• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IescapedCali
    Warrior
    • Sep 2017

118 MKZ load data?

Has anyone worked up loads for the Cavity Back, 118gr MKZ projectile? I'm currently using a 20" BCA barrel, but am having a serious itch to swap out for the 18" Faxon Group-buy barrel.

Use conditions will range from wintertime 15-35*F Northern Nevada high desert at 4700ft above sea level, to summertime 90+ in similar locations, down to 1500ft above sea level at +\- 100*F. Quarry will most typically be paper, steel, deer, coyotes antelope, etc. (mammals inside 500 yards, while things that don't bleed will be further out).

The website says to use loads for similar weight all-copper solids, so if anyone has a favorite load for something in that range, it's welcome. I did see a couple possibilities on BFT's large list of load data.
  • blltsmth
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2017

28.0 grains of TAC worked in my HOWA mini. Watch your OAL seating depth! Those suckers are plenty long!!

Comment

• s3silver
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

Yes, very long projectiles. I worked up to 31.2 gr CFE223, 22" shilen, 6.5 LBC chamber. No idea on velocity, but charges 31.0 and 31.2 both shot about 1.2", 3 shot groups at 200 yards. Slightly hot, but shot great with 2 holes almost touching, very good vertical also.

I have to warn though that these seem to produce higher pressure earlier. During initial workup, the 30.2 load was too hot for my liking in my other ar, 16" ar stoner, 6.5 grendel chamber. I called it quits a lot sooner with that rifle. Haven't had time to mess with it since. I'm hoping to revisit this soon though, as I like to just have 1 load for both rifles.

Comment

• CavityBackBullets
        Bloodstained
        • Nov 2016

Originally posted by s3silver View Post
        Yes, very long projectiles. I worked up to 31.2 gr CFE223, 22" shilen, 6.5 LBC chamber. No idea on velocity, but charges 31.0 and 31.2 both shot about 1.2", 3 shot groups at 200 yards. Slightly hot, but shot great with 2 holes almost touching, very good vertical also.

I have to warn though that these seem to produce higher pressure earlier. During initial workup, the 30.2 load was too hot for my liking in my other ar, 16" ar stoner, 6.5 grendel chamber. I called it quits a lot sooner with that rifle. Haven't had time to mess with it since. I'm hoping to revisit this soon though, as I like to just have 1 load for both rifles.
        What was the distance to the lands in your 16in AR Stoner?
        Have you checked distance to the lands in that rifle? You may have the bullets stuffed right up into the lands.
        We have not seen reports of higher pressure earlier and have actually found the opposite.
        Do you have a crono so you can give us speeds?

Thank you

Comment

• CavityBackBullets
          Bloodstained
          • Nov 2016

Originally posted by IescapedCali View Post
          Has anyone worked up loads for the Cavity Back, 118gr MKZ projectile? I'm currently using a 20" BCA barrel, but am having a serious itch to swap out for the 18" Faxon Group-buy barrel.

Use conditions will range from wintertime 15-35*F Northern Nevada high desert at 4700ft above sea level, to summertime 90+ in similar locations, down to 1500ft above sea level at +\- 100*F. Quarry will most typically be paper, steel, deer, coyotes antelope, etc. (mammals inside 500 yards, while things that don't bleed will be further out).

The website says to use loads for similar weight all-copper solids, so if anyone has a favorite load for something in that range, it's welcome. I did see a couple possibilities on BFT's large list of load data.
          Which brass, primer and OAL are you planning to use?
          Then I can give you a few starting loads.

Robert

Comment

• IescapedCali
            Warrior
            • Sep 2017

Hornady brass, with Remington SRP, 2.260”. Spoke to the local reloading shop, and settled on Win748, started at 26.5 gr, worked up to 28.6gr in .3gr steps.. Found decent groups at 27.4 and 28gr. Loaded some more to explore in .2gr steps from 27.4 up. Didn’t have a chronograph, but I’ve got that solved for a return visit to the range, possibly tomorrow. Certainly a nterested in other options to explore. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X