• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smokinggun
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2017

Is this a good Complete Upper?

Hi,

I believe this is my first post so please go easy on me. I am looking at a 6.5 Grendel upper to add to my S&W M&P Optics ready AR15 and am wondering if this is a good one to get and what issues might I run into? I am looking at spending $400 on this. Please see description and pic below.

Thank you,
    Bill

Pre-owned in like new condition: 6.5 Grendel: Complete Anderson upper, 16" M4 profile 1/8 twist, PSA Premium bolt carrier group, and OD green Midwest Industries 15" rail.

Attached Files
  • Harpoon1
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2017

For starters, I'd want to know who made the barrel, and which chamber specification? And, which bolt is in the PSA BC, they dont make Grendel bolts to my knowledge.

And who is selling it, close friend? Or......god forbid, an individual at a gun show who wants cash?
    Last edited by Harpoon1; 01-14-2018, 05:02 PM.

Comment

• Randy99CL
      Warrior
      • Oct 2017

For under $400 you can get a new complete upper from Bear Creek Arsenal. I got a side-charging receiver, 20" barrel, 15" MLok, etc. for $310 with Vet discount. Unfortunately they're out of stock on a lot of their product right now.

Wow, I just looked and all 21 6.5G uppers they offer are out of stock! What are those people doing???
      "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• bj139
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2017

The 6.5 Grendel is all about precision shooting so the barrel is the most important part. Everything else is just window dressing.

Comment

• IescapedCali
          Warrior
          • Sep 2017

Welcome to the forum, smokinggun. You've already gotten some of the best advice available, here. While that may seem like a good way to get a Grendel at a budget-friendly price, there are some questions that need verifiable answers before you hand over your hard-earned dough. It might turn out to be a great value, which makes everyone else jealous of your good luck in picking it up at a great price, or it might torn out to be a couple of good parts with some junk attached. The barrel is going to be the biggest reason you make tiny cloverleaf holes in a bullseye, or it looks like you shot at the target with granddad's shotgun. It's also the one part of that package that isn't given any provenance in the description. Keep your $ until the important parts check out. You'll be happier, later.

Comment

• smokinggun
            Unwashed
            • Feb 2017

Wow! That was fast and a lot of great info! I sure do appreciate it.

The seller is looking at another trade deal so it might not matter anyway but here is what I found out:

The barrel is Anderson 16" 6.5 Grendel 8 twist, that's all he knew about it.

The Bolt came from 65Grendel group buy, I guess here on the forum.

I think I will be keeping an eye on Bear Creek Arsenal to see what comes back in stock. I am hoping for a 20" SS 8" twist barrel rifle gas length. I'm not in a hurry, so I guess that's a good thing.

Thanks again for the warm welcome and for taking care of the new guy.

Bill

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Another good option is a Group Buy Faxon 18” barrel plus a group buy bolt. If you have a vise it is pretty easy to assemble an upper. Right now is a buyers market and there good buys on complete uppers. Classic Firearms sells BCA uppers and might be worth checking out.

Comment

Working...
              X