Thread: Howa bottom metal (plastic) torque settings

Bloodstained

Howa bottom metal (plastic) torque settings

Hi All
    What's everyone's torque settings?
    I split my bottom metal at only 30 inch pounds, even using some oil to lubricate under the screws so they wouldn't bind on to the composite....
    Anyway, my replacement has arrived, and I'd be keen to find out what people use that doesn't split them....
    Also, I am talking to a fabricator about making a replacement out of aluminium. Will post up on the forum if this progresses....

Wow.

50in#

What stock were you setting this in?

Not trying to be an arse, but are you sure it was in # your torque wrench was set at? Not foot # or Nm?

The splitting of the bottom plate is a known issue, but typically does not happen until over 51"#.

Boyds stocks are milled out of plane - literally the opposite angle that they need to be. There was another aftermarket stock that someone posted about that was the same. I hope it was not a factory stock - the OP was non specific on the make.
    Sticks

Bloodstained
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Wow.

50in#

What stock were you setting this in?

Not trying to be an arse, but are you sure it was in # your torque wrench was set at? Not foot # or Nm?

The splitting of the bottom plate is a known issue, but typically does not happen until over 51"#.

Boyds stocks are milled out of plane - literally the opposite angle that they need to be. There was another aftermarket stock that someone posted about that was the same. I hope it was not a factory stock - the OP was non specific on the make.
    Standard factory stock, and it is inch pounds.....the replacement bottom metal is actually MUCH better quality than the original....

Quote Originally Posted by splashy View Post
    Standard factory stock, and it is inch pounds.....the replacement bottom metal is actually MUCH better quality than the original....
    Keep us up to date with your aluminum query. I would be in for 2 if they are done well, and the price is right. Mention that the mag release needs to be covered or redesigned a bit to prevent accidental release.
    Sticks

Bloodstained
    That wouldn’t be hard to accomplish...

Warrior
    The replacement was "metal" and not plastic?

Bloodstained
    Quote Originally Posted by just_john View Post
    The replacement was "metal" and not plastic?
    Sorry for the confusion. I got a replacement original plastic 'bottom metal'. The new one is heaps better quality than the one that came with the rifle.

Sorry for the confusion. I got a replacement original plastic 'bottom metal'. The new one is heaps better quality than the one that came with the rifle.
    Has the design changed?
    Could you post photos showing where the changes were made?

Bloodstained
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilkus View Post
    Has the design changed?
    Could you post photos showing where the changes were made?
    No changes to the design. Just nice piece. In that the plastic moulded halves seem to actually line up better. The centre join of the moulds has been trimmed off properly. Just neater, better quality than the one that came with the action.

Bloodstained
    No changes to the design. Just nice piece. In that the plastic moulded halves seem to actually line up better. The centre join of the moulds has been trimmed off properly. Just neater, better quality than the one that came with the action.
    If you find just one shooter who is involved in long range shooting accuracy that prefers bottom plastic I’ll hush. Just one is all I’m asking.