Clear All
  • Bambamzx10
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2017

Barrel length

• JASmith
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2014

Depends on how much hiking one does before taking the shot. Some folks like longer barrels and they work fine if the walk is short.

Others hike a fair bit, so shorter, lighter barrels work better.

Folks like LRRPF52 routinely hit steel beyond 1,000 yards with 16” and sometimes shorter barrels.
    shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• sschefer
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2018

If you stay in the 1/8 to 1/9 twist rate, a 18 will easily get you out to 1000 yards with the right optics and ballistics knowledge. You won't have much left after that as far as impact is concerned by you can certainly put a clean hole in paper and maybe take out a small varmint.

Comment

• biodsl
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2011

How long is "long range"? Also, at what elevation are you likely to be shooting? I see you're in Gettysburg at around 600 feet.

A 123gr Hornady ELDM traveling 2500fps at standard barometric pressure begins going transsonic at around 775 yards. It's subsonic by 1000 yards. This transition can be a problem for certain bullets (not necessarily the ELDM) particularly in a slower twist barrel. While it true LRRPF52 uses his 16" barrel with success at 1000, he's doing this at 6,000 feet above sea level with a 1:7.5 twist barrel.

If your goal is 600 yard and in, a 16" barrel is likely all you'll need. For anything longer, I'd suggest a 20" with a 1:8 twist for geography under 2,000 in elevation.
        Last edited by biodsl; 01-12-2018, 04:08 AM.
        Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Bambamzx10
          Unwashed
          • Dec 2017

I’d definitely like to get at least 1000 yards. But I’m very new to the whole long distance, and I know there is a whole lot of things to consider at that range. Probably won’t do to much hiking to shoot. Any suggestions on barrels? I’ve read good thing about Odin barrels. When you all built your guns what did you start with? Lower, upper, barrel?

Comment

• GaCop
            Bloodstained
            • Apr 2017

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
            How long is "long range"? Also, at what elevation are you likely to be shooting? I see you're in Gettysburg at around 600 feet.

A 123gr Hornady ELDM traveling 2500fps at standard barometric pressure begins going transsonic at around 775 yards. It's subsonic by 1000 yards. This transition can be a problem for certain bullets (not necessarily the ELDM) particularly in a slower twist barrel. While it true LRRPF52 uses his 16" barrel with success at 1000, he's doing this at 6,000 feet above sea level with a 1:7.5 twist barrel.

If your goal is 600 yard and in, a 16" barrel is likely all you'll need. For anything longer, I'd suggest a 20" with a 1:8 twist for geography under 2,000 in elevation.
            Good info. Glad I chose a 20" barrel for 1k shooting here in Georgia. My friend's 1k range is at 382 feet above MSL.

Comment

Working...
            X