• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SightedIn
    Warrior
    • Jun 2016

SWFA SS scope which power advice

Good morning all,

So im set on getting an SWFA SS for a few reasons, but i cant decide on which power to buy, x10, x12, or maybe even a x16
    Heres the details;
    I'm set on this particular scope because im cashed strapped and its the only sub $500 scope I see that has a Mil reticle, decent quality glass, and dependable turrets.
    A friend has x20 and its great, but a tad too much power for my uses.

I'm looking to use it for target work, but with occassional hunting( i know, its not a hunting scope/reticle, but i have to multi task all my rifles duties) at no greater than 500 yards, but at absolute min 100 yards(i hunt the west and all kills have tended to be around or greater than 200 yards)

This will be for my JP 18" barreled grendel

I have used several other scopes on this rifle with all sorts of BDC reticles and now i want to move onto actual Mil dot/mil turrets.

I know SWFA makes variable power too, but they are over $500, i need sub $500

Any thoughts gents?
  • biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

I'd go with the 10x. When you upgrade to a SS 3-15 later (and you should ; ), you can trade it back to SWFA. Or just keep it. Never hurts to have another good scope around.

Not trying to change your mind, but here's an option in the event you hadn't considered it. Comes in mil/mil, 10x for target and 2.5 for hunting. Simple but clean and visible reticle. Durable enough. Illumination for low light. Full Vortex lifetime warranty. I own two SWFA scopes, but this is on my 22" Grendel and is my favorite. If I could just have one scope this would be it.
    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• PVBoom
      Warrior
      • Oct 2017

As much as I agreed with Paul on the SWFA scopes, reconditioned Vortex scopes with their warranty are an outstanding value. The glass should be comparable, and the FOV for hunting at lower powers and in lower light will be worth it.

Comment

• Forrest
        Unwashed
        • Dec 2017

Doesn't the SWFA have a ton more elevation adjustment?

Comment

• bj139
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2017

I have a 10X, a 20X and two 16X SWFA scopes for about $900 total.
          I bought three of them used and one new.
          I think 12X or 16X would be best for you out west with 200+ yard shots.
          People have said the 16X has significantly less optical clarity than the 10X but I don't see it.
          The 20X does have less optical clarity.

Comment

• HowaGrendel
            Bloodstained
            • Sep 2017

look at Athlon line....for 500 or less you have a lot of options....more than 10x for hunting and it would seem to make things harder if you needed to shoot fast....16x is pretty strong for finding that big buck quick at any range...

Comment

• bj139
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Forrest View Post
              Doesn't the SWFA have a ton more elevation adjustment?
              I have read the SWFA SS has more than 120 MOA elevation adjustment.
              I think someone said around 150 MOA.

Comment

• biodsl
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2011

SWFA lists their classic fixed powers as having 120 moa of elevation. You wouldn't need any cant in our mount to pass 1,000 yards. The Vortex I mentioned has 86 moa. A 20 moa base would probably be needed for the goal of 1000 yards near sea level.

I guess I opened the door I shouldn't have with the "why get X scope when you could buy Y". Any of the SS classics are solid scopes and a great value.
                Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Greg Skinner
                  Unwashed
                  • Aug 2016

I would think either the 12x or 16x would work for you. I have 3x-15x SWFA's on 2 different 6.5Gs, a 5x-20x on another and 2 more 3x-15x's on 2 different 300 Blackouts. I put a 16x on a 24" AA Overwatch meant for longer distance shooting and it worked out very well. With the variables I seem to always crank them up to the highest power, anyway, so I figured the 16x fixed would be fine on the Overwatch. If your shots are 100 yards plus you should be good. My old eyes need all the magnification I can get - within reason.

Incidentally, I really like SWFA scopes and the mil quad reticle.
                  s

Comment

• Harpoon1
                    Chieftain
                    • Dec 2017

Super Snipers? Bang for the buck, love them. I've got 2 or 3 10X, 2 or 3 12X, one 16X, one 3-15. My 16X doesn't quite have the resolution the 10's and 12's do. Could be, it's just "my" 16X is a little off. Wouldn't be the first time!
                    I've seen it before, indentical scopes, side by side, and one is slightly better (in one way or another) than the other.

Comment

• FOGII
                      Bloodstained
                      • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Harpoon1 View Post
                      Super Snipers? Bang for the buck, love them. I've got 2 or 3 10X, 2 or 3 12X, one 16X, one 3-15. My 16X doesn't quite have the resolution the 10's and 12's do. Could be, it's just "my" 16X is a little off. Wouldn't be the first time!
                      I've seen it before, indentical scopes, side by side, and one is slightly better (in one way or another) than the other.
                      Harpoon1,

Matches my experience. I have multiple 10X and 12X but only one 16X as the 16X is not nearly as clear, bright, etc. The good points is they hold up tp semi-auto 7.72x51 (FAL and M1A), track well and are basically dependale. I keep a couple in rings to mount on questionable shooting weapons to help with diagnosis.

SightedIn,

My experience is stay with the 10X or 12X, either Mil or MOA as the optical quality of the 16X is markedly inferior. You are not getting click feel or optical quality to effortleesly look through all day but they have been dependable in my experience through tens of thousands of rounds. You're not spending four figures either.

S/F, FOG

Comment

• Clarence
                        Bloodstained
                        • Dec 2015

I have a friend with a 16x. Nice scope; I wouldn't have any problems buying one if I wanted a high power fixed scope. Anything above ~10x is strictly a bench scope, so think carefully about your usage before getting a fixed power.

Clarence

Comment

Working...
                        X