• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keef
    Warrior
    • Jun 2017

Mean Radian Accuracy Evaluation

It looks very interesting. I've always just shot then eye balled the center of group then adjusted accordingly. I read a big post about it by Molon another site(can we link other sites here?) and really enjoyed it. So my plan is next time the weather is nice, is to shot at least 3 10rd groups/then overlay them. Hopefully will have time to try it with a couple different rifles and ammo and see how good they/me really are.

Also I think it would be interesting data to have if I end up cutting my 16" grendel, and then do it again after cut.

Do you use this system for evaluating your rifles? I even found a phone app so you don't even need math to do it. lol.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I’ve read several of Molon’s articles/threads, he has some good stuff. I’ve never seen the mods have issues with linking to other sites. This site has been hacked a couple of times but as long as a member is in good standing linked to an article like Molon’s I doubt the mods or BFT would have an issue.

I’ve linked to information on accurate shooter and ARF.com and the mods never said anything.

Comment

• Keef
      Warrior
      • Jun 2017

Cool. Here is link to table of contents.

Firearm Discussion and Resources from AR-15, AK-47, Handguns and more! Buy, Sell, and Trade your Firearms and Gear.

Here is link to specific post.
      Firearm Discussion and Resources from AR-15, AK-47, Handguns and more! Buy, Sell, and Trade your Firearms and Gear.

I found it to very informative and entertaining.

Caution, you may never look at the F word the same again.��

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Keef View Post
        It looks very interesting. I've always just shot then eye balled the center of group then adjusted accordingly. I read a big post about it by Molon another site(can we link other sites here?) and really enjoyed it. So my plan is next time the weather is nice, is to shot at least 3 10rd groups/then overlay them. Hopefully will have time to try it with a couple different rifles and ammo and see how good they/me really are.

Also I think it would be interesting data to have if I end up cutting my 16" grendel, and then do it again after cut.

Do you use this system for evaluating your rifles? I even found a phone app so you don't even need math to do it. lol.
        Keef:

In fact, I have used Mean Radius in evaluating accuracy performance. First, it needs to be shot at distances longer than 100 yards. I prefer 300 yards but it may be possible at 200. The farther out you go, the easier it is to determine a statistical center of a group. 100 will be too close for an accurate determination of a group center. You need to see a dispersion with your shots or you will not be able to get an accurate measurement on every single round you fired.

When it was all said and done, measuring extreme vertical and horizontal then dividing by two came out so close as to render the time spent with figuring out a MR to be of no practical value. Also, if you record extreme vertical and horizontal, you get a better idea of the shape of the groups -- if they are oblong, round, or stringing in a line. A basic size and shape give a person better information than a super precise size.

Just note that I did throw out shots that I called out (and went to that call).

LR55

Comment

• Keef
          Warrior
          • Jun 2017

Thanks for the input, that makes sense. I am getting much better at calling too. Luckily I'm a bad enough shot to get data at 100yrds. ��. Looking forward to trying again at longer distance.

Here are two I tried to do this morning while it was kinda warm and not raining. It wasn't too cold but I didn't beat the rain.

Edl at 100yrd 10rds shot from steady table but no sand bags. No waiting, back on target shoot.
          Screenshot_20180113-095459-843x1500.png
          I'm pretty sure the three far left are me not rifle.

Wolf at 100yrds twenty one rounds. It was raining at this point and I was kinda rushing. I've done better with it in the past.
          Screenshot_20180113-095321-843x1500.png
          It was a fun morning.
          Last edited by Keef; 01-13-2018, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X