• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

6.5 Grendel barrel comparison

There is always a lot of discussions on this forum concerning barrel lengths and their advantages and disadvantages. I decided to give a visual and description comparisons of my 16” Faxon Group Buy build, my 18” Faxon Group Buy build and my 20” Shilen DCM/Match profile barrel build.

Here is a photo of my 18” Faxon standing next to my 16” Faxon. The sliding but stocks are pulled out all the way so really the only difference is the barrel length.

CDB73BD4-EE9F-4380-BF58-3F54AB64F097 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/150966264@N06/]

Here is a picture of my 18” Faxon standing next to my 20” Shilen.

FDE27B74-2FF7-4EE8-9862-4904229E3786 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/150966264@N06/]

Now some physical dimensions.

Faxon 16” GB barrel, Rousch sports 10” Keymod handguard, same A-2 grip, same DS Arms six position collapsible stock as on 18” Faxon. Scope Vortex Diamondback 4-12X40 in Warne 20 MOA Mount. Weighed with empty ten round E-Lander mag.

Overall length 35 1/2” weight 8 pounds by my scales.

Faxon 18” GB barrel, ALG Defense 12” EMR V-0 hand guard, Scope Tasco 2.5-10X44 in RRA mount. Same A-2 grip and stock as the 16”. Weighed with empty ten round E-Lander mag.

Overall length 37 1/4” weight 8 pounds. Flash hider and crush washer length 1 7/8”

Shilen 20” DCM Match profile barrel, Houge over molded 12 3/8” hand guard. Vortex 6.5-20X50 scope in Aadmount 20 MOA mount. Psa six position milspec stock and A-2 grip. weighed with E-Lander ten round empty mag.

Overall length 38 1/16”, weight 9.2 pounds.

Part of why I was posting this information is to show how selecting different components can affect the overall length and balance of the rifles. Your own physical characteristics determine which feels just right in your hands. The 18” Faxon is almost as long as a 20” barrel with a plain recessed target crown. The only difference is 13/16 or roughly 1” longer for a 20” barrel compared to the 18” barrel with A-2 FH.

The lower receivers are basically the same except my 16”Faxon has an H-2 buffer whereas my 18” Faxon has the carbine buffer. The heavier Rousch rail and buffer off set the weight difference in barrel weights between 16” & 18”.

I can shoot any of these three off hand but I have short arms with 31”-32” sleeves. The 16” Faxon feels slightly better off hand and balances just a little better for me than the 18”. The 20” Shilen is definitely nose heavy and the balance is well forward of the balance point of the 16” Faxon build.

For a do everything, with a light hand guard, I’m pretty impressed with the 18” faxon. As much as I like my 16” 6.5 Grendel AR-15’s (I have two) if I could only have one 6.5 Grendel I’d probably pick the 18” Faxon.

I like all four of my 6.5 Grendel AR-15’s and don’t plan on going down to one 6.5 Grendel. I tried to choose a lighter less expensive hand guard on my 20” Shilen. The Shilen is mostly shot from the bench or prone. I could easily use my Shilen for hunting and shooting varmints at longer range. I used the Shilen on a prairie dog shoot in Wyoming and it worked great.

I think the crux of making a decision on which barrel and components to use is to make a list of priorities. The intented range most often used, weight handling, sustained fire. Light weight barrels heat up quickly, not an issue for hunting but might be in rifle matches or CQB drills. Any accessories to be mounted dictating the need for rail space. Will suppressors be used or will there be a need for adjustable gas blocks.

Variety is the spice of life and 6.5 Grendel rifles have a way of multiplying.
    Last edited by VASCAR2; 01-11-2018, 09:40 PM.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Here is a link from 2016 where a forum member and I chronographed 16”, 18”, 20” and 24” 6.5 Grendel AR-15’s with a Magneto Speed Chronograph. These velocities are comparable to what can generally be expected. Some barrels are faster and some barrels might produce lower velocities than our barrels. Different lots of ammo can also produce different velocities from lot to lot.

A Friend and I conducted a chronograph test today with our 6.5 Grendel AR-15's and a Magneto Speed Chronograph. The temperature was 76 degrees, overcast skies, Barometric Pressure 30.05, Humidity 78 %, Dew Point 68 Degrees at 350' ASL. We shot at paper targets set at approximately 110 yards. The first 6.5 Grendel was a
    Last edited by VASCAR2; 01-11-2018, 10:16 PM.

Comment

• tracker12
      Warrior
      • Dec 2017

Based on your tests I am glad I selected the group buy 18" for my Grendel.
      AR's make shooting fun again!

Comment

Working...
      X