Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No HeadSpace Gauges, Whats The Likelyhood I'll Blow MY Face Off?

Quote Originally Posted by bj139 View Post
    Break in needed with new parts.
    Lube it and shoot it and it will work better after a while.
    Accuracy is about what I and others here have experienced with rack grade barrels.
    Accuracy will be better with handloads.
    Agreed.

I've thrown together 8 or 9 AR's now, and none have have the tight bolt clearances, going into lock up and/or in the bolt carrier itself that this gun has. I suppose that a good thing!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kcb38 View Post
    Being under gassed seems to be a fairly common concern with BA barrels. They admittedly use smaller gas ports than other manufacturers. I'm hoping I don't have that issue with my new 20" rifle gas barrel. I couldn't measure the port precisely but it seems to be in the 0.08X range which might be a little on the small side. I guess time will tell. Oddly enough the only other BA barrel I have might be slightly over gassed, given the fact that the rifle ejects at about 2 o'clock.

Kirk

I drilled out the gas port on a 18", rifle length gas, FN barrel I got from PSA. Took two tries to get it big enough but it's still one of, if not the, most accurate AR's I own.

Apples to Pineapples, I also have one of thier 16" 308 barrels in a M5E1 and it was perfectly gassed right out of the box.

Thanks
    Last edited by Harpoon1; 01-17-2018 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon1 View Post
    Kirk

I drilled out the gas port on a 18", rifle length gas, FN barrel I got from PSA. Took two tries to get it big enough but it's still one of, if not the, most accurate AR's I own.
    Interesting. I have a 20" FN barrel from PSA as well but I haven't had a chance to really test its accuracy. Function wise it's been fine but I am looking forward to see how well it will group.
    - Kirk -

Quote Originally Posted by kcb38 View Post
    Interesting. I have a 20" FN barrel from PSA as well but I haven't had a chance to really test its accuracy. Function wise it's been fine but I am looking forward to see how well it will group.
    Also have a new FN 15, with 20" barrel that looks greats and runs fine, eats everything. However, you couldn't hit the water with it, shooting it out of a boat! The bore looks prsitine, fantastic, and I can't find anything obviously wrong with it but the accuracy is pathetic. Im going to tear it down and give it a good going over sooner or later.

I've yet to get a 18" barrel with a rifle length gas system that I think is gassed properly. It's like they all use the same size gas port as a 20" barrel but, with only half the dwell time! Same thing today. Took another PSA 18" barrel, one of their "value" line, nitride in and out, and it's short stroking with Magtech 77 OTM. Getting ready to take the drill to it now.

Put another 150 rounds through the Grendel today as well. Mostly wolf, banging steel. Standard buffer and spring and it's breaking in nicely. Still had the occasional hiccup and bobble but, much better than the first day. Barrel apparently needs cleaning after only 250 rounds, SST's groups started to open up towards the end.
    Last edited by Harpoon1; Yesterday at 09:40 PM.