X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bj139
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2017

I still don't have a 6.8 SPC but have ordered two barrels based on the SPC case, the 6x6.8 and the 30 American.
    This is similar to the way 224 Valkyrie is based on the SPC case.
    I don't intend to buy a 6.8 SPC because the 6.5 Grendel is so much better.

Comment

• Tex Nomex
      Warrior
      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
      I still don't have a 6.8 SPC but have ordered two barrels based on the SPC case, the 6x6.8 and the 30 American.
      This is similar to the way 224 Valkyrie is based on the SPC case.
      I don't intend to buy a 6.8 SPC because the 6.5 Grendel is so much better.
      I'm hoping to find that last part to be true. The 6.8 SPC hits hard, but it loses a lot of speed at range. I know of the 30A and 6x68, but haven't shot them. I wouldn't steer anyone toward the 6.8 SPC now. They are great for pigs, though...

Looks like a good bolt, for sure. If that photo is of the actual bolt. Look up the ARPerformance 6.8 bolt.

Are you going BHW for the barrels? Check the chamber before installing. I have one that was cut a bit deep in the shoulders and was actually sitting on the case mouth - giving me a proper head space reading. Once the throat eroded, head space became a huge flattened primer, near kaboom problem... It'll be a great 18" head-crusher when the zombie apocalypse finally arrives.
      Last edited by Tex Nomex; 01-15-2018, 01:47 AM.
      "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
      -- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Comment

• NugginFutz
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Tex Nomex View Post
        Are you going BHW for the barrels? Check the chamber before installing. I have one that was cut a bit deep in the shoulders and was actually sitting on the case mouth - giving me a proper head space reading. Once the throat eroded, head space became a huge flattened primer, near kaboom problem... It'll be a great 18" head-crusher when the zombie apocalypse finally arrives.
        Tex - I have a BHW the was cut the other way (tight chamber) and would not close on a go gauge. I called them and they had me send it in. Problem solved within the month. While yours cannot be solved with a simple touch up with a finish reamer, I’d give them a call and see if they’ll make it good. I’ve yet to hear of them turning anyone back.
        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• bj139
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2017

Tex,
          Did you find a place to hunt pigs near Philadelphia? I live just North near Montgomeryville.

I did buy 3 BHW barrels within the last months because of their clearance sale. These high quality barrels for around $90 are a great deal.

They are all wildcats or nearly so. I only received the 6x45 barrel so far. This is the only one which seems simple to form from 223.

I haven't shot a 6.8 SPC so I can't really judge but the 6.5 Grendel is superbly accurate. I have a 24" heavy barrel 223 and I shoot better with my 16" Grendel.

Comment

• Tex Nomex
            Warrior
            • Dec 2017

On mine, the throat was cut shallow and the shoulders deep, so for the longest time, I thought the chamber was tight. But after the throat eroded a bit, the case mouth would slide up and brass neck got caught in the throat. My extractor wasn't strong enough to hold and I had to drive a cleaning rod down the barrel to free the live cartridge. Sucks. I'd heard of this sort of thing occurring with reloads if the shoulders get pushed back, but with box ammo?! ARRRRRGH! My other 6.8 - heavier, uglier 16" - never had a hiccup.

I had another barrel at the time (20" Ko-tonics?) back when I had money to burn. I just replaced the stinker 18" and moved on. This was years ago, so I'd feel kinda sheepish hitting them up for another barrel now, especially since I'm moving away from 6.8, anyway. And I'm not knocking BHW. I love their barrels. That one was just a dud. I probably would have forgotten it for another couple of years if I hadn't been inventorying to make a parts list for my new 65Grendel build...

I should have used the go/no-go on it, but not sure it would have caught it. Haven't Go/No-go'ed my new 65Grendel, either. I'll never learn...
            "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."

Comment

• LR1955
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2011

Does anyone have any idea if a 223 bolt can be opened up slightly in a small lathe to function with a 6.8 SPC case?
              bj:

I actually got a 5.56 bolt that was opened up to Grendel diameter. It was a prototype from Olympic Arms. Surprisingly, it lasted longer than the Colt 7.62 X 39 and Grendel bolts of that time (not today), before it sheared lugs. I am not sure if they hardened it or not.

So, I know it can be done. The question is if it is worth destroying two perfectly good 5.56 bolts for something that you can be guaranteed will shear lugs.

LR55

Comment

• Tex Nomex
                Warrior
                • Dec 2017

Tex,
                Did you find a place to hunt pigs near Philadelphia? I live just North near Montgomeryville.

I did buy 3 BHW barrels within the last months because of their clearance sale. These high quality barrels for around $90 are a great deal.

They are all wildcats or nearly so. I only received the 6x45 barrel so far. This is the only one which seems simple to form from 223.

I haven't shot a 6.8 SPC so I can't really judge but the 6.5 Grendel is superbly accurate. I have a 24" heavy barrel 223 and I shoot better with my 16" Grendel.
                $90 is an awesome price for BHW barrels! I think my 6.8s were near $300 when I got them.

No place near here to hunt pigs, as far as I know. Until recently, I would spend time with family hunting pork (and some deer) in the AL and GA outback. Due to life changes in the last 2 years, I can't really get down South anymore, so I really have no need to keep my pig guns. So... I'm retiring my 6.8s and trying to decide what kind of shooting to do next. My favorite place around here to shoot was out in Amish country, but that land's no longer available, so I've got some thinking to do.

6.8 is pretty accurate from a decent 18" barrel with good ammo. Hits hard and there's good box hunting ammo for it. I've enjoyed it. This new Grendel build is the result of me looking for a new caliber to shoot and some new land to shoot it on, not necessarily hunting, whenever I can find the time...

Comment

• bj139
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2017

LR:
                  Thanks for the information.
                  I will probably put this on the back burner for now and just buy the NiB bolt carrier group I posted about. I could use it on a 224 Valkyrie if barrels become available.
                  I had intended to try one bolt and mount a dremel with grinding wheel on my 6" lathe toolpost and grind while turning the bolt then clean it up with a carbide bit.
                  It might work. I will post if I try it.

Comment

• bj139
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2017

I just bought the NiB bolt carrier group I previously mentioned.
                    I figured I was running low on BCGs anyway.

Comment

• bj139
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Tex Nomex View Post
                      $90 is an awesome price for BHW barrels! I think my 6.8s were near $300 when I got them.

6.8 is pretty accurate from a decent 18" barrel with good ammo. Hits hard and there's good box hunting ammo for it. I've enjoyed it. This new Grendel build is the result of me looking for a new caliber to shoot and some new land to shoot it on, not necessarily hunting, whenever I can find the time...
                      I actually bought a 6x68 and 30 American barrel which are based on the SPC case.

For the price I figured I would try another cartridge.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

I would just get an LMT 6.8 bolt and be done with it.

It uses an alloy that is better than C158, with a company that has heat-treating and decades of QC experience for military contracts.
                        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                        X