• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Azgeek
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2015

New Upper Build Questions

Finally replacing my old Double Star upper with 1-9 twist Shaw barrel circa 2008. I got a smoking deal on a Proof carbon fiber 20" 1-8 during the Holiday sales at the core of the new build. Trying to keep the weight down this time around. My questions are as follows:

1. Assuming I should go with an adjustable gas block even though I will not be shooting suppressed in the immediate future. If so, whats best for the Grendel these days?
    2. Looking for a light-weight, free-float rail system. Got to clear a .850 gas bock OD so keep that in mind. Any suggestions?
    3. Should I consider any type of recoil tuning stuff such as JP SCS & VMOS bolt carrier? If maybe just upgrade my recoil spring?

Thanks and Happy New Year to all!
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

1. Assuming I should go with an adjustable gas block even though I will not be shooting suppressed in the immediate future. If so, whats best for the Grendel these days?
    2. Looking for a light-weight, free-float rail system. Got to clear a .850 gas bock OD so keep that in mind. Any suggestions?
    3. Should I consider any type of recoil tuning stuff such as JP SCS & VMOS bolt carrier? If maybe just upgrade my recoil spring?

1.). The 20” 6.5 Grendel with rifle length gas system is about optimum for the 6.5 Grendel and don’t normally require an adjustable gas block unless using a suppressor. I put a JP adjustable gas block on my 20” Shilen and have never touched the AGB since the first time I set it. I’ve shot 85 grain to 123 grain 6.5 Grendel ammunition and has been gtg.

2.). I used an ALG defense EMR V-0 and it is pretty light. There are so many hand guards on the market it is bewildering. Odin sell a lot of package deals, barrel, bcg, gas block and hand guard. Odin gets good reviews

3.) If you decide to use an adjustable gas block I think JP are gtg but there are so many on the market I can’t keep track of the current best. If you do use an AGB you can adjust the gas to work with any spring and buffer combination.

Personally I have never used the SCS. With a 20” 6.5 Grendel a carbine buffer tube, carbine spring and buffer or rifle length tube, spring and rifle buffer should be gtg.
    Last edited by VASCAR2; 01-10-2018, 11:15 PM.

Comment

• Azgeek
      Bloodstained
      • Aug 2015

Thanks Vascar2. The gas block OD on the barrel is .875 - my bad.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

You’ll just need to check the spec’s on the specific hand guard to ensure it fits over your gas block. There are just to many options to make blanket statements what will work. I know ALG Defense and most reputable manufactures have good diagrams on demensions for their hand guards. Most times with .750 barrels and the small profile gas blocks fit is better than it used to be.

Comment

• StoneHendge
          Chieftain
          • May 2016

Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Crusty
            Warrior
            • Dec 2017

I think the OdinWorks AGB is a good part. The actual stem which regulates the gas is made from Inconel which can stand up to the heat better than steel and it has detents for each gas setting which insures that it won't move yet is still easily adjusted from the front. I even made a tool from a long allen wrench to adjust it and it lives in my handgrip plug for quick gas adjustment. It was a bit loose on my barrel and I had gas leakage until I put it on again using blue Loctite as a sealant.
            I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• Azgeek
              Bloodstained
              • Aug 2015

The rail will be the last thing I get. Worst case, I should be able to temporarily use the Daniel Defense off my old upper as I believe its the same OD gas block configuration. We shall see. I'm really interested in determining if the claims Proof makes about their barrels are true. If they suck accuracy wise, I'll be the first to say so. Be happy to keep those who are interested in the loop.

Comment

• Azgeek
                Bloodstained
                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
                Call Proof and tell them you want to talk about set up - they will be more than happy to go over it with you. I did so with my Proof CF Creedmoor barrel my muzzle movement isn’t much more than my 22” JP barreled Grendel with JP Op system provided I have a solid position. They will recommend a Superlative Arms clamp on bleed of gas block and a JP Operating system if you want to spend the money. VMOS not necessary - LMOS carrier and standard weight SCS with alternate spring pack should get it cycling like butter
                I've got standard BCG's coming out the ying yang. Maybe just the SCS with alternative springs for now?

Comment

• StoneHendge
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2016

Originally posted by Azgeek View Post
                  The rail will be the last thing I get. Worst case, I should be able to temporarily use the Daniel Defense off my old upper as I believe its the same OD gas block configuration. We shall see. I'm really interested in determining if the claims Proof makes about their barrels are true. If they suck accuracy wise, I'll be the first to say so. Be happy to keep those who are interested in the loop.
                  The bad thing about Proof barrels is they let you know how much the shooter sucks. This was a classic StoneHendge pull the fourth shot towards the bullseye.

4B37AA15-8DCD-4CA2-918D-1EC66D61AD34.jpeg

This is my favorite. Really had me scratching my head. Turns out the bipod mount was loose so I was loading the bipod to the right side for the 3 left shots and vice versa for the 2 on the right. The left/right dispersion was random, so there was no need to choke. The tear in the upper right quadrant is from a staple in the backboard.

7E080815-1D89-4818-8E7A-B7060DB143E2.jpeg

I don’t think there are a lot of barrels that will have you knowing something is wrong with the rest of your rifle after a 1/2” 5 shot group.
                  Last edited by StoneHendge; 01-11-2018, 03:28 AM.
                  Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• NugginFutz
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

The bad thing about Proof barrels is they let you know how much the shooter sucks. This was a classic StoneHendge pull the fourth shot towards the bullseye.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10739[/ATTACH]

This is my favorite. Really had me scratching my head. Turns out the bipod mount was loose so I was loading the bipod to the right side for the 3 left shots and vice versa for the 2 on the right. The left/right dispersion was random, so there was no need to choke. The tear in the upper right quadrant is from a staple in the backboard.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10740[/ATTACH]
                    That is some tasty shooting, SH.

Now, if only we could get you some counseling for this iCrisis you seem to be having...
                    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• StoneHendge
                      Chieftain
                      • May 2016

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
                      That is some tasty shooting, SH.

Now, if only we could get you some counseling for this iCrisis you seem to be having...
                      I got some fantastic therapy yesterday!

A42ACC2C-197D-4F9F-A85E-739E2B3C0886.jpeg
                      Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• NugginFutz
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

I got some fantastic therapy yesterday!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10741[/ATTACH]
                        Been looking at those, lately, as well.

Nothing gained from Apple products, these days, that others cannot do. The only thing about AndroidOS I cannot abide by is the fact that Google Play is still using the end user as their front line Malware detection scheme. Far too many instances of apps with ill intent.
                        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Azgeek
                          Bloodstained
                          • Aug 2015

Great StoneHenge. Thanks for setting the bar so high. Now I have to worry about something as trivial as shooting skills on top of everything else!

Comment

• StoneHendge
                            Chieftain
                            • May 2016

Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• tracker12
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2017

SH
                              Is your Proof steel or Carbon?
                              AR's make shooting fun again!