• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Randy99CL
    Warrior
    • Oct 2017

Economy Grendel

Took two months to complete because of monetary restrictions. Optics/Mount will be changed according to need.

Bear Creek Arsenal Side-Charging upper with 20" 5R fluted heavy barrel. $301 with Vet discount.
    Ruger AR-Lower Elite (with 452 trigger) $219

Mueller 8.5-25x44 Tactical Mil-Dot scope $136 (on sale)
    Redfield SPR 1" Tactical Mount $19.88 (Cabelas closeout, wish I'd bought more!)

C-Prod 10-round magazine $12
    GrovTec 5/8-24 thread protector $7

Total is just under $700 (ignoring shipping, tax, fees).
    AR1C.jpgAR4C.jpgAR16C.jpg
    Last edited by Randy99CL; 01-10-2018, 07:05 AM.
    "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Nicely shopped and built, Randy. Please let us know how she shoots, as several of us are interested in how the BCA Grendel barrels perform.

Are you still considering casting your own bullets for the Grendel?
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Randy99CL
      Warrior
      • Oct 2017

Hi Nuggin!

Yes, I've been planning ahead for months and buying pieces/parts as I am able. I'm living on a tiny VA pension and don't have much extra. Wish I didn't have to buy food, I'd rather spend my money on fun stuff! LOL

I'm starting from ground zero here. Bought the Rock Chucker kit and Hornady dies last month, picking up a Harbor Freight work (reloading) bench soon. Bought some bullets and cases, need powder and primers before I can start to load. Money is tight already this month, may not start reloading until next.
      Now that the bigger expenses are taken care of things will progress quickly. Bullet casting doesn't cost a fortune and is next on the "to do" list. I've found molds for 115g and 125g .264 bullets.

Edit: OK, haven't bought any ammo so haven't fired weapon. Missed out on AG when I didn't have the money and have come close to ordering some Wolf but decided I'd rather put that money into components to load myself.
      I will write of my findings as things progress. I'm hoping that BCA barrel is accurate.
      Last edited by Randy99CL; 01-09-2018, 11:50 PM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Good looking Rifle Randy!

Comment

• earlwb
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2017

it is looking quite good. it came out really nice too.
          I look forward to hearing about how it does at the range too.

Comment

• druu
            Unwashed
            • Jan 2018

Looks good I'm attempting to do the same thing as I can afford it and hope it doesn't take too long, hope you get yours out soon.

Comment

• bj139
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2017

Randy, your rifle looks very nice.
              Can you post what 0.265 bullet mold you found?
              I especially like the thread protector.
              I recently bought a few thread protectors for some barrels and was just going naked threads on most of my barrels before.
              I still have to try out the one muzzle brake I bought with a barrel. They tell me the blast is pretty strong.

Comment

• Randy99CL
                Warrior
                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                Randy, your rifle looks very nice.
                Can you post what 0.265 bullet mold you found?
                I especially like the thread protector.
                I recently bought a few thread protectors for some barrels and was just going naked threads on most of my barrels before.
                I still have to try out the one muzzle brake I bought with a barrel. They tell me the blast is pretty strong.

The Noe mold is the most interesting, 125g and with or without gas check. $99 for a 5 cavity mold isn't bad.
                Edit: BTW, this mold was designed by forum member Von Gruff.

Not long ago I was shooting at the local indoor range and a woman opened up an AR in the lane next to me. I was stunned by how loud it was.
                I don't need the recoil reduction and decided I'd rather send the noise and flash downrange so I replaced my hider with the thread protector. That GrovTec is really nice, perfect fit and finish, and it is only $6.06 at Midsouth. https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...-24-x-point750
                Last edited by Randy99CL; 01-10-2018, 05:18 PM.

Comment

• bj139
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2017

Wouldn't you want a gas check bullet for the Grendel?

Comment

• Randy99CL
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2017

I'm not interested in the old cast bullet technology where you're messing with lubes and keeping them slow for plinking.

Powder coating has completely changed the game. It's easy to do, inexpensive, and lets us push them close to 2500fps. They can almost be substituted for jacketed bullets.
                    I'm thinking the 125g for hogs and steel as far away as they're accurate. The motivation is that they will only cost a penny or two per bullet instead of a quarter each (and up).
                    I'm planning on casting the 55g .224 bullets too. Dirt cheap for close range targets and plinking.

Comment

• bj139
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2017

I bought the Lee mold for 22 cal bullets but have not tried it yet.

I have only cast bullets for 8x56 Hungarian since Lee had a mold specifically for this odd bore size.

They worked fine for plinking with a gas check. I may have to try powder coating.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                        Chieftain
                        • Oct 2016

8x56 H? Seriously, you guys never cease to make me wish I knew you better! There’s got to be a story with that one?
                        Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Randy99CL
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                          I may have to try powder coating.
                          I've watched probably 100 videos and learned just about everything I need to get going.
                          The guys doing the PC say that they are actually jacketed bullets...with a polymer jacket.
                          And once you're set up it makes sense to do as many as you can; I plan to cast 9mm, 40 cal, 6.5, .224 and later .357.

Comment

• Timmy2Knives
                            Bloodstained
                            • Jun 2017

Well done sir. Nothing wrong with budget ARs these days. The market has really improved from 10-15 years ago. QC may be less consistent, but as long service is good, that is acceptable risk to me. Enjoy your new toy!

Need to post pics of my budget 18" build, but don't have any yet... somewhat similar to yours.

Bear Creek Arsenal Side-Charging upper w/ BCG $140.
                            Bear Creek Arsenal type II 6.5 Grendel bolt $60.
                            Classic Firearms (BCA) 18" SS 5R fluted heavy barrel $110.
                            Superlative Arms bleed-off adjustable gas block & tube $100.
                            Fieldsport clone of MI 12" M-Lok lightweight hand guard $65.
                            A2 birdcage flash hider - FREE parts bin.
                            UPPER = $475

Joe Bobs blank (no roll mark) enhanced billet lower $110.
                            POF 3.5 lb straight trigger with KNS anti-rotation pins $120.
                            Lower parts kit - FREE from parts bin.
                            Magpul MOE rifle stock $50.
                            Mil-spec rifle buffer, tube, and spring $30.
                            Magpul MOE grip $15.
                            LOWER = $325

Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 BDC scope - FREE gift.
                            ebay no-name 1 piece cantilever mount $15.
                            ebay A2 style 45* offset back-up sights $15.
                            OPTIC = $30

TOTAL (with freebies) = $800

Freebies are kind of cheating, but I don't like rules!
                            Last edited by Timmy2Knives; 01-11-2018, 01:30 PM.

Comment

• bj139
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
                              8x56 H? Seriously, you guys never cease to make me wish I knew you better! There’s got to be a story with that one?
                              The story is $90 for a good condition straight pull rifle.
                              Cartridges are hard to find but Lee made the mold so it is affordable to shoot with cast bullets.
                              I seem to remember the alternative in jacketed bullets is to run some .338 bullets through a .329 sizer.
                              Certainly you can appreciate collecting antique miltary rifles, I think. Maybe not.
                              Last edited by bj139; 01-11-2018, 03:43 PM. Reason: Correcting bullet diameters

Comment

Working...
                              X