd4/es9. Unfortunately, accuracy for anything wasn't very good - pretty much MOA to 1.5 MOA across the board. The 27 of BM had best promise - two groups of two touching about 1/2" apart with the 5th bringing it to about an inch. Maybe the Magnetto was moving around but it seemed pretty secure to me. Maybe its the upper - has the type of barrel nut where the gas tube goes through a thin hole - maybe its touching. Or maybe it just doesn't like the 70 Varmageddons. Going to make a bunch of sets at different lengths now that my ASC mags have arrived (only 8 days for 3 day priority mail - how's that for service!) and shoots some groups sans Magnetto and also at range to verify velocity. I did have an ejector mark on one of the 5 27 gr BMs, but it is pretty heavily gassed at that point - brass was actually bouncing out of my Caldwell net. An AGB would probably make it go away. At 3150, that 70 grain bullet hits the 1600 fps expansion threshold at 700. If they don't work, onto the 70 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip Varmints and maybe the 80 gr Sierra Blitz Varminters.
                              Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• bj139
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2017

I shot my 6x45 today at 100 yards.
                                Two groups one partial resized and one full resized.
                                55gr Dogtown bullets, 25gr H335, COAL same as factory 223.
                                IMG_20180125_153840 (Medium).jpg

What does all that vertical stringing mean?
                                Horizontal spread looks good on partial resize.

Comment

Working...
                                X