308 vs 30-06 family accuracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stokesrj View Post
    Yes the 6.5X284 does burn barrels but for a hunting rifle I don't get to upset about that. If you think that is a barrel burner, check out my 6.5 STW. I had one built quite a while ago on a Prarie Gun Works Titanium action with a 26" PacNor barrel. Mine was serial number 2 and Lane's was serial number 1 since he originated the STW line of cartridges. I have only 500 or so rounds down the bore and the throat is already .003" eroded. But it has put two Boone and Crocket sheep in the books, load development is done and it will shoot an honest 1/4 MOA with several loads. And it is the hammer of Thor on every animal I've shot with it.
    Bob
    Bob,
    Your point is very well made Sir, a hunting rifle would last a LOT longer than a match rifle in the 6.5x284 and one I did not even consider the annual rounds "most" typical hunter only fire a box and a half annually at best at that rate. One is looking at 10 years versus 3-6 months for a dedicated match shooter whom normally fires 88 to 100 rounds per session. Nice catch on those facts.
    Reguards
    Mike

Comment

I have a 6.5mm Obermeyer barrel with the 1-8.75 twist mounted up on a Defiance Machine Defender action in 260 Remington. Boots is correct that it shoots the 140-144 grain bullets just fine, and also shoots the 123 grain Scenar bullets fabulously well. I switch back and forth depending more on availability rather than how they shoot because both shoot equally well. With my 260 the velocity I get, the bullet doesn't go transonic till way past (1500 yards or so) any where I want to shoot.

I went with that cartridge after considering the 6.5-284, 6.5-08 AI because after all the effort, and increased throat erosion the plain old 260 shot way further than I needed without all the extra work to form brass, or without having yet another rifle that eats barrels incredibly fast. I considered how far I really thought I would need to shoot. If I only need to shoot 1200 yards, why do I need a rifle that shoots 1700 yards and eats barrels?
      Last edited by Guest; 01-01-2012, 02:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by noone View Post
        I have a 6.5mm Obermeyer barrel with the 1-8.75 twist mounted up on a Defiance Machine Defender action in 260 Remington. Boots is correct that it shoots the 140-144 grain bullets just fine, and also shoots the 123 grain Scenar bullets fabulously well. I switch back and forth depending more on availability rather than how they shoot because both shoot equally well. With my 260 the velocity I get, the bullet doesn't go transonic till way past (1500 yards or so) any where I want to shoot.

I went with that cartridge after considering the 6.5-284, 6.5-08 AI because after all the effort, and increased throat erosion the plain old 260 shot way further than I needed without all the extra work to form brass, or without having yet another rifle that eats barrels incredibly fast. I considered how far I really thought I would need to shoot. If I only need to shoot 1200 yards, why do I need a rifle that shoots 1700 yards and eats barrels?
        Thank you noone
        good to know

Comment

• BjornF16
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

Noone, tell us more about your Defiance Machine Defender rig...did you build your rifle yourself?
          LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
          Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

+1 on the .260 Rem for barrel life and a match gun, versus barrel life not being an issue with an ultra-light hunting rifle. With both, you can have the barrels melonited once confirmed that they shoot or before, which will increase the throat/barrel/accuracy life about 30%. It's hard to argue with .264 Win Mag performance, but within 500yds, the .260 will be more than sufficient. Switching to Hodgon's powders in the .260 took it from a consistent .75 MOA shooter down to .4 MOA for me, as I was using Vihavuori 500 series before that. Hope I didn't burn my throat prematurely...

I'm actually getting ready to take a .260 hunting on Friday, as I couldn't get a permit for my Grendel in time (I'm in Finland for the holidays.).

Bob, do you think that Ackleying the .260 helps with accuracy?

Comment

I took Obermeyer's recommendation and bought a 1-8.75 twist barrel from him. It stabilizes the 142 grain bullets from Sierra/Nosler that I have used just fine in my 260 Remington. The barrel is about 27 inches long, and I get higher velocity than I expected from the round without any pressure signs, and while staying well below published maximum charges. I think I just got a fast barrel. In any case, Boots is right about that twist rate working...it does very well in my rifle.

Rifle is:
              Defiance Machine Defender Action
              Obermeyer barrel
              Manners stock
              Badger bottom metal
              Accuracy International magazine system

It shoots great!

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                +1 on the .260 Rem for barrel life and a match gun, versus barrel life not being an issue with an ultra-light hunting rifle. With both, you can have the barrels melonited once confirmed that they shoot or before, which will increase the throat/barrel/accuracy life about 30%. It's hard to argue with .264 Win Mag performance, but within 500yds, the .260 will be more than sufficient. Switching to Hodgon's powders in the .260 took it from a consistent .75 MOA shooter down to .4 MOA for me, as I was using Vihavuori 500 series before that. Hope I didn't burn my throat prematurely...

I'm actually getting ready to take a .260 hunting on Friday, as I couldn't get a permit for my Grendel in time (I'm in Finland for the holidays.).

Bob, do you think that Ackleying the .260 helps with accuracy?
                I'm a fan of Akley and his improved chambers. I however chose to go with a 6.5 Creedmoor instead of the .260 AI. The reason I did was because I didn't need the added powder space as I'm more concerned with recoil and barrel life as I use it for match work. And for hunting I have my 6.5 STW.
                So far I really like my 6.5 Creedmoor, it shoots less than .5 MOA at 300 yards with factory loads. All handloads I've tried in it so far have been even better, it seems everything shoots .5 MOA or better.
                Bob

Comment

Is your Creedmoor a bolt gun or auto-loader?

Comment

Working...
                  X