• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WildWorm
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2018

Barrel trouble

Hello all...yup I'm a noob to this forum but not to shooting or ARs. I recently picked up an AR 15, at a gun show, chambered in the 6.5 Grendel thus I am here asking a question. When I got home, as I always do, I gave it a major going over. I came to find the barrel was loose. Not just loose but easily turned by hand. The upper is a LAR OPS-6.5 and I have no idea what the hand guard and barrel are (company wise that is). I have been doing much digging on the LAR upper to find little that would help me. I'm use to an AR barrel being placed in and a lug going over to tighten it down. This however is not so. It has no ring on it and only screws into the hand guard. My question is do I need a barrel lug for this and what can I go to make sure the barrel stay on and if need be can I swap barrel/hand guard. hope the pictures help. fist pic is of the barrel. second pic is of the inner of the hand guard you can see down into where the barrel is suppose to enter third pic is of the hand guard attachment point (for some reason pic 3 got doubled and I cannot remove it) upload1.jpg upload2.jpg upload3.jpg
    Last edited by WildWorm; 01-11-2018, 10:59 PM.
  • 204 AR
    Warrior
    • Sep 2015

Looks to me like your barrel extension unscrewed from the barrel. You need to take it back where you got it and make them fix it. I've never heard of that happening before.

Comment

• brut28481
      Warrior
      • Mar 2016

Be careful with those Barrel extensions! See my post about the one that exploded on me!

Comment

• bj139
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2017

You may be able to turn the handguard with strap wrench to remove the barrel nut or the tube itself may unscrew then you can use a barrel nut wrench to remove the barrel nut and get the extension off the receiver. I am not sure how the barrel extension is fastened in place but others here could tell you more.

Comment

• Djgrendel
          Warrior
          • Feb 2016

Hope you can take that back for full refund. Looks to me that the first pic is showing external threads. No barrel extension in place. I would be calling the seller immediately.
          Yard work is not an excuse!

Comment

• Drillboss
            Warrior
            • Jan 2015

Was there a gas block and gas tube included on this assembly?

Comment

• Bwild97
              Warrior
              • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Drillboss View Post
              Was there a gas block and gas tube included on this assembly?
              Good Question, you beat me to it!!

WW, your barrel and barrel extension have separated! It's definitely not supposed to happen! Since you purchased this firearm at a "Gun Show" I'm willing to bet that "all sales are final" is written somewhere on your receipt, if you even got one. I hope you didn't have to put up a bunch of money for that "Soup Sandwich!" At least you got a nice Side Charging upper!!

By the way: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...-S-amp-H-37-50
              Last edited by Bwild97; 01-12-2018, 09:19 AM.

Comment

• Tex Nomex
                Warrior
                • Dec 2017

A loose barrel extension is a barrel manufacturing defect. If you can determine the barrel manufacturer, they should replace it N/C.

If that's a no go, then consult a gunsmith about your current extenison-less barrel being worth the money of having a new extension installed. Extensions themselves are inexpensive ($15-$35), but the labor to properly reinstall the extension might not be worth it on a cheap barrel.

FYI: The LAR uppers are no longer made, but LAR parts are virtually identical to the BCA side charging parts. So if you ever need another handle or plug, those will fit.

I raided my parts bin. This is how your parts fit together:

BarrelAssembly (Medium).jpg
                Last edited by Tex Nomex; 01-12-2018, 03:48 PM. Reason: Added photo
                "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
                -- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Comment

• WildWorm
                  Unwashed
                  • Jan 2018

Great...well I plan on working some of this out this weekend and see what happens. I'm thinking a new handguard anyways. Guess I'll know more after handguard comes off. Also guessing barrel is not usable anymore.

Comment

• bj139
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2017

Originally posted by WildWorm View Post
                    Great...well I plan on working some of this out this weekend and see what happens. I'm thinking a new handguard anyways. Guess I'll know more after handguard comes off. Also guessing barrel is not usable anymore.
                    I think the barrel must be usable. It looks like someone tried to take the barrel off by unscrewing it instead of unscrewing the handguard.
                    Try a strap wrench on the handguard. Right handed threads.

Comment

• WildWorm
                      Unwashed
                      • Jan 2018

Yes I am afraid that it may need to go the way of old yeller...haha...I am planning on changing the hand guard and while I'm at it the barrel. Upper looks really good and bolt has no ware signs that I can tell. Keep the info coming

Comment

• ricsmall
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2014

Once apart snap some pics of threads on barrel. The index pin had to have scarred the threads. Also put up some pics of barrel extension. It might can be salvaged. Heck maybe the indexing pin was never installe correctly and the threads are fine. Keep us posted.
                        Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

Working...
                        X